Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Fully training and preparing two completely separate squads. Without negatively impacting the senior team? Do you think that’s realistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

That’s the perspective of a Leinster supporter. From a Connacht supporters perspective this is really damaging, it was a tough start anyway but we need to get some points on the board and losing four players from the first 23 is a huge blow. Ulster supporters seem to have a similar view.

The reality is that 0-2 is probably the range of players involved who will make the World Cup. I would think zero is far more likely than 3 or more.

When he wrote it as 'The System®' I think he was trying to be facetious, or dismissive of the notion that this is a big part of the rationale behind trying to get the players into this camp.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I get the point, it's a different level of player being targetted here, but realistically, what, 4 of them have a chance at making the RWC? Adding 4 players to an extended squad n the AI's and having mid-week games would be less disruption, and leave all players available for the Provinces outside the Test window.

(Admittedly with all the caveats of who knows if this was even possible etc. etc.)

Though this seem to extend from the summer tour and the extended squad. The goals here seem to be different. There are some players here who are likely to be on the edge or involved in the RWC squad. Some others who won’t be. That suggests their is more than one objective to this tour.

I would guess (pure guesswork) that the ones in this tour, that might make the RWC squad. Will be seen as the leaders and this tour will be a chance to assess how that works.

• Advertisement

Out of interest ClanofLams, who are the 4? (I don't see as much of Connacht as the other Provinces). Would like to update this, which I think gives a pretty good visual of why some Provinces fans may be more supportive of this than others:

I would guess (pure guesswork) that the ones in this tour, that might make the RWC squad. Will be seen as the leaders and this tour will be a chance to assess how that works.

That does seem to be the case to be fair, Frawley in particular; Cian Tracey was on Off the Ball (before the squad was announced) and mentioned this, it's actually quite a good listen.

Dylan Tierney Martin would be sub currently as he is against Ulster tomorrow and for the next month (or potentially starting a game if Heffernan picked up a knock/needed a rest) as Shane Delahunt is injured until mid October. Instead that game time will be wasted on a six month emergency signing Grant Stewart. Maybe wasted is harsh but hard to see him having long term future at Connacht.

Sam Illo is sub tomorrow night, to be fair i had thought Bealham was injured until I just saw in Connacht thread he is only out this week due to NZ tour, so Illo likely wouldn't have made first choice 23 next week but he is an injury away from doing so.

If Dave Hefffernan or Kieran Marmion pick up an injury, Connacht will be screwed in those positons.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I really don’t like the provincial angle this has started to take on. Do you not think Leinster supporters, of all the provincial supporters, get impacted by Team Ireland? Last season we lost to Ulster twice because the internationals weren’t available. That meant Ulster were close to full strength and we were miles off full strength. Do you not think that as a Leinster fan I’d rather watch Furlong, Sexton and Keenan over Ala’alatoa, Ross Byrne and Max O’Reilly?

I have some sympathy for Connacht on this as at least they are contributing their fair share to an Ireland 23. Ulster contribute 1 player to that 23. Who do you think makes up the shortfall? Leinster do. We lose more players than we should to player welfare year after year after year, game after game after game. And so when it comes time to play Ulster in or around an international window we just need to suck it up. We’re not on here playing the victim. Instead we field a massively weakened side to face a near full strength side. And that’s okay, because Team Ireland is what makes rugby on this island what it is.

Its incredibly frustrating to then see people on here moaning and complaining about losing a few players for a few weeks when they are used to not having to deal with that year in, year out. We deal with that all the time. And deal with it more than we should because those same people now moaning get to deal with it less than they should.

Yes we are lucky that we have the depth to manage it, but we only have that depth because we need that depth. Those players wouldn’t be there (through no places being available or no game time driving them elsewhere) if they weren’t needed. And in fact some of those might actually be in other provinces bolstering their ranks if that were the case and making Irish rugby stronger. And we might see something more akin to a fair (not equal) division of internationals around the provinces then. So when an Emerging Ireland tour comes up again we might see a fair division of impact there too. But while Leinster are busy picking up the shortfall elsewhere, how else will an Emerging Ireland squad appear?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

If Marmion goes down injured tomorrow I would hope that Blade would be pulled out of the emerging Ireland squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

There is no way Ahern is in the Munster 23. Who out of Beirne, Snyman and Kleyn is making way for him? Likewise, are Hodnett and Kendellen going to push out JOD out of the 23 completely? The XV for the weekend isn't a good omen.

Blade isn't the starting 9 for Connacht either.

Leinster lose players to proper international rugby though, not some development tour outside of an international window. Appreciate you have players on this too of course.

