Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I see flights from Moscow to turkey suddenly booked out yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭rogber

There's a big difference between giving asylum to innocent civilians fleeing the war itself and Russian men, many of whom are probably at best indifferent to the war or maybe even support it, but who just aren't will to risk their own lives.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 34,825 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If the 50 largest cities in Russia are destroyed by nuclear weapons, then at least an equal amount or more cities across the globe have also been destroyed.

No more New York, London, Dublin (!), Berlin, Beijing and so on, name another 50 or so. You can be sure Australia will get a few too. The worlds major cities would be gone and the areas surrounding them poisoned by radioactive fallout.

I'm more than sure that many, many nuclear power stations around the world will be targeted or at least caught up in the destruction too.

Did you see the far reaching impact Chernobyl and Fukushima had on the areas around them? Radiation was detected from Chernobyl here in Ireland.

Imagine a world with many reactors in such condition with nobody available to even attempt to fix the problem.

Yes, there would be pockets of people left, trying to survive in a world where the economy has collapsed, most, if not all the major centres have been destroyed. Who knows what kind of impact all that fallout and radioactive material circulating around the globe would have.

But no, apparently it's 'just the heat' that gets you in small, localised events. We'll all be grand lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭jmreire

And although I've already replied, here it is again:- what has happened all the radiation generated by these hundreds of atomic bombs all round the world? When you are talking about half-lives of 5-10-20-40+ thousand years and more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

I asked him what Ukraine should do and didn't get a reply.

The west and Soviet Union got through the cold war with the constant risk of nuclear war and it didn't stop them fighting multiple proxy wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Mobilization doesn't work like that. You can't simply claim to be sick and have your local GP write you a note exempting you from duty, this isn't a standard workplace we're dealing with. Once you are mobilized, you are sent a letter summoning you to a military facility where an army doctor will subject you to a physical. The Russians will be able to get as many people as they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Housefree

• Registered Users Posts: 34,825 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

They weren't detonated 'all round the world' - they were detonated at specific testing sites away from people as to minimise their impact on society. Many underground and under water.

Such as Bikini Atoll. Read how it is today:

Nice quote from the article:

'Radioactive fallout has affected the geology of the area, as well as made the area unsafe for human resettlement.

Huge swaths of coral reef, plants, land, and three of the 23 original islands within Bikini Atoll have been obliterated as a result of the nuclear bombs detonated in the region. Bokonijien, Aerokojlol, and Nam were vaporized during the testing.

To this day, any food grown in the contaminated soil is hazardous. Consuming fruits and vegetables grown on the atoll will result in radiation exposure. Interestingly, the fish in the lagoon are now deemed safe to eat.'

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Maybe they'll do the decent thing and send each one of them with their own body bag.

• Advertisement

All roads in Russia are well covered with checkpoints at any time, no matter what direction you are travelling in, never mind in any kind of "emergency". You are pretty screwed if your only way out is by road, unless very near a border.

"The Russians will be able to get as many people as they need."

And what does that 'need' entail? Taking all of Ukraine or all the Donbas? Manpower alone hasn't been the most important factor since people wielded swords. Lots of poorly trained people isn't going to be much use against western backed artillery etc. The turning point of the war was when Ukrainian artillery became more accurate and with higher range. Ukraine are going to get beter and better equiepment, where to Russia?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Radiation from conventional nuclear bombs has very short half-lives. After 48hrs the radiation in the environment is down to 1% of peak.

Conventional nuclear weapons are not designed deliberately to irradiate, they are designed to explode. Radiation is like a design byproduct (or perk for those with a more morbid perspective). The world will not be a barren irradiated wasteland even after a full on nuclear-exchange. The risks are short term - i.e. getting blown to smithereens or exposed directly to cancer-causing levels of radiation. If you lived in the southern hemisphere you would likely be fine.

A meltdown like Chernobyl poses greater long term risks than if a nuclear bomb were to be detonated in the same place (assuming there were no reactor present instead)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

That's a considered response, and I can't fault it

There was a lot of rhetoric on the thread earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Nobody knows what number detonated at close times in close proximites it would take to trigger a nuclear winter beyond theoretical ideas, that would be humanity ending

I see they make a big deal of the vast military resources in Russia. We have already seen the state of much of this stuff. They are going to be sending in newly mobilised "troops" with rusted cold war tanks so. Into the quagmire or Autumn rains

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It actually has been contaminated. There are scientific tests that no longer work for assessing post 1945 data. I can't remember the exact ones. But basically, the signatures they look out for don't work as a result of the resulting radiation released. It's just that the amounts are miniscule as regards "walking around" if you know what I mean.

