Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Johnny has a commerce degree from his time with UCD and hopes to work with a glass and metal product producer when he hangs up his boots.

"I’m doing a bit of work experience at the moment with a great company and doing one day a week trying to prepare myself for life after rugby," he said.

"I’ve been up there learning from their people and it’s very impressive," he added.

(Speaking on Ray D'arcy show)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭ersatz

It's always been the case that when Leinster are at their most successful they have imported beasts in the BR: Elsom, Thorn, Hines and Fardy being the notables in the teams European successes. Leinster fans often claim Thorn played very few games, but he played the big ones and helped win them. 1 European cup isn't a great record for Lancaster given the resources at his disposal and it's a fact that they've come up short in the same department in the competition time and again. I pointed out early in the season last year that too many of the teams tries were coming from pick and gos from the 5 and that a more expansive attack would be necessary to succeed in Europe. At the time I didn't think it would cost them the league too but such is life. I hope Jenkins can deliver but overall it's a disappointment that they haven't recruited the kinds of players who feature in every European cup winning team. It's arguable that they failed to replace SOB too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Not sure you can blame Leinster for their recruitment. When pretty much every player is an Irish international, any top-drawer signing we make is going to take game time away from an Irish player and IRFU can't allow that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Much stronger side than I was expecting. Glad to see Frawley getting a start over Ross Byrne as well.

15. Jimmy O’Brien (53)

14. Jordan Larmour (74)

13. Garry Ringrose (102) CAPTAIN

12. Robbie Henshaw (68)

11. Dave Kearney (174)

10. Ciarán Frawley (57)

9. Luke McGrath (176)

1. Andrew Porter (91)

2. Dan Sheehan (29)

3. Michael Ala’alatoa (26)

4. Jason Jenkins (1)

5. James Ryan (58)

6. Ryan Baird (38)

7. Josh van der Flier (114)

8. Caelan Doris (55)

16. Rónan Kelleher (37)

17. Ed Byrne (86)

18. Cian Healy (249)

19. Ross Molony (140)

20. Will Connors (26)

21. Cormac Foley (5)

22. Ross Byrne (129)

23. Charlie Ngatai (1)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I guess we're seeing Baird moving from lock to backrow. Leinster have been selecting him more often than not and Farrell seems to see that as his position in green too.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,620 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Frawley over R Byrne

thats a huge statement from leinster !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Didn't even register that Healy is back at sub tighthead.

I thought the experiment went reasonably well last season before it was scrapped.

I'd love to see him as a viable option at TH

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

May just be a reflection that Frawley is about to miss the next 2 or 3 games.

Still, with that pack, he should get a nice platform to show what he can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Great to see Frawley get a go at 10. He hasn't played there much in the last 2 years, so we shouldn't expect perfection. But I think he'll go well. The fact that Ross was fit and available makes in even more intersting. Hopefully he gets a dry evening behind a pack on the front foot so he can really show what he can do.

It's a very strong selection though. I love the makeup of the back 5 of the pack. Great balance of power and mobility.

Not sure how I feel about Healy covering TH though. Doesn't reflect well on Clarkson or Abdaladze if Healy is being picked out of position ahead of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Apparently he is working one day a week for some glass and metal production company. He will go full time there when he finishes playing.

The talk of only one Champions Cup under Leo and Lancaster is very odd. It smacks of some misguided sense of privilege.

Since they have been in charge. We have won it once, been beaten finalists twice, beaten semi finalists twice and only failed to qualify for the semis once. That is an amazing level of consistency. That teams with much bigger budgets and resources would envy.

You would think we had some sort of god given right to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

What's the story with HB? Is he out injured again?

Frawley at 10 could go well! Or it could be a disaster! Either way, it's worth a look.

Healy at th! Not very inspiring. I'd have given Clarkson the shot! Healy is not a th.

Baird at 6! Could be the saving of his career. He's not rated as highly as he was previously. He's not a top level lock and the hype was overblown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Lancaster leaving ! Not unexpected! If he does, best of luck to him. He did well for Leinster.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,620 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i think the bookies -34 to leinster is mental.

id expect a good win, but Benetton are no slouches these days. theyre always good for a try or 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Nobody is saying we should win it every year. And of course we don't have a god given right to win it. Nobody is suggesting otherwise.

But two things can be true at once. And 1 H Cup in 6 years is fairly underwhelming no matter how you spin it. Particularly when you consider Leinster have had the bulk of the Ireland team for all of that time.

