Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

The ball is changed for every single restart nowadays. At one stage (in the second half I think) the linesman was standing right beside Paudie Mahony as he was passed the towel to dry his hurley. The Ballygunner mentor then openly passed him a new sliothar. If memory serves me right Paudie actually put the free wide.

Strange to highlight one but not the other & as I said, it happens in every single game in wet conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yeah was thinking with him having secured a club AI with Ballygunner, there's not much left in the club game for him to achieve at this stage. Ten-in-a-row county titles next year probably the last item to cross off the list and that will more than likely be a formality. Back to back Munster's and AI's would be a huge achievement but don't think any of the the BG lads would lose too much sleep if they fell short of either of those. Hopefully all of that might entice him to give the county setup one more tilt under a fresh regime. As you said, he probably won't but no harm asking him.

Michael Ryan also on the same page:

“I don't think there's ever been a better goalkeeper in Waterford” Michael Ryan on Stephen O'Keeffe | WLRFM.com

• Registered Users Posts: 38,387 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Limerick at home in the 1st Round of Munster and our last game is Tipp away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭decies

It maybe only September but when will the county hurlers preseason start , strength and conditioning even ? Let’s be honest going by the way the Munster championship ended up we have a lot of catching up to do .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The moment club championships are over, the extended panels will be brought in for some sessions and started to be whittled down from there before Challenge matches in December start happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

I do not believe that Strength and Condition were our issues in Munster Championship remember we beat Tipp, while in the Gaelic Grounds we were on Limerick's goal line at full time searching for a goal to give us a draw, the Cork game was a flat performance and we were still in it up to the last couple of minutes, and the Clare game, well we just downed tools - it was not about our strength and conditioning it was about where we were mentally at that stage. Likewise it was not about our league win, we played the league giving fringe players plenty of game time, which was the ideal way to go about it, we didn't win it by going full out and playing our strongest team every week!!

I do not know for definite what went on between the Limerick and Cork Games but there is seldom that much smoke without fire - if the rumors that have emerged are even half true, management by all accounts made a bad call with some really savage training sessions and rather than sending us fresh into Cork after the break, sent us in totally drained and Cork took full advantage. Lets be honest the game was gone after Cork , it is hard to pick yourself up to hope for a miracle when you know in your own heart and soul you have blown it like we had, that effects belief and morale. Most importantly if it happened as a result of a bad call the blame game starts from all sides and the ghost is gone.

Sometimes coaches overthink and over react to situations, in my opinion the two week break was an ideal opportunity to recover and sharpen up on finer points and details such as game plans etc and give lads a chance to go in really fresh - by all accounts we done the opposite - it was a mistake, it happened lets move on and learn - i believe we should be approaching next year in the same manner, taking the league serious, but giving your full panel plenty of game time by putting out reasonably strong seasoned teams but integrating fringe players into the side - not putting out a full reserve team for a game or two and asking them to sink or swim. Give lads a chance to impress as part of a fairly settled team.

This panel has not became a bad panel overnight, we are still in my opinion in the top three in the country and we can take heart from our performance in the Gaelic Grounds and also with how close KK went to toppling Limerick - BUT WE MUST LEARN FROM AND NOT REPEAT OUR MISTAKES.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Hear we are robbing one of yere coaches to add to cahills backroom team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

Tony browne

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

Look at ballygunners dominance in two ways, 1) positive is that it will drive other clubs on to raise their standards to try and compete

or

2) negative is that players at other clubs will think they haven’t a chance of winning anything (at senior or intermediate) and will find it hard to stick at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭newhouse87

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

it will be a bit surreal to see Tony wearing a Tipperary crest on his shirt, the man bleeds Waterford and Mount sion. But good luck to him.

Yeah and then the other side seeing Tipps Eoin Kelly wearing a Waterford top

Surreal times

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Looks like the rumour about a bust up within management over team selection (prior to the game in Ennis) was false.

Would Tony be the first time in modern history that a Waterford man is involved in a senior set up of one of the “big 3”?

What are you basing this on …?

the fact that Tony brown is going to Tipperary…?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

Donal O'Rourke is with Cork.

Sorry yes you’re indeed correct. Same question again, apart from those two lads have we ever had any involvement in a senior set up of the big 3 before those? Suppose the point I’m getting at is that it’s at least encouraging to see some of our own are deemed good enough to be involved with set ups of the traditional hurling counties. In years/decades gone by it seems like that would never happen. Can only be a good thing as I’m sure some of these guys would be more than happy to answer the call to Waterford if/when the time comes and having gotten good experience in those set ups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

Cappoquin man. recently coached Erin's Own Cork, Garway camogie winning team last year, De La Salle this year.

James ‘joxer’ O’Connor coached/managed a very high profile club did he not….? There are more waterford explayers / coaches involved with Other counties than you think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭deisedude

The likes of James O'Connor and Fintan O'Connor both have good experience outside the county. Have they ever been involved with the Waterford minors or U21's? Seems like the calibre of lads that should at least be coaching at that level

Joxer was in charge of the u21s about 15 years ago and Fintan was a selector under Derek McGrath for a while… or was it Michael Ryan..

the club scene can be quite lucrative for some top coaches, much more so than managing a team of u17s or u20s, so it’s very hard to draw these guys back into underage county setup once their out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭deisedude

Particularly when there is no carrot at the end of it. You look at Ryan in Cork or Cahill in Tipp, I think they were more likely to take the underage jobs because it's a stepping stone to the senior gig. It's never been viewed that way in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ovalu

Nicky Cashin

Yeah would just assume that Cahill would hardly assemble the same background team that imploded - if the rumour were true. I could be completely wrong, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dammo

Cahill the cute bastard getting his ‘foreign’ scapegoat in ….. I admire it really!

haha but no, he’s the boss, he’s the gaffer. The buck stops with him.

Fair play to Tony, passing enemy lines to finally get hold of the secret formula.

• Advertisement

Managed kk minors to an AI in 02/03. Don’t think he was ever involved with the senior setup

Advertisement