Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Next Door to Social House

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

lols...russian roulette - the clue is in the name...it's a gamble, a game of chance...if you can't work out simple probabliity from the analogy given then really you should just stop as you're probably arguing from some point of misunderstanding more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

That's not what a Freudian slip is. I've been pretty up front in saying that having a council house next door is a recipe for disaster. For it to be Freudian slip, I'd have to give away an opinion I was trying to conceal.

Again. Council tenants are far more likely to be horrendous neighbours than owner occupiers. There's simply no way around this.

If you think I'm talking about your parents, then maybe it's you who is making the Freudian slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Run away. You shouldn't have to live next door to scumbags when you're paying for the house yourself.

It was just that you are coming across in your posts as being a bit upset with multiple posters experiences. Its petty and not benefitting the OP, its starting to derail the thread.

I also didn't realize you had to have a specific post count before you could engage with other posters. Or do you just want to silence people when their views don't align with your own? All we are doing is offering our opinion, yours is valid and mine is also, the OP can use this info to make an informed decision.

The definition of prejudice you lazily pulled off the internet actually contradicts you calling us prejudiced "preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience" most have provided reasoning and experiences. Maybe you could go back to your online dictionary to try and find a new word to put us back in our box.

Usually someone new who comes in hot the way you did, is usually just a re-reg troll.

Look, you can argue until you're blue in the face, the fact is the bias / prejudice / discrimination / whatever you want to call it, against social housing and social tenants is rife on this forum, as has been proven by yourself and many others on this thread.

Basically, "I've nothing against social tenants, they're not all bad, and they have to live somewhere - JUST NOT NEAR ME."

I don't know what kind of social housing free enclave you expect to live in, or expect the OP to find to live in, but sure knock yourself out in your search. That's not how it is anymore.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

FYI for anyone buying in a new build, you can generally look up the planning documents online and they will have the Part V houses marked on the plans. If they're not explicitly marked out, then it will tell you what type of house is Part V and you can see where this type is located on the plans.

Just if you want to put some distance if you have the choice of houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

The issue is that those who are unable to house themselves have a higher chance of being unable to look after other aspects of their lives. It is of course possible to have bad neighbours who own the house themselves, but I think the likelihood is lower. Mixing private and social housing could work if the council did their job and ensured that people looked after the place. They don't though, like a lot of things in Ireland there is zero responsibility.

You appear to love labeling people, I'm just somebody who has joined boards and is offering an opinion the fact you don't like it doesn't automatically make me a Troll.

You're the one that wanted to label it prejudice, I was just pointing out that you were incorrect.

When things do go wrong there is a big difference between sharing a estate with social housing and sharing a partition wall with social housing.

I've offered all the advice I can, I didn't come here to have defend my experience to you. I'm going to leave it here I suggest you do the same and try to enjoy the rest of your day, but feel free to continue arguing with other posters if that how you get your jollies.

Best of luck OP, its a difficult decision. Bye.

I didn't say it did. I said it usually means a re-reg troll. The jury is still out on that one.

For the record, I never asked you or anyone else to defend you experience. However plenty of posters were happy to jump on me for mine. I don't see you going down their throats.

When things do go wrong there is a big difference between sharing a estate with social housing and sharing a partition wall with social housing.

Yes there is. You can complain to the local authority. Good luck dealing with a private landlord or owner occupier on the other side of the partition when there is a problem.

I am still of the opinion that if a buyer rejects a perfectly good house for no other reason, than the adjoining house being a social house, then that is an inherently prejudiced.

At least own it and be honest about it.

Bye. 👋

• Advertisement

The council aren't really known for dealing with problem tenants. I would say you would probably be better off with a private landlord. The council still needs to house a problem family and as long as they are not living beside those working in the council they seem to be fine with it. If the council actually did their job and ensured that those who are in social housing look after the place and do not engage in anti-social behavior, there wouldn't be the fear of living beside council tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The council has pretty much zero tools to ensure that their tenants do not engage in ASB.