That record, along with 0 Championships in 4 years with England, as well as failing to get out of the group at RWC 2015, points to Lancaster being a slightly overrated coach IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I think he'll be a loss. But provided we get the replacement right, I don't think he'll be as big a loss as everyone thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well I've read some bollox in my life but that takes the biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

1 european cup with the current squad isnt a great return.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Its far too late for Healy to move to TH. He's able to do less and less around the pitch last season. He tends to go backwards in contact in spite of his size and he's usually a wasted phase as he doesn't make ground. Solid in defense but lack of mobility means he's only ever tackling people running straight at him in the tight.

Fantastic servant for Ireland and leinster and if they did this move 5 years ago, I'd say it's a great idea. This should be Healy's wind-down year where he's only called on for special occasions to lock out a scrum in the last 15 mins of a game.

I know he'll almost certainly travel to the WC as sub loose head and I think it's a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

The actual answer is it's exceptionally difficult to win a European Cup. If you look at the teams that have sustained success, even over a short period of time, they have been teams comprising many of the best players to ever play the game, assembled at exorbitant costs that in some cases (i.e. Saracens), were way beyond what they were even allowed to spend (and let's be honest, probably Toulon almost certainly cooked the books too, they just got away with it). Once the money dried up, so did their success.

Our return of three finals over the past five seasons is exceptional. Only seven teams have managed that many final appearances in the 27 year history of the competition. Granted, we should have won in Marseille, it was entirely our own mistakes that undid us there, but a coach can only do so much. If a player makes a bad decision in the moment and it costs you the game, well, you can't control that from the stands.

And that's without mentioning our unprecedented success at a domestic level — four in a row. Nobody else has managed two in a row. It's a level of consistency that has been unheard of to this point. And the depth that has been built. Famously when the South African teams joined the league and were asked about the best teams, the answer was, "The best team is Leinster, the second best team is Leinster A".

Lancaster has had a hand in re-imagining Leinster at almost every level, helping to build a province that has never seen so much success in such a short space of time. 7 major finals in 5 seasons, winning 5 of them. Don't buy into the sad and bitter narrative that our literally unprecedented levels of success can somehow be branded as an underachievement.

• Advertisement

I hear MOC is looking for a job. Could be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

His best chance in the international squad for the World Cup is as a selected 5.5 imo.

Cover lock and 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Will there be such a player in the squad? With the squad size increase I can see them taking 10 locks/backrowers rather than 9, which lessens the need for versatility.

It looks as if he's behind Treadwell and McCarthy at second row, so he might need to beat out Prendergast for a blindside slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I think people's perceptions of Lancaster might be being coloured by how dominant they usually look an the regular season. Don't get me wrong; that's good and all, but at the end of the day you have to win the title.

He's done great work developing a large squad of capable players. You don't want to take that for granted.

I suppose how well his successor does will be useful extra information in assessing his tenure.

You don't give a stopgap that kind of a platform. Not enough of a sample size from a selection point of view to generalise as to pecking order but if Frawley is the heir apparent to Sexton in a few months time this will be the team sheet that first implied it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

No, you don't have to win the title to do an excellent job. Only one team can win a title. Does that mean every other team didn't do their best or didn't get the best they can reasonably expect from their team?

I can't stand this English football attitude that you either win the tournament or it was a complete failure.

Leinster has been a massive success for over a decade. They did it without breaking the bank and without being a flash in the pan. Their plan is sustainable and they're developing new players at a fantastic rate. That is success.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Will there be such a player in the squad? With the squad size increase I can see them taking 10 locks/backrowers rather than 9, which lessens the need for versatility.

Beirne, anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'm not sure if there will be a 5.5. There could be and the flexibility might swing an otherwise tight selection decision.

I see a 33 man squad as

9 front row

4 locks (one of which can cover backrow)

5 backrow

3 sh

3 oh (One of which can cover somewhere else)

4 centres

5 back 3

I could certainly see an argument for one less outside back and an extra back row though. Especially if the 3rd OH is decent cover at wherever he is covering or a wing can cover centre or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

In theory a 3rd choice outhalf like Frawley that can cover centre is a good choice to travel. Whereas it doesn’t matter if the first two choices cover centre as it’s extremely unlikely that either would be needed outside of an extreme emergency, that said I think sometimes the versatility thing gets a bit over blown, a back row that can cover second row against the poorer teams is handy but I’m not sure many players will get the nod just for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭redmca2

Fancy naming the best imports without mentioning the best of them all Nasewa !!!

Advertisement