Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen Elizabeth II dies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm not being uncivil...

Trying not to call anyone who disagrees with you a drooling fucktard would be a start.

Just because they don't criticise doesn't mean they can't. I'm not saying they go out and canvas for a party or go on holiday with Putin. They have influence, it doesn't have to be "going off on a mad one" about anything. If they can never be out of step with the current regime they can never really say anything about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

For sure, but many things within the UK could be deemed 'undemocratic' then, including the House of Lords. You could definitely make the case that it is a less democratic country than most republics in Europe, but 'it is what it is' so to speak.

If the queen/king has a problem with being critism over the Honours list,

They have 2 choices

Either accept the critism or abdicate....it's entirety reasonable to critise em for any actions undertaken in their job imo

I could never understand logic of this,a bunch of handpicked people,

whom to best my knowledge have a higher power than the parliament.....quite why no meaningful effort to reform this isn't underway,is beyond me (but may play a part in explaining the worrying willingness of many over there, to want to ignore brexit result)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I never called you a drooling f*cktard, and you won't be allowed put words in my mouth. If you want to draw the mods on the thread to save-face, have a bit more guile about it.

This isn't you versus Yurt2, this is you versus reality.

To be honest, you've been spoonfed the constitutional and legal reality at this stage, but you're persisting with a quare conspiracy about their power.

• Advertisement

For all the talk about large swathes of the UK population being ignorant of Ireland and her history (very true in fairness), its also abundantly clear we have no shortage of people on our fair isle pretty ignorant about our nearest neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭StevenToast

This thread should be dead and buried by now.......like the person named in the thread title....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

There you go doing it again. Can't help yourself, can you? If you had more confidence in the argument in your posts you wouldn't need to be so condescending.

Look kowloon, you're approaching this with a giant chip on your shoulder. If you feel condescended to, it's on you.

This isn't a difference of opinion, it's you against reality.

You went out of the gate trying to hold an individual responsible for the Mau Mau rebellion who couldn't possibly have any influence on events good or bad, and went from there. It was and is a ridiculous thing to throw your anchor down on, yet here you are spitting the dummy after the constitutional impossibility of what you were saying was brought to your attention.

I don't need to have "confidence in my posts" as you put it. It's reality. Time you reconciled yourself with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This post for me sums up the view of most monarchists, particularly British ones.

I find it strange to judge the success of an institution or country by its ability to put on military pageantry and parades. Other countries can do this too. USA is good at it but so is Russia and North Korea so what does that say?

Calling her Elizabeth the Great? Why. What was really so great about her? Yes she had a job to do and she was diligent and dutiful but what did she actually achieve that has any legacy. Please list them for me as all I can think of anything apart from longevity.

I also think that the number of people watching it has been greatly exaggerated not only in Britain but also in the rest of the world as I think most people yesterday just lead their normal life with little interest in the event

As for your comments about what you get with a president I really find that quite illogical.

A non political head of state’s role, like the president here is to protect democracy and the constitution. It’s not to become a world celebrity. They also don’t require loads of castles, staff, jewellery or equipment. I would argue that the Queen and her family have brought a lot of embarrassment to the country and I didn’t hear any interviewee on Mourn-Hub (aka the BBC) over the last 10 days talk about the money she gave to Prince Andrew for his sexual deviances and acquaintances with convicted paedophiles.

The heads of state of places like Ireland, Germany and Italy are well known in their own country and that’s what’s most important They are also in the role for a limited time, so they generally don’t die in office so their deaths would not be as big news and they do not pass the role onto their children.

It’s the office they hold that’s more important not the person or their celebrity. Celebrity should never be the measure of success of country but Britain is always worried about appearing to be the biggest and best in the world (look at the lies in the last year of fastest vaccination program, quickest out of lockdown,fastest growing economy in G7 etc) so putting on a pageant and having soldiers marching to music that they think no one else can do serves that purpose well.

The monarchy being supported by people are propping up an elitist system , based on medieval feudal practices,that keeps the wealthy getting richer, and who can deny the wealth of the British royal family whilst poverty increases amongst their “subjects” who blindly support them.

i feel the system is unfair and dated and will eventually change like it has in most of the world and then countries can measure their success by wealth distribution, poverty levels and equality rather than marching soldiers or funeral coverage.

• Advertisement

I never actually said anything about any event, just that the line of argument could be misused. "Many leaders" is not intended to mean "The Queen".

