Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

When Gridserve took over the Ecotricity network they voluntarily backed out of the exclusivity agreements. The competition authority strongly suggested that they weren't happy with the arrangements. I've read that Supercharger site leases are usually between 5 and 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭10-10-20

3kW and were the really old style eCars charger type when I was last there in April. The one which I was connected to kept dropping the connection after 20 seconds. Really antiquated architecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Ah don't curse us with Ecars, I'm hoping a better provider will take over, or Tesla just open up the sites to all cars

Those TII sites aren't ageing well that's for sure, they're looking very worn out even compared to a few years ago. Probably the best one I've seen in a while is Gorey and that's probably because it's fairly new

It's a shame because they're nice enough facilities in principle, and having the play areas for the younger kids is brilliant

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Don't anybody dare complain about the state of public toilets at fast chargers until you've been to the one on the Glenshane Road between Derry & Belfast.

You wipe your feet on the way out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Fun trip to Letterkenny today stopping twice at Monaghan.

Why do they put the chargers up against a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

So you can only access the charger from the front. Heaven forbid you'd have access from another side in the event it was blocked at the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

from Anna's answer I pick population volumes for this setup ;) or on a second thought best fit charger ... no site safety

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Yeah exactly, if there was more room you could drive further into the spot past the charger which would cover everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

That's appalling 😟

Also as the last charger before you pass through the unmitigated black hole of the north -that could be the most important charging site in the whole country! You'd be crazy to drive past that charger going anywhere north or north west as you never know when your next opportunity will come!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

in 2 weeks Mayfield will be 16 months old!!

Meanwhile on Facebook Anna is running quizzes!!

All is well thankfully in eCars world.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Sure they have 500 hubs now. All the AC chargers can charge 2 cars at a time and thats a hub.

Best Regards

Anna

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

Had to go to Dublin last weekend and brought the ID4 (City so 52KW)

Found an ESB charger in a local hotel to top me up for the journey home, a Merc estate hybrid was parked in the first bay, had been already plugged in 20 minutes before I arrived.

I had to wedge my car very close to theirs so the CCS cable would reach around the side of the ID4,

I don't understand why do they make those cables so short, its impossible if your charging port is on the Driver side.

Topped up the car to 100% in about 40 minutes, passed the same hotel 3 hours later and the merc was still sitting in the charging space plugged in!

To be fair, it would take 3-4 hours for a Merc PHEV to charge, they can only take 3kW

Bit of a waste, the price for AC charging at the 50kW units is the same as DC charging. Cheaper to go to an AC charger

The theory behind the cables is that the resistance goes up when they get longer, so the cable need to get thicker to match

Thicker cables = More money, and ECars like to do things on the cheap it seems

Charger placement is also a problem, often the DC cables are only really useable from one side of the charger, otherwise you get some fun parking like what you encountered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

majority of the the merc's are only 6 kwh, 2.5 hours to charge, not all the units are the same, 42 kw AC yes, some have a 22 kw socket on the side so the cheaper rate applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Charger placement is a big sticking area with ESB. I stopped for a very quick top up in Mayfield yesterday. I could only use one charger out of them all because all the others were in use (on one side) and the cable on the opposite side wouldn't have reached my charge port.

Basically if your port is on the same side as the car already parked at the closest cable point you are unlikely to be able to use the other space.

Post edited by mfceiling on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Charge port needs to be on the left side which is the right side, not the right side which is the wrong side, so they say

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Is that the left as you look at the car from the front or from behind?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Left as you look from behind. Passenger side on RHD cars. IE Where Tesla and Ioniq28 have it. The correct location.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

For DC and most AC charging I prefer the charge port to be on the drivers side of the car. The only time I prefer it on the passenger side is when using a parallel parked roadside AC charging space.

Would much prefer if installations looked like this then it wouldn't be a huge issue.

I don't get that picture, its 4 spaces with 4 charging units, 2 plugs each, I take it as CCS and chademo on each? A better use would be 2 spaces 1 unit and 2 cars charging simultaneously.

In my opinion its worse than ecars, the whole set up is taking up more space, the area of the charging units is nearly a car space on its own, the charging units could be placed on the grass area and it would it would make no difference what so ever as cars still need to reverse in or reverse out,

A better solution is a common socket location on a car, front or rear, rather than trying to be all things to all people and everyone is complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

It might be a better solution but people have to work in the real world. If you're a CPO and have money burning a hole in your pocket, do you roll out your network in a way that suits all cars or do you wait for all the manufacturers to bend to your will? And then you'll have to ignore all the existing EVs out there with sockets in unsuitable places.

The advantages of this layout are so numerous that it's exactly how almost every petrol station in the world is laid out. There aren't many Circle K stations being build with pumps on the grass forcing people to reverse in (which a lot of people are sadly unable to do) or park diagonally.

Another solution is a charge port on either side.

An extra expense.

How did mobile phone manufacturers react to a single standard for charging?

The existing EVs will phase out over time, why add more to the fleet and then do something?

I want everyone to bend to my will.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

Mobile phones are generally designed and then sold for about 3 years. Cars models are typically sold for a much longer timeframe. Moving the charge port would be a major change to any model so manufacturers would look for a long lead time to enforcement. And by the time that happens, there will be tens of thousands of charge points installed across Europe, hopefully not all as badly designed as eCars ones.

It's four charging spaces served by 4 charging stations (3 dual CCS, 1 CCS+CHAdeMO). Whether your charge port is on the front, front left, front right, rear left, or rear right you have a choice in whether you want to reverse park or forward park. There is also an element of redundancy in that if one goes offline it's going to result in reduced charging speed (sharing one unit) instead of a total shutdown.

I think we need to stop the reliance on sharing chargers between spaces. I want to see 1 unit per charging space with balancing across the whole site instead of the 1 unit per 2 spaces with a persons charge slowing down based because somebody was ignorant and picked the wrong charger. Tesla used to use a paired charger approach but stopped with V3, there were lots of arguments due to people not grasping the nature of the pairing.

Post edited by liamog on

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dsandson

I used an Ionity station at Perth a week or so ago with this layout, obviously with no chademo cables. Whilst the cables were a decent length, I didnt like it. I had to walk out around the charger to get to the screen to unplug - and nearly got run over by an arriving very quiet Mustang Mach-e whose space I had to walk through.

The single charger located at the back of slightly widened parking space is perfect I think, like Ionity City West & Gorey.

Fuel pump layouts are over generous in width as there is a quick turnover of cars. The higher dwell time makes parking bays more suitable for EV charging.

My preference for side layouts is due to the broader compatibility, not every car has the charge port in the same place and not every driver is comfortable with reversing in to a space. Layouts with two chargers between spaces also give an advantage when one might be out-of-order. You can switch to the 2nd charger without moving the car. Ionity Cambridge was the best example I've used.

• Advertisement

I had some recent experience of both at Ionity sites

There's pros and cons to both layouts. The chargers at the side makes it much easier to plug in, but you do have to zigzag around chargers at times

The bay type layout is easier to walk around but not always well placed for the charging port, you can end up stretching the cable to its limit

IMO for HPCs they should be laid out like petrol pumps. Kind of creates a mental signal for people that the spots are for charging and not for parking while you're getting lunch

It might not be best for density but realistically how many chargers are going to be at a site? Maybe a dozen, so not exactly wasting space

Slower chargers like 50kW then go for max density, bay parking with a single charger per space. If you want to serve two spaces then put 2 CCS and 1 Chademo on each unit and make sure the cables are long enough

Advertisement