Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've only set up Heroic but it's easy and very user-friendly to set up. Got my Epic and GOG libraries set up without a bother (outside the less than ideal SD desktop interface), although GOG games might give a bit more of a headache when it comes to actually running them.

Lutris seems like the option if you want to go advanced but it's more convoluted as a result. I'd be a bit reticent to do it without a proper keyboard and mouse set up for the task.

This Verge article explains it all well: https://www.theverge.com/23132688/steam-deck-epic-games-store-gog-origin-how-to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Thanks Johnny_Ultimate,

Heroic defintely appeals to me for the user friendliness. I just saw the terminal commands needed for Lutris and dont think I could cope without a mouse and keyboard setup which I dont have just now so Heroic it is! 😁

Going to be fun getting this deck up and running tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Setup my A2 Samsung SD card last night, was just format in steam on deck and good to go. Tested 1 game install and disk write speed was just over 50MB per second which isn't bad at all.

I installed emudeck but will leave it for the weekend to setup rooms from my PC. Need to install heroic also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Heroic works great, though I did have an issue the other day where I couldn't access the Epic store through it. Turns out there had been an update that I must have missed the notification about and needed to restart the device. A very minor issue.

Just make sure with Heroic that you start the game in desktop mode before accessing it in Steam mode. Most of the games I've tried need an initial startup that way first.

Would be interested in hearing how people are getting on with Lutris though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I set up both, I dont remember lutris being particularly hard to set up, once installed I think I just logged into each account. But I've not used either much to be honest. Just checked it worked.

If you need to Copy and paste without a mouse? It isn't too bad.

Find the webpage with the text you want. Use the touch screen to highlight it. Click the Left trackpad to "right click" and select copy.

Then when you need to paste, open the keyboard (steam + X) and in the bottom right of the keyboard they have a "paste" button for you.

Took me ages to spot that paste button so I'll assume others missed it too 🙂

• Advertisement

Just want to give my take on the Steam Deck from recieving it a week ago.

Background:

I have a decent PC from 2017, 6800k Intel CPU 6 core/12 hyperthreads, 1080Ti, 16GB(have extra 16GB but removed due to issues which turned out to be Seagate HD issues), 1TB NVME, 34" 100Hz GSync monitor have Logitech wheel, X52 Flight Stick, Oculus Rift.

I had to move my gaming PC to my office, WFH/Space issue( and kid was hogging my gaming PC for YouTube:) )

I started playing the new Spiderman game on my gaming PC but only felt like playing games at the weekend.

With the Steam Deck, I'm playing 5-15 mins here and there in the kitchen(the sleep/unsleep mode is fantastic) and pplaying for hours in the living room while the mrs watches her shows.

I've gone from gaming from around 6 hours a week to 20+ hours a week, like it used to be before kid(s) lol

For me with a family and gaming from home, the Steam Deck is absolutely fantastic(especially when I have over 1400 Steam titles and a huge backlog) and exactly what I needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

as someone with a 4 month old and a 3 year old with 500+ steam games I can relate.

I have actually found myself using the steam remote play a lot but its annoying to have to have the desktop running just for that and love the idea of pick up and play of the deck.

Tell me, asking for a friend. How loud is it? Is it noticeable if you are playing in the sitting room while Mrs Imimmfn is watching TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Recently got back into playing my deck there as the switch held my interest with triangle strategy and live a live remake.

It's such an unreal piece of kit I feel overwhelmed in choosing what to play.

Stuck into divinity 2 lucky to get three hours our of the deck playing it it's a juicy boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

How does Divinity 2 play actually? I have Disco Elysium to play (once I fix the control issues), and not sold on the controls for it.

Yeah, I used to use a steam link which is cool but as you say you still have your leccy gobbling PC running full pelt so the deck is far cheaper :)

On the fan noise, it depends on the game and the ambient temp. We haven't turned on the heating yet and it's 19/20 degrees in the house, playing something heavy like Spiderman you can hear the fan in a quiet room but it's quite neglible. In a room with the TV on you wouldn't hear it, the mrs never commented at least so far :)

I've noticed it will take maybe 30 mins or so before the fan will kick in

You can also control framerate etc. so there is less pressure on the APU so less heat=slower or off fan

• Advertisement

Anyone install the latest version of Emudeck to a micro SD card?

