Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Recliner

Can't post pic at the min. It definitely is cooked, I suppose it just looks totally different than what I'm used to seeing because I didn't brown the mince.

I'm going to skim the fat as @Faith suggested and then drain through a very fine sieve. I'll fry off the mince and thicken up the liquid with some cornflour and add a stockpot.

I mean it tastes fine, it just looks odd.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'd keep the liquid, reduce it separately and then add it again, I'd say it'll add a lot of flavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

anyone know if you add cream to soup and then freeze it for later consumption does the cream split when defrosted and affect the taste

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I think a lot depend on the vegetable used, too - I know for a fact that butternut squash soup, with or without cream, cannot be frozen, it splits completely and no amount of blending will fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Recliner

Yeah, that's what I did. Cooked off the mince separately to give it some colour, I didn't reduce the liquid too much, it could go very concentrated and salty but thickened with a cornflour slurry. Threw the whole lot back in together and added a beef stock pot and some smoked paprika.

Not traditional bolognese, but ended up being packed with flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MacDanger

What size of a slow cooker would you recommend? There's a 3.5L one in Lidl but I had a look and it seems to be a bit on the small side? Would be doing things like tagine & pulled pork in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Nearly Had a heart attack at the price of Heinz Beans in the shop earlier. I buy the small tins in the pack of 3 and leave them in the press as an emergency.

Partial to beans on toast as a standby, what beans would others recommend?

I love borlotti, with a nice clove of garlic or some garlic powder mixed in as I heat them in the pan (if not using the garlic powder/granules, shallow fry the smashed garlic a bit before adding the tin of beans) and a chopped leaf or two of parsley. Mind you, the quality of borlotti varies a lot depending on the brand (a bit like tomatoes you've grown yourself in the garden in the sun vs. winter supermarket tomatoes that only taste "greenhousy"), they're not the easiest to find, either, but you can get them in Aldi and you used to be able to get them in Tesco, too. They're very rich and creamy and go very well in winter soups and stews, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Own brand supermarket. Not the very cheapest but next up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I think 6.5 litre is one we have. If you’re cooking for more than 2 people then the larger one would be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MacDanger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The dunnes own brand (25c!) are perfect for me anyway, taste nice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I prefer Lidl and Aldi baked beans over those from either Tesco or Dunnes. The cans without the ring pull will be slightly cheaper, but the product is the same.

They're the standard two serving size though, not the small cans.

Isn;t it lovely that we all get different taste preferences met! Even for the humble baked bean! I only have access to Supervalu now but they have a good range. Oh a sales assistant man in LIDl told me that there is 10 cent price difference even on beans between ringpull and tin opened needed tins. At which I dug out my tin opener..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I bought some fresh corn cobs. They are covered in green leaves. Never cooked them from fresh before!

I want to cook them whole on my griddle pan... should I blanch them first?

And, what does "shucking" corn mean? Does than mean cutting off the little bits of corn, or just peeling the leaves away? It's not obvious to me from the American recipes.

Any ideas?

Ah reminds me of when I had a polytunnel and grew sweetcorn... Picked it, peeled it on the way back to the house then straight into the pan... mmmmmm Do enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yeah shucking is just removing the husks. You can bake them with the husks on or remove them, which I usually do. Grill them till they get a bit charred and then toss them in a mixture of butter, lime and cayeene pepper. Delish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I got the Lidl Newgate beans, 3 of the small tins for 82p.

Was pleasantly surprised.!

Will buy again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd remove the beard and some of the leaves but leave a covering of leaves on the cob (this helps the corn to steam a bit and protects from excessive charring) . I'd griddle them for about 15 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I changed to using a 'fancy' brand of tinned tomatoes a while ago - Bunalun - rather than Lidl's cheapest which I've used for years. Still had a few tins of Lidl stuff to use up though, which I have tonight.

I now realise that I'd made the right decision. Proving very hard to get flavour in to the dish (meatballs in red sauce, nothing interesting) as the Lidl tomatoes are completely flavourless, and make up so much of the dish.

May backtrack if there's further huge price rises in the winter though!

If you can, try the Mutti range. A whole different ball game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I use their pizza sauce based on recommendations here, although I do still usually add a tiny bit of sugar and black pepper. Never thought to try their 'normal' tinned tomatoes as I was so used to using the Lidl ones.

When I had a full size kitchen (still using my mid refurb setup) I would buy them by the tray!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Went to buy Dunnes own brand eggs today - gone up again to 4.65 for 20 large eggs. The original price was 3.50, then went to 3.99, now 4.65….made our way to aldi and they are still 3.99…but for how long?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Dunnes own brand chicken fillets prices sky rocketing as well lately.

I guess the real question is, what price went up first, the chicken or the egg?

12 eggs in Aldi - free range - €3.69; 10 organic eggs in Lidl - €3.69.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I've very much noticed that, too. I've not gone full-on brand name yet, but even between Lidl's cheap and their slightly more expensive tinned tomatoes (10c difference, or thereabouts), the difference is simply staggering. It had me wondering if they're adding water to the cheap tins?

Advertisement