They could move people on. Other people shouldn't have to deal with anti-social behavior. I think the least someone who is receiving heavily subsidised/free housing can do is follow the rules. The council shouldn't be allow people to run scrap yards on the property (as someone mentioned above) or allow them to have dogs that bark all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Your first sentence! That says it all...them and us! So patronising... I had terrible neighbours as an owner occupier. And your last sentence is as bad...and they were owner occupiers who thought they owned the world..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Your middle para is outrageous. And inaccurate.

Well, I haven't found the Council to be as weak and toothless as some suggest.

The one time a few years ago, I did approach them about a (now former) neighbour lighting fires in his back garden during the night to burn rubbish, it was dealt with very swiftly.

Like I said, you only ever hear about the bad cases.

From other threads I think it is clear we have different opinions about what we can reasonably expect from state employees. The fact that so many people fear living beside social housing is down to the reality that in most cases nothing will be done. I don't have a particular issue with the idea of social housing (I grew up in a council estate in Dublin), the issue is with the authorities not dealing with problem tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,468 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Not ALL council tenants err......I mean new members, are trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Just want to throw my own hat in the ring here, we have friends who live beside a terraced social house, the neigbours who live there are absolutely no problem at all although they are very quiet

The issue is if you want to get anything like repairs done on a shared wall or chimney stack be prepared for a big bill as the council only want their own, more expensive "framework" builders working on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭victor8600

I have suggested the OP to buy a villa with no neighbours within a shouting distance, but somehow my advice was not taken seriously.

Let me explain. If the OP has no budgetary constraints, then why would we discuss this? The best neighbours are not social tenants, or owner occupiers, or AirB&B guests. The best neighbours are not heard nor seen unless you want them to be seen. Their kids do not bounce footballs off your car. Their teenagers do not smoke hash hiding behind your house. You don't want to find some neighbour's guest car blocking your house when you come back from work.

So we can assume that the OP has a limit of €XXX K to buy a house. It will not be an ideal house, some compromises will have to be made. Would you buy a damp house, but without a social house next door? No space to put your car, but with owner occupiers on both sides? No suitable school nearby? Unless you already know that the social house has troublesome tenants already, I would consider the risk of having bad social house tenants to be less important than choosing things that you can actually have control over (location, state of the house, etc).

Having a bad tenant placed beside you would have a much larger impact on the quality of your life than anything else you mention.

If an owner occupier or renter lived next door they could have a much bigger impact on your life also... But with a council house at least you have an outlet to complain to (the council housing board) if the tennants need turfing out

I'd hate to have no neighbours. Get on great with mine and adds to my appreciation of my house.

The likelihood of having a social tenant with issues is far, far higher though. If you look at the statistics for who the applicants are https://assets.gov.ie/219921/a5419e65-a5ff-4c84-80de-1f18919e0c73.pdf

53% are unemployed (not including back to work schemes or single parent allowance), slightly higher in Dublin. I think it is fair to say that in a time of very low unemployment an inability to find work might be indicative of other problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,799 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

We live in a really lovely quiet part of Dublin close to the city centre and I've unfortunately some social housing across the road from me.

It's a beautiful end of terrace house that was done up by the council not too long ago. Has a great big side garden on it too which none of the other houses on the street have. On the open market you'd probably get 450k for it. Would be a lovely family home for a couple starting off.

They have it in an absolute state. Garden totally going to waste. Fencing around the garden has all but fallen down and just left to lie on the ground. Been like that for months. They routinely dump bags of rubbish and broken toys/other household waste on the streets around their house, which I've to log a call with the council to get rid of as it just sits there otherwise.

It's the only council house on the road, everyone else are owner occupiers and take a lot of pride in their homes and the road. Between us we put a lot of effort in cleaning the place up, deweeding, planting flowers etc.

It's a real case of people getting something for free/next to free and not having any sense of it's value or pride in it. Really sad to see.

Yes often. Re-regs are a big problem on this forum.

Do you know what "usually" means?

• Advertisement

All of that is statistically true, it doesn't mean they're gonna be bad neighbours though

450K for a STARTER home? I don't think many first time buyers can afford that

Advertisement