If four or five Connacht players somehow made the Six Nations squad I would be delighted for them, I would also think it will put Connacht in a bad position for any league games they’re not available for but certainly wouldn’t be unhappy about it.

A tour outside an international window against second tier sides that deprives Connacht of those players for more than 20% of the league is very different imo.

Only 9 posts that’s a new record, even for a re-reg tRoL

It’s also a one off as opposed to a constant. So there’s a difference there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

I see Jim Demps' grammar has improved

I love how we Rock boys too. That’s a good one. I could use the money that I assume comes with the label though…..

Leinster lose those players the same way every club does, Leinster just happens to have a better squad so they lose more. The IRFU deciding to have some development tour against second rate sides and weaken provinces for nearly a quarter of the league season is an entirely separate issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Bealham is injured but is expected to be back in training next week. We have high hopes for Illo, but little to base that on since he moved to Connacht, personally i think he's exactly the sort of player who will benefit from this tour, and we just need to suck up his absence.

DTM is important to us especially because Delahunt is out for at least another couple of months. Stewart is something of an unknown quantity, but the fact that he was available at short notice is indicative that others have passed.

That said, two hard facts: the current design of the URC means that it will be hard to qualify for Europe this year anyway. I would have expected a low return on this opening set of games even without the tour, 2 or 3/5 at best. Second, all this stuff about devaluing the league is nonsense: the provinces are subsidiaries of the IRFU. If AF & co. decide that this tour will be useful for the national program, their word is law, and this is especially so given the results they have delivered.

As a Connacht fan, I'm far more aggravated by the limitations on the province's budget so that we couldn't get the TH that we really do need. That's a legitimate complaint IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

something about that level of paranoia and obsession with where people went to school when they were children seems oddly familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

To those concerned about one injury leaving their province down to the bare bones during this tour...

I think there's a good chance that if a province gets an injury that really hinders them, the IRFU will let them keep their player from the Emerging Ireland squad.

For example, if Marmion was to get injured, I think Blade then wouldn't travel to SA. Or if Stockdale got injured, Ulster would be allowed to keep Baloucoune/McIlroy. Or if Ben Healy got injured, Crowley would stay with Munster.

I’m fairly sure that Rock boys thought my school were knackers.

That was way to coherent for Jim.

They are clearly devaluing the league. I’m not sure what you’re on about their word being law, of course they have the authority to do this, that doesn’t mean they should.

But taking 35 lads or whatever number to play second tier South African teams outside the international windows and causing them to miss a quarter of the league devalues the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Funny thing is, I never actually went to Blackrock.

I think I just commented about how impressive their Senior Cup side was last season.

Ah ya, it’s just to give an idea; for example, at the moment Snyman continues to be unavailable after less than 60 minutes of rugby for us over the last 2 seasons.

I’ve put Hodnett / Kendellen there as one or other. I think, given his performances towards the end of last season, there’s a good chance Kendellen could be our starting 7 with JOD on the bench.

And didn’t Blade overtake Marmion last season?

In any case, the larger point is that, say, Prendergast is more important to Connacht than Deegan is to Leinster.

I think it’s fair to go as far as saying Prendergast is more important to them than Doris.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

its not a strawman as you are doing that very thing in your third parapgraph. None of that can be gauged accurately as its a nothing tour. None of the pressures will be on, therefore it does nothing to prepare them for anything. they hit the ground running and what? we know Penny and Kendallan are future internationals. beating around the bush is just a nonsense. we didn't do it with Ryan, Porter, etc. just put the lads in when you can. We've seen this time and time again with the development stuff. a waste of time. Just pick the guys. In fairness AF is doing that part the best of any previous Irish coach bar gatland.

and besides we have coaches on record saying they are looking to the tour to build depth for the World Cup. so doing the very thing you claim is a straw man.

Interesting insight from Bernard Jackman on Off the Ball. Provinces were very unhappy with tour, so the players now going are not the ones Farrell and Co had in mind to travel, they wanted to bring players who are much closer to senior squad, almost the second string. That would have at least made sense from a World Cup perspective, rather than this squad who will likely have 0-2 players in RWC 23. Very poor communication that this wasn't resolved before IRFU committed to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

I didn't hear OtB yet so not entirely up to date with what was discussed but my initial thoughts on the tour were that it was supposed to give us depth for RWC23 but then looking at the squad named for the tour it almost looks like RWC27 is the target and then you have to wonder will there be any real benefit in taking the players away from their provinces just as the season kicks off.

Advertisement