Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission up for greenway from Youghal to Midleton

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭nokiatom

Progress on the turntable at Youghal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

that looks excellent! I didn't expect them to restore it at all.

I'm open to correction but I think there's only one other in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There's more than that, a handful are in operational condition, the rest are derelict or infilled.

The renovation so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Board Walker

There is one in Tralee, Connolly and the Sugar factory in Mallow tho the latter is surrounded in trees so you cant see it unless you look for it.

Not to say there isnt more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Any updates on the greenway, Cork Co Co say it would be ready end 2022?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

The latest on the Greenway. The white box you see is the turntable being restored

So now summer 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Summer 2023 for midleton mogeely .. I think. ( which will be the busiest part. )

Hopefully they'll open youghal to redbarn or even further at the same time .. maybe ?

I think the middle part mogeely to halfway between killeagh and youghal isn't opening till next year .. hope I'm wrong

Looks great though ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Taking an absolute eternity to open. Ridiculous.

I agree, opening the two end and leaving the middle piece to next year or 2025

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

the section from Midleton train station looks ready to use from (what you can see from the station). I can't wait to try it out on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It's supposed to be opened as far as mogeely soon , I think you'll be waiting a bit longer for more though ..

I'm intrigued to see how the budget has stretched on this, expecting it to be stratosphere.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

That video sums up why a rail line isn't really viable. It mostly passes through large swathes of open countryside with big distances between the tiny settlements along the way.

Just two small villages in a 16 mile stretch, not viable

• Registered Users Posts: 14,602 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Any update on this?

Cllr Danielle Twomey East Cork

·

Update on the Midleton to Youghal (MY) greenway

The team progressing the development of the MY (Midleton-Youghal) Greenway has advised of the following update to members of the East Cork Municipal District - the current aim is to open the Midleton - Mogeely section of the Greenway track in October 2023 (date to be confirmed) with the aim to open the Mogeely-Youghal section of track in early-mid 2024.

I was so hopeful the Midleton to Mogeely would be open for the summer, although knowing there was huge delays I suppose this was me being overly positive.

However I am glad we have a clearer timeline, as a lot of my constituents have been requesting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Not just two small villages. Mogeely Station has a significant hinterland including Castlemartyr and Ladysbridge which are highly populated dormitory areas for Cork City, the same can be said to a certain extent about Killeagh. Youghal itself is a significant town with a significant population commuting to Cork City.

If there is any doubt about the above, just consider the massive traffic volumes on the N25.

While greenways are all the current rage, the MY greeway has little to offer from a scenic perspective as the majority of it is a straight line ribbon of tarmac running between trees and hedges with little of interest to look at.

IMHO, the investment would have been better spent put towards the reinstatement of the rail link, particularly as we are all being told to ditch the car.

this has been argued about for years and years, no one is interested in investing money in it as it would turn out to be a white elephant. Tens of thousands of cars pass Midleton every day and they wont use the railway to Cork city.

• Advertisement

By the time commuters from further east would get to Midleton Railway Station they have already taken the pain of Killeagh Castlemartyr and Lakeview and or the mainstreet. The same, in reverse order, would on the way home in the evening.

There is therefore little attraction to transferring to the train for the relatively easy bit of the remaining drive to or from the City

Having said that, currently the trains at commuting times are already packed with locals and busy enough outside of commuting hours.

This is a silly argument, like saying there's no point having a Dublin Cork rail line because thousands drive on a motorway every day and won't use it.

Being a rail user, as well as a car driver, I often choose the Cork-Dublin train instead of driving. Taking the cost of fuel into consideration it's cheaper as well as being quicker, two and a half hours versus over three, no stress and good public transport options from Heuston.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

There's also one in Roslare Harbour which was in use as recently as July 2022 by an RPSI engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Board Walker

They could badly do with restoring the one in tralee fo RSPI operations so they can go head first down. THo i believe they have to go tender first into cork most times because of the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I always get a laugh when I see the faux concern "scenery argument" being brought out.

I'm happy with somewhere that I can bring my family to to exercise where there isn't a high risk of close passing or worse by speeding cars/trucks/tractors.

A nice view is a luxury.

As you say most people want a safe place to walk, jog or cycle without the sound of traffic.

With a choice between the MY greenway and the Dungarvan greenway I know which one I'd go for.

The MY greenway will be fine for a bit of exercise away from traffic, but so is a treadmill and exercise bike in the garden shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I don't think you quite understand. Go down to the Glounthaune greenway some evening and have a look: it's busy late into the night, and is absolutely not "scenic". The stretch between Bury's Bridge and Little Island is positively grim from a scenery perspective, but is busy every day.

There's massive demand. The Midleton side alone will be extremely busy. The middle stretches between Killeagh and Youghal will likely be quiet, but within 5km of Youghal again it will be busy.

Greenways are good for the "tourism" type users for sure, but local people make up a considerable amount of the end users. Maybe even the majority. Little "cafe" type industries WILL begin to appear at the trailheads which will benefit the towns and villages on the route. I've passed through a lot of East and North Cork towns over the last couple of weeks and have been surprised by the resurgence of shops and cafe's and whatnot in the likes of Ballymacoda, Castletownroche, etc: local people are spending more time near home since work from home has become an accepted norm. Now those people want (expect!) places to be safely outdoors too.

• Advertisement

I agree with your comments about stretches of greenway like the stretch between Bury's Bridge and Little Island which are within urban areas or connecting closeby urban areas. However, IMHO long or longish stretches through farmland with zero scenic attractions have little or no attraction except for those who like long-distance cycling for fitness or training reasons.

There is also talk about banning e-scooters and e-bikes from greenways which kind of defeats their (greenways) use as eco-friendly commuting routes.

I could see residents in the Mogeely, Castlemartyre, and Ladysbridge areas using the Mogeely - Midleton stretch for commuting to Midleton, assuming safe connecting cycling infrastructure were to be provided linking the aforementioned towns/villages.

From Killeagh or Youghal to Midleton is a bit of a stretch for daily commuting by bike.

With over 12,000 vehicles a day passing between Youghal and Killeagh and over 16,000 a day passing between Castlemartyr and Midleton, if the current rail link to Midleton was to be extended to Youghal it should take a lot of those vehicles off the road, with all the attendant benefits to people and the planet. BTW, HGVs only account for less than 5% of the above figures.

Advertisement