Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Day hotel dining

• 14-09-2022 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Does anyone know of any hotels doing Christmas Day lunch in Dublin or the surrounding areas? Not the Merrion or Powerscourt as the prices are outrageous!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Fitzwilliam Hotel used to do this. We chose it last minute during the Celtic Tiger years when baby arrived unexpectedly early.

It was a bit strange, mostly tourists, and a few Irish families who didn’t seem to want to talk to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lola40

Ah yeah it’s not the most intimate experience. We just wanted everyone to be together as a family, but don’t really have the space. Doesn’t appear to be many options unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Maybe you could hire a function room in a hotel? With pubs/restaurants being closed, it greatly reduces the available place to eat out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Clontarf castle do this but may not be any cheaper than the ones you listed

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Take a winter break in a non Christian country and dine extravagantly and cheaply on the 25th December !

For extra peace of mind .. Just you and your partner.

Leave the kids at home with the in laws 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭billyhead

Op. Let us know how you get on in the search because I plan on booking somewhere for lunch on Christmas Day for my Mum and Dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lola40

Glenview Hotel in Wicklow is doing Xmas day lunch for €150 p.p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Try Station House Kilmessan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭BingCrosbee

Go down the country for a friendly welcome and keep away from Dublin. I wouldn’t touch Dublin with a barge pole. Try Mullingar or Athlone, less than an hour away and you’ll have a lovely time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Can we keave the Dublin bashing to after hours please. No shortage of threads for that over there and its not in keeping with this particular forum. Thanks.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭Deeec

Just have Christmas dinner at home.

Most caterers do prepared Christmas dinner food which is excellent quality - it just has to be heated and served. I know a family who hired a small marquee for the garden last Christmas with heaters. Everyone fitted in and had a great time.

I think hotels and restaurants that open for Christmas day should be avoided - they are just cashing in. They charge huge amounts that doesn't get passed onto staff. The staff work anti social hours all year and then find they have no choice but to also work bloody Christmas day!

Stay at home and allow all the staff in these establishments to have a good Christmas with their families too!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭BingCrosbee

Sorry. I love Christmas and the Dubs are mostly sound.

For takeaway dinner in Dublin to avoid all the hassle of cooking can anybody recommend somewhere to get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭BK5

Article in the Independent.ie yesterday showing 20 Christmas hotel breaks in Ireland for 2022 if anyone is still looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭SourSessions

We did the Gresham last year - food was okay but atmosphere was lovely.

Stop being lazy and cook yourself. Business's who open Christmas day should not be supported. For god sake its only one day in the year - why cant you cook?

People in takeaways work unsociable hours all year - give them Christmas day off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭JayRoc

They explained that they don't have the space to accomodate a family dinner. Maybe you think everyone lives in a house with a dining room?

• Advertisement

I remember when Christmas meant the whole country was shut down for a week. I'm glad its not like that any more!

I think of Christmas Day like any other public holiday or long weekend.

I worth remembering that not everyone celebrates Christmas, and there are employees who are happy enough to work over Christmas / Christmas Day. A business being open, does not mean they're being exploitative of their employees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Probably the wrong place to say this but is really not acceptable to not “love” Christmas. If you’re in any way indifferent to it you’re accused of all sorts unfortunately. Another one of these strange Irishisms.

Don’t scrimp if going out for Christmas dinner - nothing less than 5 star -you’ll be severely disappointed if you do

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Xidu

Holy moly, just for a dinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Xidu

I have an idea

What about rent an Airbnb house in countryside for 2 nights

and you can cook

and accommodate like 20 people

You dont need to live in a big house to cook christmas dinner! People all over the country in small houses accommodate extra family members at christmas. Eat dinner on your knee if you have to, sit on stools, boxes etc. Thats part of christmas.

Expecting people to work christmas day for a pittance to provide lazy people with a christmas dinner is shameful. Anyone that uses excuses not to cook christmas dinner needs to take a long hard look at themselves. Of course these lazy people want to enjoy christmas dinner with their families but they are happy to deny the same to hospitality workers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,730 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

hotels will be open… people stay there over Christmas…some by choice, some due to necessity, work etc…

I’m guessing there will be eighty to ninety airline staff, long and medium haul pilots and cabin crew dotted around Dublin City in hotels..arriving from US, Middle East & Asia.. they need to layover.

St Stephens day everything is back in action so they’ve no choice, get their legal rest… and back to work…..

receptionists, concierges, security, chefs, bar staff, waiters, cleaners…just need to be there. Same the world over.. Aer Lingus guys will be in New York etc.

its not cashing in, they just figure they need to provide a service to people who NEED to be there..so presumably see it as ok to have the general public just come too…

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Lads can I just remind ye of the forum charter please.

The OP has asked a serious question and this is veering off in a completely unnecessary direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

I work Christmas Day every year…really enjoy the atmosphere and the double pay…….I’d hate to be stuck at home…

• Advertisement
Advertisement