Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overgrown field

Options
  • 18-09-2022 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭

Lads, have a field which is overgrown mad with gorse, over six foot high and nearly meeting in the middle. Long story. Anyway, what's the best job for this? Too rough for a flail mower. I saw a lad had a machine for this a few years back locally but I can't remember what it was...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭893bet

A digger will make short work of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Digger or maybe a mulcher would be fit for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Why do you say it's too rough for a flail? Has it rocks or something in it?

I have a flail / verge mower and it would have no problem with whins / furze and make mulch out of them. It just needs enough hp in front of it. If there is no known rocks in it then the flail is the job. And you get green manure along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

Would you mind letting me know the type of mower you have? Would it knock 6ft whins and mulch them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭epfff

I have an 9ft agrimaster with hammers.

It would have good effort at them @ 2km/h 600rpm.

Took about an acre out 2 years ago in not much with an hour. Wasn't perfect clean as some escaped under but went back over it again in few months later and this spring.

Got slurry each time after and regrowth seem to be minimal atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

It's a Clontrac / Jansen 2.2metre verge mower / flail. It has hammer flails the same as Epfff and swings out to the side so no need to be driving over rough stuff.

Yes it will knock and mulch them. A very slow process but it will do the job very good. If the flail comes across something real heavy, it just sits back against the rotor. But a rock is something different, goodbye flail. The main requirement is horsepower, the more the merrier.

Advertisement