Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oulwans n' Oulfellas Rock On!

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,137 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to add, what those pictures show is if your first name is Paul or Tom, or your surname is Jones, the chances are you have many years ahead of you. Fortunately I do qualify on that front😄

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If you're called all three, you're immortal. 😁

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,137 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The next ones on my list are (yet again) Paul Jones (79 years and 280 days) and Tom Jones at 79 years and 270 days

Recent additions include John Paul Jones (Of Led Zeppelin fame) at 76 years 243 days, and Mick Jones (Foreigner) 77 years 124 days

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I am already older than the three you mentioned..

WHAT a way to live your retirement. And not a golf course in sight- and so much more interesting.

Saying that, the "greats" are dying or dead- Saw James Taylor a few months ago in the "Point" - he's one of the young ones at this stage. Saw Paul Weller also in October but again, he's 60's now- a young chap compared to McCartney.

I'm a regular looker on the gigs thread so I saw your recent photos- was wondering what you were up to going to the likes of Australian Pink Floyd - now I know- best wishes and ENJOY every minute-

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

This made me laugh. I was talking to an aunt of mine who had been speaking with a distant cousin who lives in Australia. Said cousin is turning 100 in May. She told my aunt that she's really annoyed that Queen Elizabeth died before her, now she'll have to make do with a card from Charles instead! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Oldness should be an aspiration not a condition.!

We encourage the younger to aspire to jump higher ,run faster but we do not encourage longer life with the same enthusiasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Oldness feels like a condition a lot of the time.

I expect that we don't encourage longer life because we may not be in a condition to 'enjoy' it!

• Advertisement

Also if you encourage long life its a very long wait to get the results!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

I heard a radio add recently that says - living is the longest thing you will do during your life! It reminds me of the of wisdom that old people exude. Even when old people have dementia, or lots of drink n drugs in em'( prescription or otherwise) , there is always powerful touches of insight with older persons.

I would love to bottle it -"Eau de plus âgée!"

Grand stretch in the evenings now, I'm only turning on my lights now!

A tad warmer would make me a happy bunny!

My situation has an added quality. And old life is easier for me than fir many

Nearing 80 ( ARE YOU SURE!!!! 1943...yep) and fell ill aged 25. In the uk. As they drs could not find the cause they put it down to mental/nervous illness. End of promising teaching career eetc. And of many things, as I was really very sick.

Slow forward to the start of th new millenium and a referral to an excellent consultant in Aberdeend. Who finally at last ...M.E. aka post viral fatigue aka chronic fatigue.. Totally missed by a score of doctors. And as they were decidedly...well no one likes having been wrong for so long so badly! I left the UK forever.

So I am well used to "old age life" as that is what M.E is. Today I was more unwell than often so stayed abed then spend pm online, knitting etc. For sale! With my cats..

I have in effect been old for ...over fifty years. It holds no fears.. "Disability " changed to Old Age Pension from the UK seamlessly.

I am blessed indeed with all I need and a dimension of deep thankfulness that as the saying goes " The truth set me free" . Limited more now but have so much...

As for warmer.. I flew to Ireland, Mayo from an Outer North Orkney island and trust me the climate here is positively balmy in comparison - even on my small offshore home.

Goodnight all! Enjoy the evening..

Ceád Miíle Failte ( a thousand Welcomes) to you Graces 7. All the way from the Orkneys. I can't but think of you as a wonderful puffin who is gracing our shores!🐧

LOVE puffins! Seen them here

Been here over 20 years now... I lived in a community in Donegal on that glorious coast in the late 60s and fell in love with it... So when I knew I needed to leave the UK ? Either here or France.. ( fluent French speaker) A rental in Mayo came up... Love wilderness places... and islands... and now I live both...

Where I live now, small offshore island no rabbits but HARES in abundance.. Ground is solid rock 2 inches down...

/Checks date.

Nope, O&O's birthday is tomorrow, not today. Guess I'll just have to drink the plum brandy all by myself.

Happy day early birthday O&O.

I'll have the tea ready to toast our O&O's boitday!! 😁 Might even have some toast too! Hello OG, long time no see.

• Advertisement

I've been lurking. Still keeping an eye on yis.

Stop yer lurkin'. Liven us up!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Hi all, I have been offline for several weeks, only now getting word that our dear Rubes had a heart attack in early May, he is stable but still in hospital. He asked I send his regards (and share his health update) to his dear boards friends. x

Post edited by Deja Boo on

Ah God, poor Rubecula... please send him my best wishes, when you next "speak" with him.

Good wishes and get well soon!

I shall directly send on your good wishes New Home and looksee :) it will surely cheer him.

Yet another good story for Rubes to add to his canon of tales. Heartiest congratulation to-him for surviving. We miss you and your posts.

He is indeed a character :D I shall relay your message to him today.

Ah dear no, that's not news any of us wanted to hear. Please send my good wishes for a speedy recovery. Hope he'll be back home soon. I'd post him a bunch of grapes and a bottle of Lucozade if I could!! Lucozade with the orange crinkly plastic covering that we all remember! It was on every hospital patient's locker in my childhood. God bless you Rube!! Someone, take his dictation and help him write his book please!

• Advertisement

Advertisement