Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I must have. Problem is the bills are soaring faster than I put up panels and what I have is only generating about 1/3 of usage even in de summer. If I plastered everything I would have to get in 3 phase or racks full of batteries and I'd have well over 20KW and no idea what to do with it all. There is only 1 nice stretch of south facing roof though and maybe I can put 4-6KW up on that. The rest is mostly east west and some of it badly shaded so much lower yield stuff

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Aspect Jealousy

It's a real thing, I was down in Limerick yesterday and empty S facing shadeless roof space kept catching my eye when en route

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If your main vehicle was an EV, you could dump an enormous amount of electricity into it. My own car is charging at 6kW at the moment, purely from excess PV production (while our awful hungry condensing dryer is running too)

Ha I am a long way off having that kind of surplus yet. I won't get ahead o myself

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Any fancy setting up a Ripple type co-op here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbIF3kB4EtY

Yep, I would be in. Need to see some figures of course.

A very quick sanity check sum to see what sort of investment we are talking about. Their new project of 8 wind turbines in Scotland has 5600 private owners and 19 businesses (lets say each business invests as much 20 private owners) and it raised GBP30 million. That's £5k each.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I'd be keen - their website shows that you can invest in blocks of whatever you want.

Ripple Energy | How it works

Doesn't look like a fixed amount. Makes total sense to me, especially for those of us who longed for a wind turbine, but are living in the middle of a housing estate. Anything similar in Ireland ?

Interesting and simple concept but a few things, she mentioned Smart Meters, hopefully not another forced route for same. Investment maxed at 120% current electricity usage, no problem for me with two EVs (consumed 102kWh yesterday) but could be for others. She also mentioned solar which would disinterest me as I’d be looking for more offset and wind generates at night. Finally, I wonder would they consider large scale batteries to peak shift…..would have to see the hard financial numbers though including end of life and also carbon costs of construction and said end of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,913 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Anyone any experience with wind turbines?

Been looking at this for a while but finally saw something that makes sense. Note I know it is better to spend less money for more return on solar.

3kw Wind Turbine 48v - Irish Wind Turbine - CarbonFreeHeat Ireland

• Advertisement

That's off-grid. Do you really want the hassle / huge cost per kWh in a house that has a grid connection where simply buying from the grid will be cheaper than maintaining that system, even if it gives "free" electricity from wind?

Could be connected in such a way that it keeps batteries from hybrid inverter topped up

Why is it off grid?

It would feed into a charge controller and 48v battery anyway. Then feed that into the inverter. If it goes from a 48v battery to a grid tied 48v inverter?

(Also, my ultimate aim is to be completely off grid)

I'll never be able to drift into Wind due to planning restrictions (in an estate) but good luck to you as a long term plan.

There's a specific thread you should read but in summary it's a high investment for very low/questionable returns, perhaps a dino juice generator is on the cards.

I did see a good YT video on a Cork install with 6kW wind turbine and panels hooked up to a lot of pylontech batteries, perhaps search for that?

Polish sounding guy? Yeah I've seen that one too.

I'm rural so it's not an issue unless the cows complain. The thought would be to supplement solar with other generation that could come in times of low solar

I waited over year between my first array and second, more like 1.5yrs, wanted to see the sun around the garden and where it hit etc. Solar is a long game for those of us that want to keep going at it. If you truly want to max your solar potential then you got to go adjustable tilt ground mounts next. Max generation angle for me is 60deg in June and 14deg in Dec for example, a monthly tilt is all that is required and no real additional cost if figured out from the word go

Not quite the way it works but you could have a wind charge controller charging your batteries and then a hybrid grid tied inverter also charging the batteries from PV and discharging them based on your house load.

Beware of wind though and listen to the thousands of people who have tried it (like me). Or just be as stubborn as all of us were, do it anyway and find out for yourself it doesn't work (or to be more precise: the returns are appalling for the money invested) 😂

This is perhaps the best video (from a wind engineer) that I've seen about domestic wind.

(708) Wind Turbines for Home: Is it Worth It? - YouTube

It's doable in some locations in Ireland. Out rural it's definitely more workable than in urban as you can erect a 15-20m pole and get into the less turbulent air, but while it looks great in theory (the wind will be blowing when the sun is poor in winter etc) you can see from the video that there are ... challanges.

