Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Improvers Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,447 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Seems to have been a bit of a triggering comment, but I never said that what works for one needs to work for all.

But on forums like these you see so many posts about taking X amount of grams at Y intervals that people reading would be forgiven for thinking that it was the be all and end all. I know when I was a beginner that I certainly read these forums and so took it as accepted wisdom that the nutrition needed to be perfect or I would be in trouble.

It doesn't have to be, some people don't need the half of it and don't need to let it worry them so much, so I won't apologise for offering a counterpoint that may well resonate with somebody else, even if a few think it heresy.

I am a little amused though that 3 scoops of tailwind in a bottle is considered comparable to the regimes some others have listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Unknownability

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

Debate is always good and I think we're in agreement, it's specific to the individual.

You're last point is just plain wrong though, 3 scoops of tailwind is 81 grams of carbs, which is more than 3 gels. Add a sports drink to the mix and that's another 30 grams, so you're consuming 4 to 5 gels worth.

I do take more as I don't eat the morning of the race, so definitely need the extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Wow excellent progress, that’s really impressive.

Where did you get your sweat test done? I went I a guy in Kilkenny. Really helped me also understand what I need to take in to replace what i was losing as it turns out at an excessive rate.

Good luck in Amsterdam.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Good piece on hydration here if anyone is interested. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/apr/18/how-much-water-drink-marathon

• I tried the squeeze the top of the cup method for the first time at the HM on Saturday and it worked a treat. It was a disaster at he FD10 with water going everywhere trying to drink normally. I was surprised how it was just like drinking from a bottle with the squeeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭event

Having a bad week this week. Got out for 6 miles Monday and nothing since. Just work/life balance been tough this week. Planning to get about 8/9 miles this evening and the same tomorrow, then 22 miles on Saturday and maybe 3 or 4 on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

I get your point that overly technical info or advice can bamboozle beginners, and is sometimes counter productive.

This is a thread for experienced marathoners though. It's why you'll sometimes see the same people offer simpler advice on the novice thread.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

In terms of nutrition you only need to decide how much carbs per hour you want to consume, train your body to consume that amount and execute that strategy on the day, it doesn't have to be overly complicated.

50g per hour is a gel every 30 mins for example. Figure out what you can tolerate in training and go from there. 30g per hour you could get away with 1 gel every 45 mins- 1 hour.

Key is to practice in training I guess.

https://www.mysportscience.com/post/how-to-fuel-for-a-marathon

• Advertisement

Road tested the Endorphin Pro3 this morn on a 10m.

Long run effort which is 30 -55 secs (km) slower than MP. Been running them 40 secs slower at 130bpm. 5:26km

This morning was 5:14 at 128bpm. They felt amazing, the run felt effortless. Weird at first, especially with the slippy wet road but I quickly adapted to them. At one point I came over a steep canal bridge to turn right and struggled with the downhill, struggled steering right. An unusual situation though I suppose.

Mad, for a split second, after looking out the window at 5:50am at the torrential rain I considered ditching them until Saturday. Can't be getting these 250 blip shoes destroyed in the rain. Quickly snapped out of it though. They're tools. They're gonna get wet ye gannet.

Love them.

I feel the shoe shape, that high cushion heel really suits me. Might look at non carbon plate versions for training.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

I'm still in awe that you got up to run it at 6am! Don't think I've had one run before 9 this training block. Looks like a great shoe (especially in pink).

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MooShop

Best of luck in Amsterdam. May I ask how long it has taken you to improve for circa 4 hours to targeting 3:10?

Yeah, the pink colour is pretty cool I think.

Ah the morning runs, yeah, if I don't get out before work I simply don't run. Unless it's <5 mile and I can get it done at lunchtime. Anything longer than that must be early morning.

Well used to it now though, and love it. Although the pitch dark country road this morning with invisible puddles was a pain. Didn't think of the head torch.

My new Vaporflies just arrived, think I'll still wait for the rain to pass 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Anyone like coffee? Anyone get a bump from caffeine gels? I do :-) I heard someone recently recommend giving up the old coffee and tea for a week or ten days before the marathon to help during the 22-26 mile phase. By all account the boost from the caffeine gel or tablet after the period of abstinence is longer lasting and more noticeable and can significantly assist during the dreaded last few miles. What do you guys think, is it waffle? I am not sure I could give up the coffee of tea for a week though.

On the subject of hydration (don't read any further if your bored of the debate)

I've carried water on all my Marathon distance runs, a single 250ml soft bottle which I drink from if I'm thirsty or when I'm not sure were the next water stop is(during races). I usually fill it up again if I pass an early station and can grab a bottle, if its plastic cups I don't bother. In the Dublin marathon of 2019 it was exceptionally good luck as some of the latter stations I passed had no water.

I would be in the drink water if want to camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Got a pair of Endorphin Pros myself the other day. I'd planned on taking them out for a marathon pace session today but I couldn't do it to them. 😂 Hoping to keep them looking fresh for Amsterdam.

I've heard that caffeine thing too. Apparently you won't get much benefit from the caffeine gels unless you give it up for a week or two in advance. I enjoy my coffee far too much to test it out.

Same colour I got. Great shoe.

I do think the Vaporflys are slightly faster though, or at least the effort is less at the same pace,be interested to hear from those who have ran in both also for their thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I couldn’t give up my coffee long enough to test that theory! Well wear with all the new runners. I’ve the Endorphin Speed 2’s, Hoka Rocket X, Vaporflies and Alphaflies to choose from 🙈. My ankles seem to cope better with the first two pairs even though the alphas are by far the fastest shoe.

My Decathlon belt arrived earlier too. Anybody know what all the little loops with plastic things hanging off it are for?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Unknownability

These arrived today, looking forward to breaking them in and using them in Chicago.

I hooked my key around that K. I'd say there's a chance of losing it otherwise pulling stuff out.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

I had the same experience as well, one of them actually fell out of the belt at one stage and I had to do a u turn to pick it up.

Was concerned about that for the marathon but I know that, even with my best intentions and they cost 10 euro each, I'll probably throw them away during the race!

Probably a size too big. Been using one for a long time and never had a bottle fall even with strides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Is there much of a difference between the Endorphin Pro 2s and 3s?

There is. The 1 and 2 are pretty similar but the 3 is noticeably more cushioned and has a wider, more stable base. The upper is quite different too. I haven't run in the 3s yet so can't comment on the performance. Reviews suggest it's a major improvement.

• Advertisement

According to the run testers, a big yes, one went as far to say it should have been called sth else, they do love the 3 though.

All the shoes above look great, nice buzz going in here.

Who's up first?

Advertisement