Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

A rare LaLiga 3pm on Premier Sports 1 today, Espanyol v Sevilla, made possible with the cancellation of the FAPL fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

As most may have seen (or not seen) there was no La Liga game on Irish TV last Saturday due to the URC. Mad stuff really. As usual Premier and Keegan Pierce not saying a word 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Not exactly "mad stuff" as there were Irish teams playing in the URC. A bit more important than games in a foreign league I'd think

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Premier aren’t an Irish station…

This will be par for the course at least until the Viaplay takeover goes through unfortunately. There’s a hierarchy and the URC is at the top, because Premier are one of the host broadcasters and contracted to show all games (they didn’t even fulfill that properly in Ireland because one SA derby got shunted to FreeSports). There’s also the Nations League window now opening, now there won’t obviously be LaLiga games during that, but it and the URC are competing for space this weekend.

Basically, Premier now have too many rights for their two linear channels, that they cannot do justice to them all, and Saturdays are the pinch point., I am not sure what their rationale was in taking LaLigaTV off Sky altogether and removing FreeSports in Ireland, but it is making a bad situation worse. Don’t expect any changes now, the outgoing management probably only have a few weeks left now; though I haven’t heard what the status of the remains appovals needed for the Viaplay deal to complete are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,758 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Premier Sports put overspill rights onto the Premier Player and Box Nation. A situation that is useless to Irish viewers as neither are viewable.

I believe there’s some sort of cohort that can still receive BoxNation, who are paying for it standalone since the year dot. Otherwise it makes no sense for them to continue to pay for am ROI EPG listing. Mind you little about that channel makes any sense as it’s some time since they’ve shown any live boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭roadmaster

If they have to many sports an not enoght platforms to broadcast in Ireland would they not sub the rights out to one of the 3 irish broadcasters and make some money rather tham not showing the sport

No one is paying them to show the 3pm Saturday La Liga games though

Realistically, what are those games worth unless Barcelona or Real Madrid were playing in the slot every week?

With all respect even among football fans in Ireland the likes of Cadiz v Elche are for the purists only.

• Advertisement

Based at 3A South Princes Street, Dublin 2, Premier Media Broadcasting Limited registered in Ireland, regulated by the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland. The outgoing owners and the staff are Irish. The studio is the same studio that used to be used by eir Sport (they haven’t even bothered to change the set still featuring eir’s telephone cord logo). How more Irish do you want?

They will shortly be owned by a Swedish plc, but afaik that deal hasn’t completed yet, still waiting on the necessary approvals.

It was just a tongue in cheek joke. They’re clearly Irish, but aimed at the UK market. How they define themselves sometimes depends on their audience

I take the point and tend to agree 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Looking at the live fixtures next week (with Amazon having full exclusivity to the gameweek of 9 games Tue-Thu) - seems like Premier Sports only showing 3 live games. I thought they made more attempts last year to show more matches on these type of gameweeks.

https://www.premiersports.com/premier-sports-roi

Don't they normally put the rest on a red button service?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭fman

In the past for these games, they have mostly put 2 games on each night. Yes they've used the red button ( and have seen it mentioned elsewhere, these may be testing now), but their success has been mixed, I seem to remember 1 slot where the other games weren't available til well underway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭Acosta

They've always had any extra games on the red button, so I take it that will be the case next week. And yeah, their first red button adventure was a disaster. As far as I can recall nothing worked until into the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

If Premier Sports were showing games on the Red Button this coming week they would have them advertised in the link above, they have advertised RB games in previous seasons, so it looks like they are just showing 3 games over the 3 nights unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭Acosta

You could be right on that. But this is the same PS where you previously couldn't even find a list of upcoming games on their website, and have to search around online for ages before finding information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I hate PS much. Why does the blackout in the UK extend to us. Sky / BT should air 3 pm games in Ireland

• Advertisement

This has little to do with the blackout, it’s the “Amazon Round” games. I’d reserve judgement on what they’ll do with the non-front channel games for now, but it would be disappointing if they’re not shown given that is essentially the point of this particular package.

Sky had the 3pms in the 2016-19 period. It’s a competitive bidding process, or it usually is, there were extenuating circumstances (Covid) as to why it wasn’t this time around.

And this will probably be Premier Sports last time having this before Viaplay take over. That deal still hasn’t completed from what I gather, not sure what’s happened with the regulatory stuff that’s caused a delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eguiney

There are some Premier Sports test channels on Sky, so fingers crossed for Tuesday. They can't use the Sky Sports red button channels this time because the EFL will be on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eguiney

The determination for the Viaplay/Premier takeover is now live.

There is still no indication of Viaplay's plans (if any) for Ireland:

"The Viaplay Group’s streaming service is currently available in several Scandinavian countries. The Viaplay Group plans to launch the service in the UK, the Netherlands, Canada, Switzerland and the US in the coming years."

Has to be major possibility now given that the approval process has proceeded slower than anticipated that Viaplay’s U.K. (and Ireland?) launch will now not proceed till next year. There’s still no sign of approval from the relevant U.K. authorities. Ministerial approval was obtained on Friday, so that is another box checked.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/09f1e-m_2022_5-the-proposed-acquisition-of-freesports-limited-and-premier-broadcasting-limited-by-viaplay-group-uk-limited-media-merger-2022/

Seeing a lot of comments on social media and even articles on news sites which should know better which appear to presume that the takeover went through on the day it was announced. Statements like “Viaplay now own Premier Sports” repeatedly made as gospel. A simple reading of the press release would have told them that there were regulatory approvals to obtain before that happened. Even the usual rush to update Wikipedia. Until all regulatory hurdles are cleared there is always a chance (albeit a very outside one in this case) that the deal might not proceed.

Meanwhile to more immediate concerns, confirmation that non front channel FAPL fixtures this week will be available via the red button. if it works that is!

https://www.premiersports.com/premier-sports-roi

I hope that whenever they do take the reins that they go on their own and not via a sky sports extra subscription.

Deal now completed and Viaplay will launch (very quickly!) on 1st November. No word on what happens to Premier Sports in Ireland.

https://www.viaplaygroup.com/news/news-releases/viaplay-launch-uk-1-november

Why not? That sports extra subscription gives Premier and BT Sports on one package, very handy for about half the PL fixtures and all the rugby

So not available on NowTV then? Also do Arsenal not play this round?

• Advertisement

Because we wouldn't have access to their streaming service in the same way that we don't have access to BT Sport's or Premier Sport's online players. With the BT and Discovery merger I don't expect that BT Sport will want to be part of a Sky Sports Extra package either.

Advertisement