Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roxy Music 50th Anniversary Tour 2022

Options
  • 08-09-2022 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭furiousox

Roxy Music have announced a 50th anniversary tour featuring all of the original members (minus Eno)

First date of the tour was last night in Toronto

Selist is here, looks pretty good no complaints there

Roxy Music Concert Setlist at Scotiabank Arena, Toronto on September 7, 2022 | setlist.fm

Some footage on youtube, I think it's all a bit flat unfortunately.

Ferry is singing in a much lower register and letting the backup singers hit the high notes.

I have a ticket for the O2 London gig and I know some boardsies are heading over to other UK shows.

Hopefully they'll be well warmed up by then and the show will be as good as expected.

September 7 -- Toronto, Ontario - Scotiabank Arena

September 9 -- Washington, D.C. - Capital One Arena

September 12 -- New York City, NY - Madison Square Garden

September 15 Philadelphia, PA - Wells Fargo Center

September 17 Boston, MA - TD Garden

September 19 Chicago, IL - United Center

September 21 Austin, TX - Moody Center

September 23 Dallas, TX - American Airlines Center

September 26 San Francisco, CA - Chase Center

September 28 Los Angeles, CA - The Forum

October 10 Glasgow, Scotland - OVO Hydro

October 12 Manchester, England - AO Arena

October 14, London, England - The O2

CPL 593H

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I'm not travelling to see them this time, but I saw them in the Point and in a sweltering Vicar Street. Both shows were great. I remember chatting to people in the queue who had come over from the UK and didn't realise that Vicar Street was so small. They couldn't believe they were getting to see them in such an intimate venue.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭furiousox

God yeah, I'd forgotten about Vicar St, 2006!

And it was sweltering 😓

Great gig though...

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

I was at that but unfortunately was stuck next to a crowd who were there for the poptastic 80s hits and Mr. Sex on Legs who they kept shouting at to get them off 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I had a listen to a few clips , unfortunately Ferrys voice is shot.

He is 76 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Playing Glastonbury too

• Advertisement

Yep - I had a listen and agree. Last chance to see them I reckon so cant pass it up. The 2001 reunion DVD is fantastic for anyone that doesnt have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Is that it as far as gigs are concerned? No more planned for rest of Europe? I'm strongly thinking of going to one of the UK gigs but I'm wary that they might suddenly announced a rest of Europe tour. Although they would have announced other gigs by now wouldn't they?

The Vicar St gig is one of my all time favourites, I still can't believe I got to see them in a more intimate venue. I appreciate that time has moved on since then and that not going to be reaching the same heights but still...it's Roxy Music.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Never a huge fan, but some cracking songs..

And yeah, they don't make them like this anymore.

• I saw Bryan Ferry in NCH about a decade ago and he was in good voice then, but subsequently when I saw him at Trinity his voice had changed and he was sitting down all the time. I took it he had health issues.

Reading the reviews from the US dates and they are all positive.

Great, great, classic songs performed by a tight band that are "on it".

The suggestion is that if you make allowances for Ferry singing in a lower register you will have a good time.

With that in mind this album is on heavy repeat, and it's fantastic!

Feck it, it's the last time we will get to see them and it's going to be EPIC!

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

I saw him in Trinity too and thought it was brilliant- did he play a few gigs there?Twas about 3-4 years ago before Covid like - really enjoyed it. Don't remember him sitting down at all, unless he did some sort of acoustic number but yeah, good gig

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 72,658 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I’ve staved off looking at the setlist and/or clips on youtube from the current tour for now.

Will be getting sartorially suited and booted for the show, but I might wear this underneath…

....and I thought I was the only one in the country with one of those t-shirts. 😄 😄

CPL 593H

So how is/was the Glasgow gig?

CPL 593H

Saw Byron Ferrari at the Trinity Summer series gigs in 2018. Great performance, total pro going on 5 days after his ex-wife Lucy Birley died in tragic circumstances in Ireland. Very well crafted and delivered music; worth checking out.

Here in Manchester - review to follow!! :D

Here we go! SPOILERS!

Roxy were magnificent! Obviously, Ferry now sings in a lower register but still on fine form. Highlights…

Manzanera shredding at the end of ‘Ladytron’, the surprise inclusion of ‘Tara’ in the set, great visuals (especially during ‘Remake/Remodel’ and ‘Do The Strand’ showing shots of the band in their 70’s pomp and outtakes of the album cover photoshoots), and my personal favourite moment ‘In Every Dream Home’ which sounded AMAZING at the wig-out ending.

VIVA ROXY MUSIC!

Nice one!

Looking forward to the O2 tomorrow night, love 'dream home'!

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

One of the best uses of a song in a TV or film is In Every Dream Home A Heartache in an episode of Mindhunter. Very effective.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

The couple sitting in front of me brought a massive bag of Kettle Chips with them to eat.

It’s the future Roxy envisioned :D

In situ 😀

CPL 593H

Brilliant.

Amazing venue with great sound and visuals.

As already mentioned Manzanera on fire as was Andy Mackay.

Older songs were highlights - The Bogus Man, Re-Make/Re-Model, In Every.................. finished with great rousing versions of Virginia Plain and Do The Strand.

Glad I travelled to Glasgow to see it as Roxy seem to have a special connection with the city and the Atmosphere was brilliant.

O2 London gig

Landed in Stansted and straight out to my air bnb near Canary Wharf.

O2 was only 7 minutes from there by train.

Massive venue, first time there. Similar size to the Manchester arena I guess.

I had a good seat on floor level about 20 rows from the stage.

Roxy came on about 8.50pm.

CPL 593H! (I afforded myself a wry smile) 😃

Sound was a bit muddy at first but improved as the night went on.

I actually enjoyed the 'bogus man' even though I never particularly liked it previously.

Definitely got a new appreciation for it now.

Great musicianship all round, loved Manzanera 'wigging out' on occasion.

McKay played well and Paul Thompson nailed it too, great to see.

'Dream home' was awesome!!

Ferry sang better than I expected, everything was in a lower key I think? but he did a decent job on the night.

So yeah I enjoyed the gig a lot, they really are unique. Classic after classic!

Strange moment at the very end, the three lads were centre stage arms aloft acknowledging the applause while Ferry was off on his own stage left.

It looked like they were waiting for him to join them but he turned and fecked off.

They kind of looked at each other and left the stage as well!

Nightmare leaving the place, about 15k people all funnelling into one small tube station.

Not sure if I could be arsed going to that particular venue again but the gig was something special, we won't see a band of their quality again.

Let's hope they play Dublin in 2023! 😃

CPL 593H

Similar size crowd at Glasgow and also long wait for taxi at end due to a rail strike that day.

As a follow on I'd recommend anyone travelling to UK for concerts in future to consider Glasgow as alternative to London/Manchester.

Venue there is on a par with the others and its a short 40 minute flight and probably cheaper too.

Been a long time since I had been there and was surprised to see how vibrant and friendly it is now with loads of options for food and drink and things to do. Was really impressed. Natives very friendly also.

Advertisement