Ive formatted the micro SD in EXT4 but it still wont let me select it during install.

Should I use Btrfs script to format the card on the deck?

No problem installing to internal drive but I'd prefer to keep it on micro SD

Thanks

I installed it yesterday, the file requester for the install is junk, you need to enter the path, from memory it's /run/media and select it from that dir, you may need to try it twice as the file requester hung on me the first time

Thanks! I thought it was just me 😊

Will give a try later after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Ordered 256GB August 3rd, got the order email today. They've really ramped up production recently!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Just checked and progress has jumped to 96.17%, nice!

Thanks for that. Do you mind me asking where you entered the path? Is it a terminal command?

Im totally not having any luck getting emudeck to install to the SD card or even let me select it during installation.

Thanks in advance.

When installing it asks for the location, it defaults to the Decks internal storage(location at top of file requester), change that location to /run/media, press enter, your SD card should appear and select it.

If anyone is having issues with Heroic and Epic Game Store games after initial install and error that Proton is not found, select settings and just change the proton version, launch game, change proton back again and good to go.

Thanks dude.

Got it installing to the SD card now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

anyone have this issue trying install xcloud on steam deck ? steam deck not taking this command error with flat pack =

flatpak --user override --filesystem=/run/udev:ro com.microsoft.Edge

presume this is why it won't boot up xcloud off steam when it won't take that conmand on Konsole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Anyone else having storage issues? I have had the 64 gig model since early April and have been using it with a 512 gig SD card. Have never installed any games to the local storage as I wanted to keep it for the OS but now there is less than 1 gig free with almost all of the drive being occupied by 'other' data. A quick google seems to mark it out as some kind of caching issue but there doesn't seem to be a firm way of fixing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wow, they've really picked up the order pace.

I ordered a second one for a gift on 29 July and just paid for it there. Just over a month from paying the deposit to purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Up to 94% here and only ordered 11 days ago. Are you using the EU queue in getmydeck? I read a few reddit posts and was mentioned on here too that we're lumped in with UK queue.

It's shader caching, it stores that on local storage only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Plays well , good control scheme already inbuilt via the official text isn't too bad to read. A monster on the auld battery though also a lot of radial menus to switch between characters. But it works quite well, makes me excited to play baldurs gate 3 once that gets released.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I've found that some times Konsole puts a little space at the start when I try to copy and paste into it. I don't think anything happens when you do press enter after pasting this. You just get a second line but that's okay.

Did you do the extra step and add this to the shortcut. Open Properties (little cog) and change the "launch options" to this

run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=/app/bin/chrome --file-forwarding com.google.Chrome @@u @@ --window-size=1024,640 --force-device-scale-factor=1.25 --device-scale-factor=1.25 --kiosk "https://www.xbox.com/play"

Xbox have the steps here and some nice art work too https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/xbox-cloud-gaming-in-microsoft-edge-with-steam-deck-43dd011b-0ce8-4810-8302-965be6d53296

In case you want to do similar to add Netflix, Disney, Stadia etc. You can add a Chrome short cut over and over again. And then change the shortcuts to update the last part. So Netflix is like this.

run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=/app/bin/chrome --file-forwarding com.google.Chrome @@u @@ --window-size=1024,640 --force-device-scale-factor=1.25 --device-scale-factor=1.25 --kiosk https://www.netflix.com/

To grab art work use this site https://www.steamgriddb.com/ You need 5 bits, an Icon, horizontal box art, vertical box art, a logo, and a background.

Add the icon in the properties part.

Right-click the background above the green play button and you can set the custom background and logo.

Run the app.

Then go back to the steam library and you will see it in the recently played. Right-click here Select manage and add custom artwork. (Add the horizontal artwork.

Finally, run a different game and then go back to the library so your Netflix is the second most recent and it will have a smaller blank box. Right-click and manage and set custom artwork. Set this to vertical box art.

Repeat for whatever else you want.

Uninstall some games from the SD card should remove the shader cache for that game.

It's the single major issue with the 64Gig Steam Deck, loads of posts about it on reddit/steam forums. Hopefully Valve will provide a mechanism to move it to the SD card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Advertisement