Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Improvers Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I’ve been practising because it seemed a bit mad to me at the start too. I’ve never carried my own liquids in a race besides on my trail ultra last year. However I much prefer the effect of tailwind than gels on me and if I was doing the Cork marathon I’d probably plant a few of my family around the course but I don’t have that option in Dublin. I wear my hydration pack for every long run even if looping past the car so that I’m well used to it. I’m also on my 3rd hydration pack as the first 2 would bounce too much or drop down my back a bit and pull my neck. The Salomon is amazing in comparison and doesn’t budge. No way I’d have considered it with either of my older ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

I've gotten used to it, previously it's only been 500ml plus gels, last Saturday was the first time trying 750ml and didn't really bother me. Still unsure if I'll do 500 or 750 in Amsterdam.

Based on previous suggestion, I think I'd start with the maurten over a gel to lighten the load.

One massive advantage carrying your own liquids is avoiding water stops, you can hold your line right up the middle.

A little update, had my bloods done after Ratoath and I've low iron. I stitched a couple of screenshots from the results together. So hopefully I can sort that out over the next 25 days and comforting to know this may have been the reason for the poor run.

I have felt very tired the last several weeks but just assumed that's what happens during marathon training.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

So apparently the Maurten caffeine gels take an hour before they start to kick in, so my previous thinking of taking them towards the end of the race was all wrong. By taking it before the run (you can take your eating time it) it's easy carbs consumed for early on in the race. Also, by taking another caffeine gel at 90 mins, that sits on top of the first caffeine gel and should kick in around the 150min mark (when you'll need it most)

Would definitely recommend the 320 drink for early in the race. You get more carbs in the drink than the gels, plus the drink is easier for the body to absorb.

Well thats what I've been told anyway. From practising it last weekend, it did seem to work

Not sure how you had it configured but I started with the two flasks next to both hips and it didn't feel right at all. Changed to front and back and they felt a lot more secure then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I actually had them at the hips and it felt very secure - but also very heavy! I'm a skinny bloke. Half a kilo is a quite a lot of extra weight relatively speaking (for me).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think you are all crazy considering carrying all this liquid during a race. Most races you get water every 20-30 mins or more frequently than that if you're a faster runner.

A lot of races also have sports drink at water stations. I know for myself a belt like that would drive me nuts during a race. Would end up getting flung into the crowd at some point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Unknownability

I am/was one of these people.

In my last marathon, I had my phone, earpods, tube of anti chaffing, pain killers, credit card, 2 * 250 ml bottles, 8 gels and a bag of those caffeine jellies.

The only things I used were the water which I replaced at aid stations, two gels and turned Spotify on for the last couple of miles.

I know it's way too much but I like the comfort of knowing that all the stuff is there.

Especially as the next marathon is Cup only and I've never races using them.

The benefits are that you don't need to get caught up in the traffic at every single aid station. However I do need to stop carrying that much stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Everyone is different. I also plan on carrying my fluids with me. Its really easy to do actually and I prefer it than messing at water stops.

Im a very heavy sweater even on cold days so I know exactly what I need to keep me hydrated, fuelled etc and the best way to do that is carry my own liquids with the mix I need.

Having your nutrition right on the day is as an important factor as any training run you’ll ever do imo. If you’re happy to rely on water stations etc then more power to you, I prefer to have exactly what I need to preform to the best I can and carrying my own mix of fluids that’s specifically right for me is one way I can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭py

By the time some runners got to the lucozade stand at DCM 2019, it was all gone. Relying on the fuel stops at races has the potential to lead to disaster. LSRs are for practicing race technique, that involves carrying/consuming fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

I'm not a fan of carrying water but I do like how easy it is to drink from those soft flasks after testing it yesterday. It's something I've always struggled with, cups or bottles, always near choke myself.

Would filling one from a water station be a faff?

Suppose I can practise that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I like the idea of having enough fluids for the first hour to avoid busy water stops and to ensure I get enough in. After that I'll be happy to rely on gels and the odd cup from the aid stations. Using Tailwind or similar means you're also getting electrolytes and carbs which is a bonus. It's definitely a personal thing though. I totally get the idea of wanting to carry the minimum possible.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, ultimately do whatever works best for you but it does seem a bit unnecessary to me. I've never had an issue with getting enough fluid at races.

The cups there is a bit of knack to it, but straightforward once you get used to it.

I don't generally bother taking on water during most training runs unless I'm going very 2.5+ hours. Even the I'll just loop back around to where I started to take on water.

You take from the table grabbing the bottom of the cup then squeeze them to make a jug like effect and then pour a mouthful into your mouth and carry on, repeat if necessary, cups should only be 2/3rds full so that should be enough to take on per water station.

Also most people go for the first part of the water stop if you carry on towards the end of the water stop it tends to be less crowded.

I love the Maurten gels but I can’t drink the 320 during a race as I feel it leaves my mouth feeling a bit dry.

My plan which I have worked on during long runs is to take 2x250ml soft flasks filled with a mix of Kinetica Energy powder and a Precision Hydration 1500 tab. I drink one at 14km and drink the other at 28km. Also take a Maurten gel at 8-16-24 and 32km, with 8 and 24km being Caffeinated gels. Works for me and even if it’s overkill I’d much rather have them with me than not.

All fits very easily in that Decathlon belt mentioned above, wouldn’t even know you had them on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Water is still being provided in bottles at DCM 22 is it not?

From website:

Water will be provided at 10 locations (see route map) in 250Ml Ishka Water bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I've been reading the posts on nutrition with interest.....like someone mentioned earlier, I can't imagine carrying that much stuff on me for a race but whatever works.

