Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are your students allowed leave school at luchtime?

Options
  • 21-09-2022 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭

I was in a local town there Tuesday and noticed a huge amount of students from one school out at luchtime, there are about 950 students in the school. Im sure its only 5th and 6th years but there did seem to be younger students. I remember in my own school evry students got to go out to the shop at lunch even first years. it was a small 400 student chool, in a very small town, but by 6th year it was only 5th and 6th years allowed and even as students among the seniors at least it was something we felt was right to be brought in. This was in 2000/01 abiut 2010 the school stopped any students leaving for lunch, and i think this was rightfuly so. Hard enough to be managing students without letting them unsupervised off school premises, I would imagine insurance would be a minefield if anything were to happen them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Our students are allowed off campuss for lunch from TY up. Not aware of any insurance issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Depends on school size I thought?

I know of one school that used to allow it, but because of problems in the town it was stopped.

Another school with 1200 will not allow it. As its just not practical. While another school at the opposite end of the town does allow it (different timetabling and closer to shops)

Can only imagine how annoying it is for shopkeepers to have students descend on you every day. Yes, nice money earner, but but it can be frustrating.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭emmaro

Only TY, 5th and 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Random sample

We don’t allow them out any more. it’s a pity, it was a nice bonus for seniors at one stage.

Lots still go out, and are facilitated by the local shop (they will hide kids if they see a teacher coming and have been very rude to the DP when they have gone in looking for students).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

One of my kids no, there is no leaving campus for any years. The other kid, 2nd year and up can leave the school grounds. My preference is for them to stay in school

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

If anything happened, legally, who's responsible?

In my day... a few of us used to go to the local pub.... for a game of pool.... and a pint of Harp... and a smoke. But by then we were over 18 (well one of us was anyway, so technically he was in loco parentis).

I wouldn't imagine the school could be held legally responsible for anything that happens when a student is off campus unsupervised at lunchtime. How could they be? Doesn't make sense. The remit of the school ends at the school gate (obvious exception being school tours/trips but these are supervised, and have explicit parental permissions).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Our teachers used to go the pub for pool and pints but we never dared try it! i think its absolute madness in this day and age and just asking for hardship to be even entertaing it. someone said some students still go off school grounds even though its not allowed. Does there not be someone supervising yard at lunch? management would want to go in hard on kids skipping out to the shop if anything happened id say it would be carnage with insurance. even 6th years i think it would always be the 10% who would ruin it for everyone. id say its an awful job getting them back into class on time. better off do a few activites at lunch, or make lunch break just 35 mins max, go earlier in evening or on the half day.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

My daughter was allowed off school grounds from TY but only if I signed a permission slip. I think the signed permission slip takes case of any insurance issues that may arise.

We have more than one exit from the school, kids will hop walls or leave a few minutes before the teacher gets to the supervision points. Also, some parents will log into the app and register a doctors appointment at lunchtime for their child to go to the shop. It’s very hard to keep order when parents aren’t on our side.

• Advertisement

Jesus thats shocking that parents would do such a thing. Surely management should get on this big time, sounds a bit lawless. Whats wrong with the parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Is your middle name Karen by any chance? This really is a non issue IMHO, lots of schools allow it and I have no problem with it

Every student had to go home for lunch in the secondary school my daughter attended (Dublin). There was no option to remain in the school building for lunch. 300 students approx.

All the other local secondaries also allow students leave at lunchtime.

oh right just sounds a bit messy thats all.

Not a lot management can do! They can’t ring parents and say they know the doctors is shut for lunch.

Kids don’t like canteen food, don’t want to bring in their own… parents don’t want them to starve, it’s a simple solution.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Where I used to work there used to be an hour long lunchtime until we realised the last 20 minutes or so some students were being used to run deliveries for local 'pharmaceutical' sellers. We cut the lunch break to 35 minutes then. Some still made it home/out but no hanging around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

canteen or bringing own food are two fairly decent options though in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

No insurance issues arise if students go off campus, ie. no liability to school provided they have it written somewhere as a break time policy.

