Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recruit prison officer 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Process22

Hey, has anyone bought the career services preparation course for stage one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

There doesn't seem to be as much interest in this year's RPO comp as in previous years.

Has anyone on here done the aptitude tests yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dub29

There doesn't seem to be as much interest on here anyway, unless people are just staying quiet about it. Havnt done the tests yet myself will do them before the weekend. I'd be interested to hear how people get on and what sort of format they were in. I'd imagine that the familiarisation material would be slightly easier than the actual tests? But I'm not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Stretch1432

I bought the Kilroys college one and it was not the same as the actual test . I just did the test there now . The numerical assesment was exremly hard in my opinion and i had been studying and getting grinds for it

Ye I did it and found the maths very hard to get a handle on .

• Advertisement

Usually there is a lot more people on here chatting about the assesments , hopefuly there isn't much applying for the competition . I did my test today the Vebal was tough but I managed to get through it but the maths was very hard . There was lots of detail in the question and it wasnt just simple multiplication and division. No way i passed . At the end i just started guessing the answers

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Swabber21

I did my tests today too. Numerical was definitely the hardest aspect. I found the numerical in this competition harder than the numerical in the Garda competition from this year. Definitely not as much interest in this campaign this year going off the amount of people in this thread, but that’s a good thing for us I suppose.

I've heard that they don't actually expect you to finish all the questions, its massive time pressure. As there is no negative marking, answering what you can correctly then guessing remaining questions is the way to go. Is the maths all charts like the familiarisation or are there long paragraphs with text and numbers in them? Hopefully you did enough, if they are that difficult then you'd imagine the pass rate may be quite low

Did you manage to finish both verbal and numerical in the time given?

• Advertisement

Its all long paragraphs with lots of info and then the numbers are all over the place its not like the way kilroy college prep questions like what percent of 150 is 30 or calculating vat on bills or like a and b share a price of 400 euro in the ratio 2:1 how much does a get ? these questions were very straightforward. In the actual test there was a lot of information and figures and I just wasnt prepared for it , a disaster very very hard.

It is a good thing but isnt there a certain score you need to get to go onto the next stage . It wont matter how many people are going for it if you dont get the minimum score

I finished the verbal and didn’t find it too bad tbh, I answered 19 of the 21 numerical and ran out of time.

Yes, going by what the information booklet said the people with the highest score will be placed on highest oom and it also mentioned that there’s no guarantee that everyone who passed will be brought forward to stage 2. It also mentioned that oom is calculated using scores from verbal and assessment questionnaire meaning that we only have to pass the numerical and it doesn’t contribute to our oom

Don't like the sound of that! Sounds very tough! Especially if you were preparing for a different format of questions. Could be put off straight away

I wouldnt say i passed the numerical and the annoying is i put so much effort into it , also the way the questions were asked completely threw me . Id say il have to go apply again next year and just prepare better . Maybe the career services preparation is better but the kilroys college prep i would not recommend to anyone .

That's very good going then. If you managed to get the majority of the 19 right then you should be safe enough

I used the career services one and studied it almost daily over a month and did all the numerical tests and scored over 90% in most and found the actual test a millions times harder! Definitely wouldn’t recommend career services. Although career services had numerous different layouts to numerical test none was similar to the actual one and also like you said the layout of the questions with multiple different sets of numerbers in each passage throws you off big time. All we can do it hope for the best. We will probably be waiting a good while to hear back with results

Ok thats good to know . Its my first time applying for rpo i was in the guards for a few years but wasnt for me . Have to say i found the Garda aptitude tests way easier . Ye lets just hope for the best

Does anyone know if they have released the figures of how many people applied for prison service this year? They always seem to say the amount of people that apply for Garda or NAS competitions

• Advertisement

It was realeased for ags 2022 recruitment and over 11000 people applied, However it was not relesed for the prison service.

There was 21 questions in the numerical reasoning , would anyone know how many questions is needed to pass ? Would be a 40 or 50% pass ?

