Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Yea he says that a lot alright and it’s true. Joshua could turn in the performance of his life you just can’t say. If he fought shackles off he’s a real handful. He very nearly had Wlad out early doors and not that awful long beforehand Fury beat him but didn’t hurt him. I do think this version of Fury would hurt him but that’s another craic

loasda kitchen dancing yea including in the Fury household!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I don’t think he will. I simply said it’s a possibility. These mega fights are loaded with complexity, and biggest of all, egos. I hope AJ and his team don’t possibly reflect here and think it might be too soon (as in physically too soon since August 20).

I don’t think it is, and I think he has (as a pro athlete) more than enough time to physically be ready. But, my main concern would be how is he mentally feeling on the task..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

It’s a complex event with lots of variables that could happen and the same could be said for the fight

in a perfect world contracts will be signed by the end of the week and all goes smoothly and we get a decent fight

spencer fearon has an interesting take on it here

The internet isn’t for everyone

Listened to some of it. I’ve had me absolute bellyfull this incessant mental health talk.

AJ went on a little tangent/waffle. Big fooking deal. He doesn’t need a stint in Broadmoor just yet!

He’s 9 years a pro or more. So he lost his last two fights. Big deal. As Fury himself said, that last fight was like a spar. AJ isn’t going to get much better, or suddenly rediscover something. He’s in his 30s now, career winding down, and same for Fury. Just get in and give it a fooking knock.

Maybe it’s just me, but are people thinking far too much these days, trying to make simple things, NOT simple?

when I mentioned how AJ will view this fight from a mental side, I simply meant how he feels about it and does he think he can get ready and does he think he can really compete, and possibly win. Simple human natural thoughts and feelings.

It shouldn't all be about money numbers. Remember, this fight is the battle of two huge UK names.

It's only right that it is staged on British soil. This will be a far bigger sell to the public than Saudi. Now, in terms of actual monies/figures, the two boxers will make a lot of money here, as will some other people make a lot of money. Maybe they make more actual money figures wise in Saudi, but when you factor it all in, this mega fight between two big UK HW names, on British soil, to a packed audience......that's far more marketable and valuable!!!

I also reckon both camps/boxers know that if they try take this abroad out of greed, both their reputations and fans bases will be slated.

Post edited by walshb on

• Advertisement

Usyks manager has now said Usyk will look to fight the winner of wilder v helanius

he said he was injured and couldn’t fight fury until next year, not sure what’s going on here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭geotrig

I think fury seems and looks to be in a good space condition wise and seems from the few snippets I've seen keeping himself in some bit of shape and active.

I also don't think its tool early for AJ to fight again ,while I think "spar" is disingenuous to Usyk fight he doesn't really have any mayor lacerations or trauma to get over ,the only question is head space and maybe the 2nd lose to Usyk helps him here ,most would have fury favorite and expected to win.

I can still see one pulling out due to training injury or something but you never know.

on the division even with loses I' not certain there is a clear No#1 Fury / Usyk Maybe but we have to wait an see I see a case of F /U suffering 1 loss at least .

Just 11 weeks to this. Are we a bit naive to think this happens? Just sounds “too good to be true,” as well as being made/agreed far too cleanly…

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Usyk said it was Feb before he would be ready, Fury didn't want to wait and be out of the ring to long especially against a lad like Usyk where your timing needs to be down , Now Uysk is doing the same, he isn't going to wait till April to fight again against Fuy, ( as Fury is out in December) he will want to fight in Feb , Remember the Wilder fight is in October so we won't see him again this year,

Neither Fury or Usyk wants to be caught cold

If AJ and Fury fight and AJ upsets the apple cart, then an Usyk-Fury fight, albeit still very relevant will have lost some of its zip.

Some funny possible permutations the next 9-12 months among the 5-6 lads at HW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

Absolutely laughable cost for Joyce v Parker this weekend:

Customers in the Republic of Ireland can purchase BT Sport Box Office via Sky at www.sky.com/boxoffice/btsport for – €29.99. Or €34.99 (on the day).

So who would Usyk go for

do you think? When do they align? Summer maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,093 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I could win the lotto tomorrow and I am not paying that ffs.

Joyce has never proven himself as any sort of draw and the undercard is full of domestic British boxers who are unknown outside hardcore punters.

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/events/91827-joyce-vs-parker

Sickening price for let’s be honest, two nobodies really. Won’t be touching that PPV!

if it has to be PPV, 15 tops is what it’s worth

Ah it’s a good, even fight and it’s interesting to see who will win. Does it have huge consequences for the HW scene? Not really unless Joyce were to win in some kinda style - we know what Parker brings and it’s not enough to change anything. Wouldn’t a token fiver be plenty for the pleasure?!

How can the sport ever really grow though when a fight like that costs €30 to watch.

Just a pure cash out every time.

If i was Usyk id go for Ruiz, just to keep buys,

Wilder is a nightmare fight for anyone, If he tags Usyk once its over, Usyk for all his brilliant movement still gets hit,

I can't see AJ or Usyk wanting to go near Wilder even more so if he come back and flatten Helenuis like he did everyone pre Fury ,

If Joyce gets a good clean knockout then its huge

You'll have a 3rd English contender right at the top ,

• Registered Users Posts: 38,375 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd love to see Joyce get a shot at one of the bigger names. He's a very smart fighter. I think he'd give Usyk a good fight. I think he beats AJ handily. I'm not sure he could take Fury though but I'd like to see that fight too.

He's a popular fighter too so there'd be big money in it. He doesn't have much time either at 37 years of age.

• Advertisement

I think Parker will be a decent test for joyce, he’s not had a tough opponent really

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

How good is Joyce? I've seen him a couple of times and he always appears (deceptively) slow.

Parker will be a very live underdog. The chap is tough, resilient and resourceful.

He’s not really been tested so far, dubois was meant to be a test for him but he just jabbed his head off and anything dudois had just bounced off him

joyce has a mad engine and granite chin, I’m hoping Parker gets the win he’s changing for the better since training with Andy lee and moving in with fury

Parker has improved with Lee but he’s still just decent. They both have good engines but I think Joyce’s output will be the winner here. He jabs all night. Slow enough footed but I don’t think Parker is much quicker. In handspeed Parker may have a bit of an advantage. I was thinking Joyce on points in what will look like a close decision and that’s why I’ve said it’s not much use at that price

All quite on the Fury AJ front.

Hoping that's a good sign!

He’s on holiday in Cannes I think it’s all down to 258 now to sign the contract

i think Joyce wins in his usual manner, Pressure pressure pressure ,

He'll take some big shots & just keep coming forward with his jab , he actually has some decent body shots to,

Parker's fight v AJ sums Parker up he just never seems to really want it, He's happy to cruise through fights even if he will lose,

Parker frustrates the life out off me, He has loads of great tools but for me lacks the fire in his belly to really put the foot down & go after people,

He never really takes that chance of pouring it on someone just encase he gasses himself ,

Like he always fights within himself , Never leaves it all in there ,

Not sure good thing or bad thing. I guess no news is good news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

For some strange reason Manuel Charr is calling him out.

Advertisement