Each school devises its own policy, depending on its willingness to provide student services or do the lazy way.

In this day and age, schools should be doing better and be well able to provide a canteen with hot/healthy food or provide a decent place for kids to eat lunch. Good schools were able to do this fifteen years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

They have a canteen and can order lunches to be delivered from a local restaurant.

They normally went down town to get school supplies etc.

They went downtown to get "school supplies" ah here! now thats just taking the piss, what they dont have their maths copy in or dont have a ruler, o yeah head off down there and get them in the town shur no bother.

It sounds a few schools just pure lazy or cant manage thier staff for proper supervision, if theres a few routes out of school they should be fenced off, one or two ways in and out and teachers on thier posts within a few mins of break. jesus if were not where were supposed to be within 5 mins of class finshing we get a public stripping down in front of students! Kids down the town without permission would be internally suspended, 5 lunchtimes in a rowdetention and in until 3 pm on friday evening , usually gone at 1:15 on friday. It works no kid is bothered trying to leave because they know the penalty. might have 2 to 3 cases in a school year. they have a canteen lots of room to eat so no excuses. although some foods are banned from being brought in such as energy drinks and even crisps. the crisps are turned a blind eye to but BPM, Monster, red bull etc is banned and confiscated. its pure dirt anyway so i have no problem confiscating it.

none of the students seem to mind the rules and they know there are other schools in the town that might let them go down town not entirely sure but they always have the option of leaving if the rules are not to thier taste i suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Schools are not prisons. Our first and second years aren't allowed downtown, the rest are. So it's a privilege they look forward to when they get to third year. It means there's less chance the younger kids will get bullied by older kids. Also, we can't spend our lives mollycoddling them. 15 year olds should be able to walk to a shop a few hundred metres away and buy a sandwich and walk back to school.

Jesus.... judgemental much? Why are you so invested in this? What difference to you what lunchtime policies different schools have? There are lots of reasons for schools choosing different policies around this.

Ya I don't know (despite my own Harp Drinking in my day) I think you need to be very clear about how you release students in your care.

It could just take one parent who would - rightly- assume that a school was left in charge of the child when they were left to school in the morning. If an accident happened a school can't turn around and say "we can't be mollycoddling them, they should be able to walk to the shop at 15". Sure, any student can walk out the gates any time, but allowing them to do so every day is another matter.

Do the parents have to sign anything?

Sorry didnt mean to hit any nerves, just discussing a topic I was wondering about and looking to see what other schools did.

"It means there's less chance the younger kids will get bullied by older kids." Sorry i was kind of afraid to ask about this the last day in case I got my knuckles wrapped! But would you not think there must be a bit of a problem here if students are safer from bullying by being outside of the school rather than inside its boundaries at lunch time? Is this not a fairly alarming thought for a school management.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

The Christian Brothers back in the 80's would have loved this sort of acquiescence.

On a lighter note I remember in 5th class myself and two mates snuck out at lunchtime.

We went to the bar in the town and ordered three cokes and three plates of chips and took a seat.

Looked around and there was four teachers having "grown up" drinks!

Even as an eleven year old there was complicit nods of acceptance exchanged and we went down and dined most Fridays until we finished sixth class and after a few weeks there was even a few words exchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Local secondary allows kids down into the village at lunchtime and possibly between free classes as well (cannot confirm this specificilly). School is about 10 mins walk from a few shops.

Most secondary schools around the city (Galway) seem to have no issues with students around town at lunch but amn't entirely sure if it's all schools or the specifics.

In one way schools are way over crowded (generally) and a release valve of letting them outside the grounds at any time isn't a bad thing. Kids need to develop some independance also and I suppose it's part of that also.

When you sign the forms enrolling your child in a school, you are agreeing to their policies.

The onus is on the parents to ask any questions they have about those policies - lunchbreaks or anything else - before enrolling.

True that, but in absence of a policy can a school just decide to allow students out?

• Advertisement

I've never known a secondary school not to have a policy on this.

Advertisement