Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Gusser09

If we get relegated itll be a long hard winter. Probably the end for SK too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Winter is coming.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ukraine did not get a shot on target v Scotland. The visitors held out for a long time though.

It was amusing and refreshing to hear a co-commentator so unashamedly biased that he screams ‘yeeeeess’ and roars when their team scores. Like that Scottish fella.

Maybe Ronnie Whelan should try it might cheer him up a bit!?

Seems from Steve Clarke’s post match he is fired up to avenge the defeat v Ireland.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

This thread is well worth a read for anyone interested in exactly how our NL finishing position will affect play-offs and seeding for Euro2024...

I'll be more positive when we can consistently put wins together. Hopefully we can continue where we left off and win our last 2 games. A draw and a win is the minimum though. Anything less than that and i fear the Kenny era will be doomed for the next qualifying campaign. Am i wrong? Should i be optimistic if we dont deliver the required results going forward?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Scotland are likely to come into Saturdays game now over confident. They battered Ukraine, are at home, and know a win will help seal top spot. Hopefully like in June when people were tipping them to beat Ukraine they bottle things again.

Would even be in two minds about retaining Browne over Doherty given Doherty's lack of match sharpness. Don't think we can afford anyone that's not gonna get stuck in. Doherty keeps himself in great shape but hasn't played a proper game in months. You worry that it might take him a bit to grow into the game whereas you want lads giving it all from the second the game starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I would take a draw, plus think that will be the likely result.

On paper the two teams are well met I think. You are are right about wanting fellas properly fit. It will probably be 90 miles an hour stuff.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I'd also settle for a draw. But beating Armenia is a must in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭deisedude

I wouldn't underestimate the mental fatigue Ukraine players are facing. Hearing 300K more Russian troops are being sent to war on the day of the Scotland game. That has to really mess with your head.

I would take that Scotland performance with a pinch of salt and see if they can back it up

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭BobDole22

Scotland are nothing to be afraid of no reason why we can't win both these games but beating Armenia is a must if we fail against them again Kenny will be under pressure.

It's why I wouldn't consider Hendrick to start because he's not gonna get stuck in like Molumby, Knight, Cullen, or Browne will. Can't afford any passengers.

One concern would be if we don't bring the same intensity we did back in June or get an early goal they'll have a loud crowd behind them pushing them on. We've seen it with our lads at home how a passionate crowd that lift you up an extra level.

They had a ton of shots but their goals looked soft enough. Next week McGinns goal probably gets ruled out for pushing the player from behind and even looked like the ref was about to blow for a free We're also not given away two set piece goals like that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Not looking good for us. We really need to beat Scotland if we want to have a chance of a playoff, am I correct? What are the odds of us getting a playoff if we finish in 3rd place? I assumed it would be like the last time but forgot the leagues have expanded.

Not only might we miss out on a playoff, but there is a chance we could end up in a group with say Belgium and France as top two seeds.

• Advertisement

Frances win last night now sees them move back into pot one seedings but they're not safe yet. If England fail to win tonight and Germany avoid defeat to Hungary then England will finish bottom of their group.

There's also the possibility that they finish as the worst third placed team who'll also be in pot 2. England beat Italy and there's a chance Italy end up in pot 2 if they fail to beat Hungary in their final game.

Massive game tonight for the 21s as they look to qualify for the finals. Hard to predict what XI Crawford goes with but would love to see him go with an attacking line up especially the midfield trio. Israel will likely be well organised and try pick us off on the counter.

Going into the second leg with a win will be massive for us. Pity we'll likely have to watch it on a stream but tonights game is live on RTE 2 rather than the news channel thank god. Hopefully they haven't made a balls of the ticketing system and we see another half empty stadium again.

Yeh huge game tonight. The more I think about it I'd have liked to see him pick the best 11 u21 eligible players available to us. And yes that includes Troy, Gavin, Michael Obafemi, Nathan Collins and Jayson Knight. Idah and Omabamdiele aren't available obviously but are eligible . It's not often we qualify for these things so it's important. We need to nurture a culture of success in my opinion. I know that would weaken the senior team but it's well worth it.

Imagine an u21 side like this at next years championships

GK: Bazunu

CB: Omabamdiele

CB: Collins

RB: O'Connor

LB: Bagan

CM: Knight

CM: Smallbone

CM: Coventry

FW: Parrott

FW: Obafemi

Look at the bench then. Idah, Connolly and Evan Ferguson are standout names. McGuinness and Cashin two solid defenders.

