Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

No Wootton or Byrne. Conor Oliver was subbed at half-time on Saturday, wonder if he was injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Somebody mentioned Byrne was in a moonboot after the Castres game. Missed why Oliver went off.

Strong squad but them are up against it.

No O'Halloran is the most pleasing news

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Lol typical Leinster knob.

Four players are going to miss crucial Connacht league games (admittedly games Connacht don't seem likely to get anything out of based on Friday anyway) so they can play some second tier South African sides on a rabble of a tour. It's a joke.

• Advertisement

Ah yes coming into Connacht thread and throwing a pointless dig was real mature. IRFU can do no wrong.

When did I ever say the IRFU can do no wrong?

I don't think the timing of this tour is ideal at all, but I do broadly think the biggest weakness facing Irish rugby is how shallow our playing pool is. From that perspective, I think this tour makes sense.

I do think there is an argument that the current Irish coaching team have done a good job at developing players, which isn't a skillset you'd typically associate with a national coaching ticket. But the proof of this is in the handful of guys who they've elevated despite them not being first choice players for their provinces.

To that end, I think it's hugely beneficial for this young group of players to get together under the coaching ticket, experience a tour environment and play games together. The average age of the squad that toured NZ was 28; with the match 23's even older still. We may or may not get a bolter or two out of this tour, but even if we don't, it's a worthwhile investment into Ireland's rugby future.

The price being paid for this, is the provinces are without the players for a couple of games (or possibly only one game in Connacht's case), and in return, it would appear as though the IRFU have released back the full internationals sooner to compensate for this. That was why I deem the excessive, hyperbolic moaning about this last week to be whining, and if you disagree with that, that's fine, that's your view.

Well firstly you might want to get your facts straight, it's a minimum of two games. The high likelihood is it will be three games (the tour has a fixture on Sunday October 9 and Connacht play Leinster on Friday October 14), given anyone touring won't be able to train until Tuesday October 11 at the earliest, I would be surprised if they were selected for Friday night, certainly anyone who played the previous Sunday won't be chosen, maybe one or two of them will be on the bench, but that will probably reflect poor performances or injuries. Either way, if any are in the 23 for the Friday fixture their preparation will be very far from ideal clearly. Three games out of an 18 game league is a not inconsiderable chunk.

All for a tour outside of an international window playing second tier sides. The league right now is the strongest it has been in years and the IRFU are clearly undermining that.

Does the player management policy not undermine the league far more than this could ever be argued to?

In that scenario, teams are forced to rest players simply by dint of their status as a first choice international. This is a scenario where young players, trying to prove themselves and elevate themselves in the minds of the international coaches, will miss a handful of matches because they're actually playing matches.

You've conveniently overlooked multiple times the fact that the IRFU have released first choice international players to play with the provinces earlier this season to mitigate whatever loss they suffer from this too (not something that typically impacts Connacht to any great degree, but last season Bundee Aki didn't play his first game for Connacht till mid October after the Lions tour; the other provinces don't usually have first choice internationals back who played summer test matches till the last round of matches before Europe typically either).

Bundee Aki returned in round four last year when the Lions tour finished on August 7. He is returning in round two this year after a tour that finished three weeks earlier on July 16. The IRFU aren’t making any major concession here.

The player management programme has been long established and is related to actual international rugby not some development tour outside of an international window.

The URC has emphasised repeatedly and publicly that they will seek to avoid clashing with international windows so that squads will have as strong as sides as possible, the IRFU has quite clearly undermined that and made the league look second rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

In fairness, I doubt the player management rules apply here. These lads aren't test players who need to have their game time managed. If they're healthy coming back, they'll be allowed to play.

Yeah I don’t think they won’t be allowed to play but the earliest they can train is Tuesday (given they won’t be in to Dublin until Monday morning at the earliest, even then can prob only train on Tuesday assuming they didn’t play on the Sunday).

They will only have Tuesday and Wednesday ahead of an interpro against Leinster as Connacht won’t train on the Thursday. Maybe it will be dire straits and they will be thrown in but they’re not really available for selection in the proper meaning of the phrase either and obviously were any of them to play, they would have pretty poor preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Wonder what the plan at 15 is. Not bringing TOH is a good call in my opinion. Wouldn’t mind seeing Hansen getting a few games at 15 with porch and ralston on the wings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Farrell might be keen to see Hansen play a bit more 15.