Caesium-137. Here is a story saying how it can be used to detect fake wine. Basically all wine bottled since 1945 has detectable amounts of it. Wine bottled before 1945 won't. If someone claims to have a really old vintage wine and you find caesium-137 in it, you know its fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

Please describe how you believe Russia has the ability to hit any of these targets that you have listed. I will then watch how Jmeire, Manic Moran and Greenpilot dismantle your assertion.

I don't see it happening, there doesn't seem to be anyone capable of gaining enough support to over throw him,

For me the best hope is the Russian people come out enmass and protest what's going on ,and maybe hope for a coup , Putin drops dead today this so called special operation will continue with who ever gets the nod they will have to show they are stronger than Putin and they can defeat Ukraine in 3 days , going forward you still have the issue of senior officers in the FSB and military wanting to bring the Soviet union back to the Glory days , with all the Baltics under threat,it would take a massive purge in the military and intelligent services along with huge changes in political leadership and management.

Just don't see it happening anytime soon.

I'd be the first the toast his death with a glass or two of single malt .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I don't know. I am merely making the point that ordinary Russians who don't have connections or an envelope full of Roubles will simply not be able to avoid mobilization by producing a note from their GP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Upon reading the last few pages, I’m tempted to go into the corner and start rocking back and forth!

I haven’t finished Netflix yet though, I’ll do that first!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Ukrainian aviation conducted over 20 air strikes at Russian military positions, including 19 areas of gathering of military and equipment, 2 air defense positions. Ukrainian air defense shot down 4 drones and 1 Su-25 plane. Ukrainian artillery and missile troops conducted strikes at over 40 Russian military objects, - General Staff of Armed Forces of Ukraine says in the morning report

Dundalk, Co. Louth

If one managed to make it out, it would be plausable to make the argument of fleeing conscription whatever one’s previous opinions were.

If someone of military age from Russia turns up looking for asylum, how is their status determined?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

For some radiation tolerant processes, they need to source Iron and Steel that was made pre 1945, as any modern made contains trace amounts of radiation from the atmosphere that gets in during smelting process.

The atmosphere is technically irradiated worldwide from nuclear detonations, but its a very low concentration of low risk stuff - greater than 99.999% of radiation released by those tests is gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Housefree

Something that de-escalates the situation, not puring petrol on the fire. Maybe something along the lines of what Henry Kissinger advocated and assurances of no NATO membership for Ukraine

advocating for “status quo ante,” which refers to the restoration of the situation in which Russia maintains its formal control of Crimea and informal control of Luhansk and Donetsk, where Russia has already established a loose statehood structure in place since 2014 through Russian proxies.

Yes, I know about the Bikini Island testing, and for sure Russia and China had been testing too ( and that's before even more Country's got the "Bomb" ) Nth Korea recently had to stop underground testing because they were feared to be causing earth quakes. And you have the Chernobyl exclusion zone, where wildlife is affected but thriving and in some cases even without any side effects. I'm not denying the destructive effects of atomic bombs...I'm asking why the cumulative effects of all the bombs ever exploded to date, and given the half life timescale, have not already finished the world as we know it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Does anyone ever attempt the 55 mile journey from Russia to Alaska?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I think maybe for some scientific instrumentation as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Putin seems to me to have played all his cards now. I can't see how the mobilisation can work given how poor the existing army is, if he were to use nuclear weapons he will engage NATO and be defeated, his economic war on the West isn't working either. I guess he can draw it out with the mobilisation, but they're at nothing really. I guess he hopes he can bring about some kind of long stalemate with the extra numbers, but there's going to be no victory as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

So you want an invaded country, the victim of unwarrented aggression, a newly democratic country that has shown itself ready willing and capable of defending itself against a brutal autocracy to simply "give up" its right to determine its own future. To do this at a time when it has recently inflicted serious damage on the brutal invader.

Thats what you want?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement