Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A global recession is on the horizon - please read OP for mod warning

Options

Comments

I'm reading about the budget and it looks like hand outs all around... I don't get it...

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭i124Q

Never mind a recession, anybody see that baby seal on that block of ice that melted and then the seal went on to drown before it could reach adulthood. That's the real issue here.

Ref:Frozen Planet II - Episode 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Its quite simple this government is a dead man walking I can see a G.E within the next 12 months and in effect they are thrown the shinners a hospital pass as borrowing will not be an option with interest rates and we are already over taxed and our services are still not up to scratch for what we pay. In effect the shinners will either have to roll back on their promises or make really unpopular decisions and what FF/G will be banking on is that people remember the last budget they presided over "the great give away"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

What don't you get? The exchequer return figures are extraordinarily ahead of where they were forecast to be on budget day last year. The Government has a huge cash surplus to support once off payments to tackle the energy crisis that has arisen primarily due to the war in Ukraine.

• Advertisement

This is not about rising cost of fert,this is about shortage of it.The fert factories are closing down around Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

What did you learn exactly, all they did was share "oh noes" and talk about the war in Ukraine. I know it is relevant to a degree but it was clear by how much they brought it up that their driving motive was to shout for their side and argue against any sniff of a negative view of the economy in case it might reflect badly on the Ukraine response. People were talking about the economy with no mention of the war and they would be in straight away talking Putin or Russia. Sure they created an account called Darth Putin only a few months ago for that very purpose, can't really expect anything less.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Rising cost of fert is due to those shutdowns in fert production. Its one in the same.

Even if there was no fert we could still grow, but with reduced yields. The problem isnt that we couldnt grow anything - its that with more expensive fert or else reduced yields, is it worth it for farmers to grow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Sf will get a free pass as some of the spending will look so irresponsible that people won't want to see greens etc for a decade again, rinse and repeat.

He had some excellent links and was able to counter some of the doomsday posting on this thread. I would never censor any poster.

• Advertisement

People are very fickle. The greens should be voted out of existence their mandate is phucking over every individual in the country and to think we are a crumb in this world when it comes to climate control we could have our engines running and cars running all day and night and we will still be insignificant with regards to our omissions versus the likes of China and their mantra of putting on things like carbon tax and telling us public transport and bikes are the way to go is such a crook of sh1t. I wouldnt mind the carbon tax if there was a viable alternative with regards to public transport in the country. Yet I can see FF/FG sitting on the sideline next year with Leo telling us that those who get up in the morning will be rewarded again even do he dif feck all for the working man/woman and some will fall for it again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

There was a piece in the farming Indo last week that teagasc project costs to rise by up to 65% for tillage farmers next year. You might as well go to Vegas n play roulette with the farm- at least you'll have a bit of craic along the way!

I agree. However I don't see too many people fertilising their lawns and yet they have their lawnmowers out every week of every year until October. Beef farmers may need to cut down on numbers to adjust to lower grass yield but as JohnnyC135 said there are other methods for keeping the soil from nutrient depletion in the short-medium term. Many beef farmers would have 2nd jobs where I live in West Galway. Viability has always been a concern and will continue to be.

It's the dairy industry that will get hit the hardest. They have a very intensive paddock rotation system which needs heavy fertiliser use to maintain. They will need to consider reducing herd size or accept less output per cow.

Again the point is that we will continue to produce these animal foods (and plant foods) but productivity will be impacted and costs will rise....but farmers know what they are doing and we will not go hungry in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Yes you are completely correct, his/hers very first post was on this thread, I remember it well and I accused them of being disingenuous and lone behold I was reported by DarthPutin and got a warning from a moderator that date was 12/07/2022. So from the get go I always knew there was something strange about that account, as you rightly say anything that was mentioned negatively about the economy was immediately turned into dung flinging over Ukraine v Russia or West vs East.