The way thinks are shaping up I'd say the back three options for the Worl Cup could be:

left wings: Lowe, Stockdale

right wings: Hansen, Conway/Baloucoune

fullback: Keenan

...with Hansen being the back up 15.

Few lads would be raging to see Lowry not involved you’d imagine..

From a Connacht point of view getting Hansen more involved at 15 could be very important.

Very noticeable when the “big” players aren’t involved. Would expect a much better performance this week with Bealham, Bundee, Mack and Prendergast back involved

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

no report on the eagles big win?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Is thornberry injured?

Yeah Thornbury and Oliver injured. The 42 reported yesterday Connacht were hopeful he would fly out later this week but today say himself and Oliver are "ruled out" so I presume he won't be flying out now. Jack Carty is expected to fly out later in the week along with few other players to replace those departing.

From my understanding both Thornbury and oliver were always out of this weeks match but they were hoping to fly the pair and carty Out for the second game. Would make sense considering the emerging Ireland players will be leaving. Would also expect a prop and 9 to fly out with the other 3

Hopefully. The 42 seems definitive about it.

"Lock Gavin Thornbury, who captained the side in their dismal 36-10 loss to Ulster on Saturday, and flanker Conor Oliver have also been ruled out, but it’s expected that Carty, who underwent wrist surgery during the summer, will link up with them."

Pete Wilkins: Adam Byrne's omission from South Africa tour 'no big story' (the42.ie)

• Advertisement

A dismal performance and two of our key players get injured in the opening game. Hard to imagine a worse start. Also finding it difficult to swallow Wilkins line on Adam Byrne. I don't want to start whinging, given that we have seventeen URC games to play I don't know that I have the stamina, but...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,465 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This emerging Ireland players thing is stupid. They get much better experience playing URC, Champions Cup or even Challenge cup matches.

Who else does this type of thing?

We have an Ireland A for off-season games. That's enough in my opinion.

This is really hurting smaller clubs who don't have the depth that bigger clubs do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

The standard of rugby for provinces in URC, Champions Cup, some challenge cup games may be better but this gets some players playing irish system, which could help for world cup especially for squad players. Farrell and coaches dont see 1 ireland A game occassionally as good enough. We dont have them regularly enough.

That’s on the IRFU though, we could have been having them much more frequently.

To suddenly bring 35 players away on a tour in the second season of a new league which has altered schedule and made a deliberate aim of not clashing with international windows is a ridiculous move.

Also according to Bernard Jackman, they wanted to bring a second string, those on the fringes of the Irish squad but there was no communication with the provinces about it, the provinces were unhappy with it so it ended up with this mish mash of a squad which includes a lot of guys miles from the senior squad. So the tour isn’t even serving the intended purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,465 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If they want to have these games then it should be done when there is no competitive club rugby. It's only fair to smaller clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Lads, missed the game on Saturday. Saw the YouTube highlights and read a bit about it. But listening to the Craggy Rugby Pod yesterday they basically said a few were miles off.

Who was bad? And any good spots other than Murphy? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I think a better question is who was good, thought we were pretty woeful across the board. Paul Boyle is one who concerns me a bit, as he set such a high bar in 20-21 but hasn't reached that level for quite a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

He hasn't had a lot of luck with injuries over the past couple of years but, even when fully fit, the braintrust would start Butler at 8 to make minimal impact. He seemed to lose a lot of confidence to back himself since his mistake off the back of the scrum at home to 13 man Munster last year.

I thought Dylan Tierney Martin made a decent impact and his line out throwing looked solid enough which I thought may be his biggest challenge.

It’s hard to tell though when guys come on 25 down or whatever, seems like some of the intensity is gone out of the game. Hopefully it’s a closer affair when he comes on this week.

• Advertisement

I agree that DTM was good, his throws were good (Heff inevitably overthrows/goes crooked at least 1/2 per game) and made an impact in the loose. He plays without fear and could become an important player for us.

Quite liked Byron Ralston, he seemed confident and decent in defense. Wootton made a key contribution to our only try, good decision on the pass after making a lot of ground. If himself and Byrne aren't injured, I don't understand why they're not going to SA.

Advertisement