I don't know why you don't get this.

This is going to break your brain,

And yes, it's a bit of a mystery as to how this is going over your head.

To be honest, you've been spoonfed the constitutional and legal reality at this stage, but you're persisting with a quare conspiracy about their power.

Yeah, probably not being condescending at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer isn't unique to the UK. Neither are many of the other problems you mention, or unique to monarchies. Neither is looking back at post glories. Ireland the land of saints and scholars rings a bit hollow here these days.

I'm not sure why the death of some other countries head of state sparks off so much muck raking in people.

Ireland and UK have a lot of shared unhappy history. Time to move on. But without forgetting it at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The thing about the rich getting richer is that in most countries it is not systemic or in favour of the head of state. Big difference.

Also what has land of saints and scholars rubbish bit to do with it. Don’t see many Irish people feeding off that or institutions trying to uphold that ethos.

Also can people stop accusing posters who question or debate the UK system as people who are muck raking or anti British due to being Irish. Our history is nothing to do with it.

It’s a simple debate that is valid and relevant after extraordinary events in the UK in then last 10 days and also a debate that will take place on the UK which has already begun now that the official mourning is over.

It just seems to me that monarchy apologists on here often have no valid points and just resort to accusing people of attacking Britain or being bitter rather than engaging and.coming back with valid points.

The rich getting richer is entirely systemic. That's the whole point.

The rest of it is complete hypocrisy and strawman arguments.

If it takes 100+ thread pages trying to prove the irrelevance of something, you've already lost that argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

A referendum is a vote on a single issue.

Each referendum has different rules on who can vote in it.

To vote in a referendum you must:

be registered to vote

be 18 or over on the day of the referendum (‘polling day’)

be a British, Irish or Commonwealth citizen

be resident at an address in the UK or Gibraltar (or a British citizen living abroad who has been registered to vote in the UK in the last 15 years)

not be legally excluded from voting

You make one choice between 2 options. Votes are counted for the whole of the UK, not by constituency.

You can they cannot here.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Hey2.Hey2

... and she's not even in London.

But why let the fact that Windsor (which is 50m ASL) will hardly be bothered, as far as rising sea levels go even with the projected rise of ~33cm by 2050, get in the way of incredulous arguments?

A level of knowledge about par for these threads (somewhat lower than sea level, maybe?).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

At least we have a say in the elections. Monarchs are born into it. Therein lies the fifference in my view.

But royalty as a concept is severly flawed in my view

I imagine there's a whole host of legal and constitutional issues that would need to be ironed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

How do the House of Lords have a higher power than the House of Commons?

• Advertisement

He's was part of the political system that created and/or persisted the housing crisis.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

They have very little power,. All they can really do is delay stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Most monarchies have usually fallen or been replaced by means of revolution, major defeat in a war or outbreak of civil war. Given that Britain has seen none of these in the last 200-300 years, it explains how the UK monarchy has survived and even remained strong.

The UK is definitely a bit of an outlier compared to most countries in Europe - many archaic and old fashioned structures and practises, even with things like the honours system and peerages and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

Not sure how you work that out as nearly half the World's monarchies are in Europe.

A lot of the European monarchies were weakened by war or invasion and sort of faded into the background (and in quite a few cases were completely removed). The fact that Britain faced no form of social upheaval or revolution or military defeat ensured that their own monarchy remained strong (around 1900 we actually had the sight of competing powerful monarchs such as the Tsar of Russia and the Kaiser, not just the British one).

It would require the government to call a referendum, then have said referendum and then parliament pass the relevant legislation.

I'm45. I heard that kleptomania joke when I was in primary school.

Even then it was old.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't think it's that. In 1215, it was enshrined in law that the monarch was not an absolute. The English Civil War built on that by establishing the supremacy of Parliament. The monarchy in the UK had its wings clipped early on which ironically ensured its survival when revolutions across Europe, most notably in France took no prisoners in that regard.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

For sure, though I think defeat in WW1 or WW2 or invasion at any point could well have seen the end of the UK monarchy (as such events would have caused huge social upheaval within Britain itself, leaving the monarchy very much at risk).

They probably dodged a bullet too when Edward VIII abdicated, paving the way for George VI and then Elizabeth. Having a rumoured Nazi sympathiser and Hitler fan on the throne during WW2 would have been a nightmare.

Advertisement