That said, I'm rooting for you and anyone else in ireland who wants to give it a lash. I know if I had the land i would be doing something similar. More so out of the fun of it than any "fiscal breakeven" aspect, but everyone to their own.

That's it. I'm not interested necessarily in making each and every part of the system I end up with pay for itself, moreso that we are off grid and no longer have a meter connected. That's the ultimate goal. I dont care if I end up spending 50k+ on that goal. I'm currently nearly at 30k (including some parcels on their way to me ) and no where near capable of off grid. So far on a good day we're covering 100% of use but on a bad day and/or a day we need a full charge in the car, we're struggling to even get to night rate on the batteries.

This to me points a need for a) more more batteries, and b)other options. I have a generator 7kVa but that would be last resort

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭DC999

Hydro / water turbine is also a runner for those lucky enough to be 'in the wilderness'. Needs a 10+meter drop (it seems and more is better) and some small river to dam. This lad in UK has amazing videos and made his own and sells them now (custom makes for UK off grid setups). Hydro electric system - YouTube. KrisHarbour if link won't work. Deffo worth a binge. He's several water feeds into the turbine. All I know of it is the YouTube I binged on, never seen in real life :)

He uses solar, wind (made his own turbine) and water (made that too). Only runs hydro in winter when solar dies (no water / need for it outside that). He's it setup to an app so if there is too much water, he can turn them off remotely so won't get damaged. They are far from 'set and forget'. Needs maintance to remove crap from blocking it, air in pipes slowing flow, turbines break..... But when it runs tis a thing o' beauty!! Even if you've no interest in hydro, or live in a housing estate like I do, it's class to watch. Makes me wanna live on 'acreage' :)

Others have done similar with a vertical drop of X meters. Can't recall offhand where on YouTube, but UK fella doing that to create open source plans for developing nations to access them dirt cheap. He got a fairly 500w constant from a wavin pipe and MacGyver parts from only something like a 5m drop. He wants to get to people being able to 3D print parts . Once it's running and you get a 'vacum' it seems to accelerate the flow so gives better turbine speed (so more juice). His one has way less stress on it (and less output) than the hardcore punter above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I wonder if you had the hill but no river, could you get two precast tanks and make a closed loop pumped hydro system. Could use it as a big old battery and couple it to a ground mounted array

Could use rainwater to fill it and it would also provide an irrigation backup in dry summer months

Of course you need land for all of this to work, not really a runner for those of us in housing estates

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Fair phux ELM327 hope u manage to get off the grid. I'd say its definitely doable with the stuff that's available now

Sounds good, also sounds like it deserves it's own thread ELM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭DC999

That's the punter. Ta for digging it out. Great video to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭jkforde

"I dont care if I end up spending 50k+ on that goal."

woah, so have you maxed the home in terms of house & appliance efficiency, minimum heat & air loss, etc etc? and sincere kudos for your dedication!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

2 EVs, a large house and presumably you are going to heat with electricity too? I guess you will have to come up with a system that produces 50-60kWh per day in winter when there are plenty of days you will get almost nothing from PV. Hope your land is on a steep hill, then you can do hydro. Otherwise that fossil fuel generator you are talking about is going to be very busy (polluting the air around you) as a wind generator won't cut it for your budget unless you build it from scratch yourself maybe. I very much doubt you will go this route as it is a major step up from just clicking a few solar PV panels into each other or connecting a few bus bars to battery cells. But if you do, have a look at Hugh Piggott's stuff.

Not even nearly. But that's in progress too. The main part of the house is from the mid 80's so we're limited somewhat but I've had the walls pumped. The attic is already pretty well insulated too. At the moment the worst part of the house for heat loss are the fireplaces. And I like fireplaces, we have wood burning stoves in them and a garage full of logs from the site to burn!

Yes, I've been researching electric boilers to replace the current oil. You are of course correct, my level of comfort is fine for clicking panels together or building battery banks etc but I doubt building a wind generator is going to be my forte.

There's always the law of diminishing returns. But this isnt something that is going to be done in year 1. My aim for the next 6-12 months is to understand the gaps in production, and to extend the amount of time we're off grid, and also to supplement the installed system with some small complementary additions.

I'm glad you're taking the sensible approach and not just pumping €50k in a wind generator with the lofty aim to go off grid whatever the cost!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Advertisement