I replied to Darths first post "First post of this account, private account and a name like that, why are these bots allowed to operate on boards" (not that bad at all IMO). It was reported straight away and I got a warning. I found these extremely odd especially when you see how one sided and agenda pushing this account was and I still think if this person was not in fact a bot then why bother reporting me that time on their very first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭riddles

I would much prefer a ban on Chinese imports than a carbon tax here. We only have one atmosphere and their production is based on coal fired power stations and I’d wager limited air filtration etc 70% of their power is generated via coal as well. Then there is the pollution of transport shipping containers. It’d be much better for our economy also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭timmyntc

But you see thats the issue - cutting the stocking rates a small bit sounds trivial but could be difference between making money (with grants) or losing it. If you're losing money, you dont farm at all.

Once input costs start to push beyond a certain threshold, food production in this country will drop quite a big bit - we will not have mass starvations, but we will see domestic ag shrink significantly if it cannot compete with cheaper stuff abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Its very difficult to have viable public transport when cars take such precedence on our roads. Its a chicken and egg situation, until we get cars off the road our public transport will be poor, and while its poor we won't get cars off the road.

Sorry its not chicken and egg. Its build up the public transport to a decent standard like nearly every other major city on the planet and then you do things like carbon tax if people want to continue driving then they pay that. We pay an extra ordinary amount of tax to have a decent public transport system so no chicken, no egg, we have paid the money through tax, deliver the alternative before trying to squeeze more. You don't put up tax and give the person no other alternative than to pay more after pontificating for more than a decade by telling the people we should be using diesel and not petrol. Also we have the reinstatement of ministerial garda protected cars/drivers again so they wont be putting their hands in their own pockets for carbon tax they wont even be paying for petrol or the car , the tax payer gets to pick up that bill too. If they want to set the standard let them all jump on a bike or use public transport and lead from the front. As usual its one rule for the peasants and one for those with power. We need a general election this crowd have their head in the sand and after this winter there will be no where for them to hide.

Yes fair enough but I would hope that the fertiliser supply chains can resolve themselves over the next 1-2 years without the dependence on Russian gas. Grants are a factor and complex but the basic payments scheme is determined by how many hectares you have. There are other grants available that could be looked at if farmers are forced to pivot short term and some would depend on the quality of the land available e.g greening, grass to arable, protein crops, forestry, organic etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭brickster69

British pound to be suspended from exchange, trading, settlement, clearing operations on the Moscow stock exchange from 3rd October.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Still waiting on the recession...has anybody thought of what happens if we don't get a recession...CBs keep raising rates demand dosent drop and inflation persists....

Great move which should reduce some anxiety around the winter.

Energy regulator says no disconnections this winter (rte.ie)

Commission for Regulation of Utilities says no disconnections this winter

There will be no disconnections this winter for anyone, the Commission for Regulation of Utilities (CRU) has told an Oireachtas committee.

A total moratorium on disconnections will operate from 1 December to the end of February, the regulator told the Committee on Environment and Climate Action.

Not really that great. It's already starting to get a bit cold and I could definitely see needing to switch the heating on in the next few weeks. Plus it can get pretty cold in march as well.

Are you being adversarial? 😂

They will hardly cut people off after missing 1 billing cycle (usually 2 months).

We'll see what happens as we approach March.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

German government bails out Uniper, well 99%

Presumably takes on it's outstanding liabilities and debt also.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

EU easing restrictions on transportation of products. Good to get the coal price down since it has trebled in price and making electric more expensive to produce.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭riddles

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It is chicken and egg, nothing you have said disputes it. It is extremely difficult to improve public transport without taking cars off the road. Nobody seems mature enough to admit it. You can bang on about tax all you like but unless you're happy with closing down major parts of cities for redevelopment our transport infastructure will not improve, and you can guranteee people would be up in arms if they did it. So until people are willing to take the inconvenience, our system will always be below par.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Why do you have to close down major parts of cities to provide buses to rural areas?

Advertisement