Raceday nutrition is not something I've concentrated on tbh....my previous marathon failings have all come long before I've reached the start line (ie. getting injured and missing chunks of training).

Maybe if I make it through the next few weeks injury free I'll be chasing the marginal gains in my next marathon 😎

Fwiw, I'll be carrying 5 SiS Gels in a FlipBelt and relying on the water stations...I don't think I could stomach anything else beyond that.

I did think about that as I could easily have the tailwind powder in a couple of soft bottles and add water when my others are finished but if you drop a lid or something it could all go to pot so I think I’ll just have a couple of gels instead for the latter part of the race. I’ll probably make my tailwind quite concentrated and be taking water from the odd station as I go then.

for my last two half marathons I carried my own 300ml bottle of tailwind and didn’t take water from any of the water stations and I really noticed how everybody slowed down there yet I was gone on myself with no distractions.

• Advertisement

Just to confirm that the majority of people are not carrying water, they are carrying their own form of energy/carb drink.

There's a reason why elites have their own special tables at marathons, with their choice of drink. They are easier/faster for the body to consume the carbs than gels. Unfortunately, us plebs do not get our own special tables, so have to carry them at the start.

I still plan on using the water stops during the race

I would question why carry the soft flasks for so long? Is there a scientific reason or you just prefer to mix it up.

I can understand that up to a point at a race like Dublin where you essentially just get water, but in Chicago we get sports drink at each water stop as well so no need really to carry anything. I'm pretty lucky in that I'll tolerate most sports drink/gels that I've tried.

I agree a sports drink is easier than gels, particularly over the longer distances but I'd much prefer roll with some gels in my pocket than be dealing with carrying all that gear around for 26 miles.

As I said above do whatever works for you, just speaking for my own experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,449 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I did the DCM 1/2 Marathon on Saturday with no gels, carried nothing and didn't bother stopping at any of the water stations. As you say it is a small but nice little victory when you are shooting past people as they slow right down to take a drink.

I got a 4 min PB on Saturday and found I was perfectly fine with taking nothing during the race, I am really coming around to the idea that all the talk about nutrition and overly complicated drink schedules is all a bit much really. People measuring it down to the gram and to the exact minute, each to their own but is it really necessary?

Will I take something in the full marathon? I'm sure I will, probably will start with a 750ml bottle of tailwind that I'll drink between hours 1 and 2, and after that hope to grab an energy drink from one of the stations. Beyond that I don't think I'll worry about it too much. If 6 odd months of training fails because I didn't take a gel then it wasn't worth a damn to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

Congrats on the PB, no doubt it bodes well for the big day.

However, there's a massive difference between a Half and full, not comparable.

And what your planning on taking for the marathon, 750ml of tailwind and a sports drink, not exactly insignificant.

The equivalent of 3 to 5 gels and you seem to have your own schedule for taking the fuel, tailwind over the first couple of hours and then sports drink.

Maybe some are a bit more precise (me included) with scheduling as I want to give the last 1,000 kilometers of training and all the sacrifices every chance of success.

Yes bit ironic to say what he said then in the same breath tell us he’s taking 750ml of Tailwind 😂

Nothing complicated really about knowing what works for you. Nothing really complicated about putting some powder and electrolytes tabs in a soft flask. That’s basically what Tailwind is anyway isn’t it? I fail to see the difference so. I’d use Tailwind only I find my mix works better for me.

I always find it very poor and actually dangerous advice when someone starts an answer about nutrition on here with “You don’t really need” People ran x amount of distance without water or carbs. Good for you, not everyone else is the same, just because you do it doesn’t mean everyone should. Everyone should know what they need to perform and not what someone else needs or doesn’t need.

Maybe it’s my background in Ironmans that has me like I am,but to me nutrition is up there as one of the most important things you need to get right on race day.

Everyone is free to do what they want though, maybe I take it all too seriously, I possibly do, but I know I wouldn’t have ever got close to some of my finishing times without the proper fuelling that’s right for me.

Post edited by FinnC on

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Yeah, that was a very muddled comment. It's undeniable that you need some fuel to perform to your best in the marathon. Whether that's from a tailored blend of expensive nutrition products or from fruit pastilles is probably irrelevant but it has to be something that works for you and that you've tested in advance on longer efforts. Half-marathon is a different matter entirely and most faster runners probably don't need anything at all for that if they're properly fueled to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ewc1978

What I find funny is getting a VO2 max test or your Heart Rate zones tested in lab to get the correct zones for you would probably not be considered over complicating things but getting the right nutrition for you is considered over complicating things.

No one would ever give advice to someone saying you need to hold this exact HR number etc as everyone’s HR is individual to them but telling someone they don’t need this or that amount of fuel without actually knowing anything about that person is considered acceptable.

I got a sweat test done last year and it has definitely benefited me.

I struggled through 5 marathons unable to break 4 hours, I think nutrition or lack of played some part in those failures.

Hoping for a 3:10 in Amsterdam in a few weeks.

Best of luck in Amsterdam. Really enjoyed the half there last year … and the weekend surrounding it.

I did a long marathon pace workout myself yesterday carrying one 250ml flask in the rear pocket and a gel. Had no problem getting the flask out of the pocket but it was a pain in the ass trying to get it back in! More practice needed, but I'm leaning away from carrying any fluids at all at this point. I’ll certainly take Maurten gels and take my chances with the Chicago water cups. Might still take one flask, but only if I can get better at getting it in and out pocket. The price of ‘non jiggly’ seems to be ‘fiddly’ (for me).

• Advertisement

At least in Chicago you have water on both sides of the road so should make it a bit easier.

Advertisement