Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quantum leap revival/reboot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

At first I thought she looked like Ivana Milicevic from Banshee crossed with Jennifer Carpenter from Dexter.

I'll keep watching for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That was not so bad. I had expected it would be a lot worse. I will admit at the beginning I was thinking This looks terrible and so cheap but it gradually improved the chase was funny and not badly done and for once I agree there should be a whole team of people at the base and it's nice we get to see them involved too. In the original that was rare enough it was mostly just Sam and Al as well as the people at wherever Sam was. I thought it was a nice easy going episode to ease us in to this new series. I am really looking forward to the next episode if that ending is it. I wonder will they mix it up a bit like the Original did and maybe have some episodes where you see him leap into someone or some place but it's not the next direct episode maybe it's a few episodes later or even not at all?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Other articles suggested Bakula was approached to act in the reboot in fact he has confirmed this but declined the offer, rightly imho.….

probably for the best… his chemistry with Dean Stockwell was class….

Just thinking that the problem with having the team is the fact they'll need to get screentime. When we have a new story every week it means a new cast of characters we need time to get to know and see Ben get to know to care about them. But if spending time in the present it means less time away from the new characters. This week I guess you could say they went the quick route to get a reaction by introducing a wife with cancer and a kid.

Ms

Yes that's a good point. Hopefully they can even it out or at least give more time to where Ben is than to those back at the Quantum Leap base.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Having watched it , my fear is that by trying to have a future story thread and Ben in the past Story thread, the mystery behind why Ben jumped will be needlessly drawn out and with only half the screen time, Ben's adventures in the past will be overly simple affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,699 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So if Sam is still alive and jumping then 2022 would still be in his own lifetime.

How about Sam jumped into Ben and the only way to save Ben is to return home.

Actually that wouldn't work as neither junper has left a phyiscal body to leap back into

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Absolutely horrific! Watched first episode and that was enough.

What the hell has happened that Television has become so bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Haven't watched this yet but....

Be careful of Rose-tinted glasses. While QL had some fun episodes, TV in general, was not good. Sure, everyone remembers shows like Hill Street Blues and NYPD Blue but seriously. You should try to watch The A-Team or Knight Rider or MaGyver etc. They are NOT good, Cheaply made, poorly written and acted, repetitive, no character depth or progression (As shows were, in general, episodic. Each episode limited to "baddie-of-the-week"). There was no "Breaking Bad" or "Better Call Saul" on mainstream TV. HBO was around in the US but you had no shows with the production values of Game of Thrones or the Marvel/Star Wars series on D+.

You had series of 26 episodes per season (Serious quantity over quality) where nothing progressed (Outside of OTT American soaps - Bobby in the shower. Someone getting beamed up by aliens). Detective show after detective show after detective show.... Jessica Fletcher's never-ending procession of friends/family being incorrectly accused of murder. The obligatory shed that the A-team get locked up into. Every series had an episode where they went back to 'Nam to rescue a POW buddy.

So basically TV was dross then. Simply terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Well said. 🙂

A lot of the TV we loved in the 80s hasn't aged well at all.

• Advertisement

Hill Street Blues & Homicide Life on the Street were two shows in the 80's and 90's on main stream free TV that blow the likes of Breaking Bad & Better Call Saul as you mention out of the water for story telling and character development and still hold up now 30+ years later and you wouldn't have the HBO, Showtime, AMC, Netflix, Apple etc etc shows or anything else we call great TV now without them so to say TV was dross then is completely wrong.

St Elsewhere another show on free TV that also deserves as much credit as any show you can name in the last 25 years for progressive and ground breaking story telling.

I'd also add in Michael Mann's Crime Story in there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Don't want to start messing around with VPNs so is this available on any of the streaming services in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭homingbird

Its total rubbish the crossdresser doesnt work for me in it to many characters just feels like another cheap show.

Post edited by homingbird on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Why are you posting links to pirate copies?

Post edited by fritzelly on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭homingbird

Fixed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Got around to watching the first episode and it was everything the trailers promised it would be, low production values and poor writing. The acting was fine to be fair. I won't be rushing to keep up with this due to many other shows on my watch list but I may come back to it if there is a lull in better shows to watch

That is the same actress that played Al’s wife in the original series.

I’m guessing that’s the diner where Sam is hanging out with God.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,432 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

RT is 47%/43%, seems like consensus that its not great. Seems like NBC wanted Bakula for a memberberries role but he wasnt having it. Cobra Kai is the only show I can think of that has done it right with how they treated the original characters.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

If it lasts anyway beyond its initial order expect to see it show up on Sky or Peacock at some stage, I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I like it. Enjoyed episode 2 too.

• Advertisement

That was a far better episode, my hopes are picking up for the show

I hope for their sake they had the hard drive hooked up to a computer that was off the network.

Was anyone else thinking that it was a really risky time for Ben to leap? Like David's going to be back in his body, in space at Mir and not hanging on to anything. And seems they don't have a waiting room.

Maybe it was just the characters he's been playing lately but Ernie Hudson's looking better than previous times I've seen him. Seems in better form than Dan Aykroyd and Bill Murray.

Why wouldn't there be a waiting room so they know exactly what they are going back to?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I think your falling into a trap you are telling the other poster to not fall into. Back in the 80s and 90s we know what those shows were but we watched them as escapism leave youe thinking cap at the door and they were great. I have gone back and watched the a team, macgyver, Knight rider and they are exactly as I remember and if I want a day of on the sofa not thinking they are great.

Also don't forget these shows and other are the forefathers (for want of a better word) to what we have today I include all those detective shows. Give me street's of San Francisco murder she wrote and Colombo for a great nostalgic.

Without them and what came inbetween youvmay never had. breaking bad or better call Saul. I wonder in 30 to 40 years will someone call them everything you said of 80 shows on a social media site

The reason I assume there's no waiting room is they keep relying on Ziggy to find him instead of just seeing who's in the waiting room.

Like in the final episode of the original series Al said there was no one in the waiting room which was part of the reason they had trouble locating Sam.

Also would assume they would've mentioned it by now. Though I'm surprised no one has mentioned what happens the body's owner. Maybe a future episode will address it.

I guess one possibility for not just asking who they are is that they may pass out or have temporary amnesia. And since they are in Ben's body, they can't just work off their appearance.

Ms

Just watched the 2nd episode. It was good. Knew I was going to like that and it lived up to it. What a leap unto the Space Shuttle and getting to do a space walk too. So cool.

I loved the bit at the end too. That was very cool. I think they are doing a good job so far.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

You should try to watch The A-Team or Knight Rider or MaGyver etc.

The A-Team is brilliant. Knight Rider I agree is terrible in so many ways but I still love it and classic Mcyver us brilliant unlike the new one which is just terrible. It could have been any show but they just stuck Mcyver it to be lazy. A bit like how that sci-fi show "Discovery" tries to pretend to belong to a certain franchise but it does not. It could be any boring crappy sci-fi show might as well have been called Discovery The Micheal Burnham show.

How do you even know if he/she or they are that? They could simply be Non-Binary which I think they might be.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Well it pays to have an antivirus programme! Turns out there's a VPN thing as part of the Norton package which came with my laptop. Quick switch on, sign up for Peacock (no credit card details needed) and next thing I know I'm watching episode 1. And have to say I really enjoyed it. Now to work out how to access the other episodes...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

No I think the idea of God/higher power being involved came up in one of the early seasons. I think it was talked about between Sam and Al a couple of times and then the “evil leapers” were introduced with the idea that a dark power was behind them .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Any word yet on who is getting rights to this show here?

Advertisement