Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Which politicians and bureaucrats house their tenants in slums?

Many politicians are very likely to be out of the Dail after the next election because of housing issues, it is very much in their interest to improve the situation. And there are many reasons for the slow down in building which are unconnected to politicians like planning, labour shortage, availability and cost of materials. Also, politician’s targets are often aspirational, missing them isn’t unusual.

It will be interesting to see the publics reaction if SF are elected to Government, when they can’t deliver on all their promises and miss their targets.

Oh dont worry, the delusional experts on here still think they know more than him!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Balluba

Todays Irish Independent carries a story about Glenveagh Homes selling a development of 140 apartments to be completed in 2 years in Blackrock Co Dublin to a German cuckoo fund - Union Investment.

Last year this same fund bought another development of 435 apartments in Ashtown Dublin 15. These one and 2 bed apartments will NEVER come on the open market where owner occupiers can buy them. THEY are all to be rented out.

If a protest is arranged about this I will be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,044 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Very good read and makes a lot of sense for anyone to understand. We are looking at a very different property crash to 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Virtually every new apartment development in Dublin doesn't hit the market for sale, I just find it amazing that nobody cares until its a housing estate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭quokula

Protest at high rents. Also protest at new properties being made available for rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Raw material cost was yesterday's news most materials are back at pre war prices and falling, availability of labour and wage inflation not an issue as reported by glenveigh during the quarter with the greatest inflation impact. Govt targets were set low and not revised to take account of the jump in population or refugee influx.

The industry knows it's dealing with the village/nation idiot in the government and will extract every last cent out the government.

A slowdown would be the perfect opportunity for a government to pick up the slack and meet its targets.

Over the last decade opportunity after opportunity has been passed up to fix this but gov appear disinterested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Protest on 24 September. It seems to be a general protest though with no clearly stated means to reduce the cost of living, i.e. looks like more borrowing is the answer not better regulation...

Houses due for delivery today would have had to break ground months ago. Just because prices are lower today doesn’t mean you can turn a key in the door tomorrow.

I believe the concern about targets is commencements, maybe this crowd could switch on the afterburners, again if there is slack, have projects ready

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,038 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Raw materials costs unfortunately isnt yesterdays news, certain costs have come down, steel, aluminium etc but interest rates have increased, fuel prices remain high as do logistics. From what ive seen prices of construction increased early this year and they have stayed at that level overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

This will all be dropping over the next 6 - 18 months China are out as a building market and I cant see them recovering for a few years and as building stalls all over the world there will be a glut of raw materials that have been produced but no one wanting them at the prices they are currently at. So they can either warehouse which would cost storage and stop production which would also means job losses and other losses to the companies or they can reduce the cost of the raw materials in order to move those materials on. There will be a bit of pigheadedness with this as the gravy has been flowing into their coffers for the last number of years but we are living in straightened times. Producers of raw materials and builders will have to accept a thinner profit margin and compete or hit the wall .

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

You don't understand, there is no demand from individuals to buy them. Only big funds will buy them. So you will line up to live in them and pay €2.5k per month in rent and be thankful that they have been built at all because it's all your fault we don't have new apartments on the open market for not being able to afford them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

You'll forgive my being a trifle hyperbolic, but many politicians are invested in property. This is known. I don't think that we need to drop names, and probably that would be against forum rules.

The state has, as I see it, done nothing to reduce rents or lower house prices. It has, conversely, done a lot to either directly or indirectly increase them. Indeed, I don't believe that anyone in government or the civil service has even said that they wish to reduce rents or house prices. All that we have seen is "supports", or to speak more honestly, giving people more money, which inflates prices.

What can we draw from this? Well, it seems very clear to me that the state WANTS high prices to remain. Be under no illusion, a sizable chunk of the population wants this too, so in that sense, the state is giving this demographic what it wants. Unfortunately, this is more of the maddingly short-sighted, boomernomics that is crippling the West.