Not sure on this but obviously there has to be a certain amount that progress to stage 2. Judging by the difficulty level I'd guess the pass mark would be quite low. Either that or they havnt set the pass mark yet and maybe wait on all results and get an average and set the pass mark somewhere in the middle. This is just speculation, I just cant see how they would expect massive scores in numerical when they set the questions like that.

For AGS the pass mark was 34 but that did not say if it’s 34% but presumably it is. Very hard to tell but like the person above said it’s probably get the average score and set the pass mark a bit below that, again all speculation unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭timmy2772

Well lads how did ye get on in yer psychometric tests ?...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭timmy2772

Hey there Stretch. I did it in 2020 and yeah was tough then. I'd say you will be grand and pass it allright

Are you still going from the 2020 campaign then, as in still on a panel? As far as I know the format was different this year in comparison with the last few recruitment drives.

I found the numerical to be less difficult than expected. And for this reason I couldn't concentrate on each question because I was expecting the next set to be more difficult. I went with career services, and while their initial material wasnt anything like the actual tests to begin with, they did sent extra material when the familiarisation was released. This extra material was very like the actual tests, and some of them were even harder than the actual test. If you had practise at answering some of these then the test would be less daunting. Having said that, it still took alot of time to figure out what they were asking for and where the info was. I'd be impressed by the people who answered more than half correctly without guessing a few. And cant imagine anyone answered every question. But I could be wrong

• Advertisement

So are you saying some of the career services questions were similar??

The original package wasnt. But when the familiarisation material was released career services sent out extra practice questions. These extra questions were very similar to the actual test.

I was just looking at the Garda 2022 thread and they were saying the numerical reasoning was crazy hard too and one of them said they maths and science in collage and couldn't understand it and then they got their results and lots passed so maybe the pass score is low I think ours is 34 to pass.

If I was any good at maths I'd be able to calculate how many questions we needed to answer right to score 34 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 24 laurak24100

I done it for the guards aswell and the maths but I did brutal and still passed by a good bit so if it’s the same I doubt they are strict

Ok and did you answer all the questions in the time ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 laurak24100

Yep! I was running out of time so some were guesses but majority I worked out in the time

Hopefully we get our results this week

Hopefully but usually it takes few months

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rafaelsimao

I'm glad to know that I'm not alone on this journey. This test was the biggest handicap I've ever faced. to be honest english is not my first language, i had a lot of difficulties reading quickly to understand what they wrote and find the right answer

I speak English and I felt very handicapped after the test 😂😂. The Math was extremely difficult . The verbal wasn't so bad . Hopefully they are recruiting next year too. Get another chance at it .

• Advertisement

Going to be 4-6 weeks until results are issued. A bit ridiculous if you ask me, don't understand why it should take that long

It's always the way , it's a very long process, usually takes between 1-2 years to get in . Another couple of hundred will be retired by the time this is done.

For the guards its usually quicker or not? For stage one results?

Is there still people on a panel from the 2020 campaign does anyone know?

Guards takes along time too, only heard people complaining about it on an news article . They were saying that basically they are only replacing the numbers retiring and resigning . I'm not sure about the 2020 panel.

Does anyone know if there’s a group currently in the prison officer college? They plan on having 144 new recruits for prison service by end of 2022 but this is surely unrealistic with the pace that they go through stages at. Anyone know what stage 2 involves again? Can’t seem to find the 2022 information booklet online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭weadick

Apparently they are crying out for staff and there was a slower than expected response to this recruitment competition. Hopefully this might mean this competition is moved along quicker than previous years. I still wouldn't be holding my breath though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Process22

The wait for results from PAS is ridiculous, we will probably be waiting another week or two for results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mochua96

I do you know at the minute there is a group of recruits (about 20/30) in training at the Irish Prison Service Training College, they were out doing a walk around the prison about 3/4 months ago, and that there is another ground waiting to go in afterwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭weadick

Results are out, much quicker than I thought. Top 100 for me, delighted. Hope the rest of ye got on well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement