Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Witness Summons - The District Court

• 20-09-2022 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭

Just received the summons from local Garda regarding accident in February.

I am expected to be at District Court on 28/09.

I understand that Jury service is normally paid time off, is there a similar agreement in place for a witness at district court?

It is a drink driving case where the person hit few cars and I am out of pocket already(don't ask) despite the insurance company fixing my car so the last thing I want to do is to lose more money for just attending the court.

Does district court witness summons warrants a paid day off from work or should I try to be excused?

Thanks.

Comments

Being a witness (citizensinformation.ie)

Being excused is not an option...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,093 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Tell the garda that you will need witness expenses including loss of wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I will based on the link above. Thanks.

The last thing I want is to lose money again due to this person's lack of judgement.

I will check with HR, maybe they will pay me anyway, but wanted to see what's the general rule is regarding the summons.

I won't mind seeing the book thrown at the accused tbh ;)

Called the local station today and she (the prosecuting Garda) won't be in until Monday evening so not sure if I get a chance to discuss wit her before the seating.

Awaiting an answer from work, too as they normally are very flexible in terms of pay for missed days when some paperwork is provided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭2021_AP

The link above is a little out of date but close enough, you are entitled to loss of earnings, travel and subsistence. You will need to supply the case manager/prosecuting garda with a letter on headed paper from your employment stating how much money you make per day and they will submit this and some other paperwork to the relevant garda station where you will be paid either by cheque or eft depending on what area you are in

• Advertisement

Well in the end I didn't have to attend - it is the first hearing and the Gardai in charge said all depends if she pleads guilty or not.

If not then the case will be heard some time next year and then I will be required to attend.

If she pleads guilty that's it.

Thanks for the info. Wish they have just told me that when handing in the summons that they don't require me there at all today.

Advertisement