I agree completely that Sinn Fein will not be able to deliver on most of what they promise, because what they are promising is having one's cake and eating it. Regardless of who is in power, the apparatus of the state itself doesn't change much. The system is set up to drive up accommodation prices, and voting in a gang of lefty lunatics and economic illiterates won't change very much.

I absolutely agree with you that in an effort to curb rent rises, Government meddling has had the opposite effect, pushing rents up and Landlords out. For that they deserve to be pilloried.

But I’m not sure how you think they can do anything more to drive rents down. They can’t magically build houses to rent, much as investment funds are despised on boards, they are the only ones providing rental properties in any meaningful way at the moment. If the Government reduce rental supports, the unintended consequence would be the eviction of those who rely on it.

I really don’t see the issue with politicians owning rental properties as long as they declare them, I doubt anyone could accuse this Government of introducing any legislation which favours landlords, if anything the legislation has been decidedly unfavourable.

When mom and pop landlords leave the market the only ones left with the money to invest in rentals are these large cuckoo funds. Excessive regulation and tax agreements for the large funds has made rentals unpalatable for small investors. These funds are pressured by investors to make a maximum return which keeps investment coming in, when the cuckoo funds have the market cornered and there is little to no competition rents will continue to rise. We will end up like a lot or major US cities where rents are eye watering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭PommieBast

@RichardAnd

What can we draw from this? Well, it seems very clear to me that the state WANTS high prices to remain. Be under no illusion, a sizable chunk of the population wants this too, so in that sense, the state is giving this demographic what it wants. Unfortunately, this is more of the maddingly short-sighted, boomernomics that is crippling the West.

Looking back to Michael Noonan stating in 2014 that he wanted prices to continue rising it is now pretty clear that reinflating the bubble is no accident.

The rental crisis isn't only in Ireland I have heard numerous times, seems to be no shortage in UK if NHS can offer accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

So, if cash is king as McWilliams stated in his blog,

Assume you are now renting and but also sitting on a cash pile of €1,000,000 ,

What is you best course of action right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That was because houses were below building costs. There are parts of Ireland you can still buy houses below building costs. Builders will not build at a loss.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

This idea of mom and pop landlords is a bit of a red herring.

People who were traditionally invested in property are still invested in property.

A lot of people have left the private rental sector as landlords because they were in negative equity for years on so called starter homes like apartments and small houses that they are now able to sell. These people were operating as landlords because they had no other choice and many of them were renting larger properties for themselves and their families to live in.

The funds are attracted to Ireland because there's no regulation on how they operate, developers are happy to take funding from them because it simplifies their lives.

Foreign investment funds are operating in Ireland because they can not because small time investors are leaving the rental sector.

Glazers Out!

What is your source for this?

Why is it that you think that it is only accidental LLs that are leaving the sector? I am not an accidental landlord, I bought rental properties cheap in 2012 with cash. As my tenants left I have sold properties and will continue to do so until they are gone. I have considered terminating the tenancies but am happy to leave them in situ until it becomes a foregone conclusion that SF will form the next government (for that either FF or FG will have to agree to go into coalition, which is my no means a certainty). If that comes to pass, termination notices will be issued and the apartments will be sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

Continue renting, we are on the cusp of a crash. Its already underway in most assets, coming to Irish property soon.

My fav thing about this thread is all the "experts" who think the market cant crash because supply and blah blah blah.

This is always the same. There is always a reason to keep the people buying right to the top.

Who said the market can’t crash? Name one poster who said that.

You can read yourself. General sentiment by most people on here.

No understanding of the market.

• Administrators Posts: 53,757 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think you have no understanding of what is actually being said.

Link to one post that said the market can’t crash!

Because building a series of almost identical small buildings is a like for like comparison with a large hospital project on a restricted site with extensive political meddling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

Leave Ireland, live somewhere cheaper to live off the cash.

Advertisement