If we qualify I think we send out our best players.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2024_qualifying#Draw

Updates regularly with who'll be seeded in what pots for the qualifiers. As things stand Belgium, Croatia, Denmark, and Netherlands will be top seeds.

Czech Republic, Hungary, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Austria, England, France, and Poland are teams that can either end up in pot 1 or 2 still.

Wales will be pot 2 for the draw and all teams in League B bar Sweden can still potentially make it to pot 2 as it stands. Sweden are the only confirmed team for pot 3.

Strongly disagree that would be absolutely terrible for squad harmony the lads who got us there should play there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

But I don't really think that's a good long term policy though. If it were amateur I'd agree but these lads are all professional. You go with the best possible squad available to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,172 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Either way it's a great sign that we might qualify what the players playing and also have a bunch of u21s playing senior.

I certainly fell a lot better about the national team now than any time over the last 7/8 years

You go with the best possible squad available to you kinda contradicts your point when you're talking about weakening the senior squad by demoting players there on merit to strengthen another squad.

So the U21s have technically went with the best squad available to them because the lads in the seniors are unavailable because they're needed for the senior squad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You could say the same for teams that get promoted to the EPL but most of them end up sold or relegated to the bench

Not really a valid comparison everyone knows on promotion to PL you have to sign PL standard players what we're talking about here is taking lads who have already progressed to senior starters and bringing them back to U21 to take spots off lads who got the team there in the first place. It would destroy squad harmony.

No it doesn't. Not at all. If we qualify you go with the best squad available. The seniors in reality, no matter how hard it is for some to take, have little to play for. Realistically the best we can hope for is 3rd in my opinion.We lost to Armenia which was the killer really. Even taking out the u21s we should be capable of beating Armenia but who knows.

Look it would be great and do wonders for football in the country if we had a tournament to look forward too, Not only that but the team and squad I put forward would be more than able to compete. I'd also argue that it doesn't overly weaken the seniors. Travers would do a decent job covering for Gavin. We have decent cover for collins also and Knight. I'd perhaps leave Michael with the senior because he's a little contrary.

The harsh reality of football is that the best players should get picked for such a massive game tonight. And again the best players should be picked if we do qualify.

I'd prefer to see the 21's reach the tournament than see us finish second in the Nations League.

Joe Hodge starts in midfield with Evan Ferguson leading the line. Gonna be Hodges first game at underage level since the 2019 euros I think. So interesting to see how he gets on at this level but was very good for the U19s playing two years above his age group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Few gambles in there. That final trio of Smallbone, Connolly and Ferguson will surely cause problems for the Israeli defence. Not so sure about the other end of the pitch.

21s are a development squad.

If fellas are good enough for senior then I think it's best to give the development team places to developing players.

• Advertisement

If he's actually gone 352 it's gonna be interesting to see a front two of Ferguson and Connolly. Think they'd complement each other nicely. Wright over Lyons would be a big call though with the latter playing so well from LWB at club level but Crawford does like Wright.

I think with the potential squad we could bring to a tournament we could won it.

There is no point developing some of the lads there who look like they will probably end up as League 1 or 2 players anyway. Developing a winning mentality is huge. Its a culture.

Mad that we could potentially win something or do exceptionally well and we wouldnt give it a go.

Jim crawford should have been screaming for the like of bazunu etc to be made available.

Demanding Kenny not pick his no.1 keeper for the senior team 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭trashcan

Delighted to see Joe Redmond starting. He’s having a great season for Pats.

A lot of countries are probably saying if they brought x or y to the 21s they could win. There is a reason they don't.

Developing a 'winning mentality" with the likes of Bazunu and the lads does fk all really. Being on the senior team and being in the City academy done so so much more.

Better we give other lads a chance in the shop window or we end up like we did when the Keane/Duff golden generation finished up.

Its a valid argument for sure breezy. Id imagine germany, england, italy, spain etc arent overly bothered with it. Also its not the same comparison. Those top teams will draw players from the top divisons. Something we wont be able to do. I get what your saying though. But its silly not to bring our possible best 11.

Ferguson poor enough so far. Doesnt look sharp. Connolly looks lively Unlucky not to score with the shot off the post.

• Advertisement

Yeah, some of his passes and lay offs have been wayward. A bit casual looking really. Agree about Connolly too, his attitude seems good.

Hes atrocious in fact. Is he naturally that slow or just tired or something i wonder.

Redmond would comfortably play at a higher level.

Shut up 😀. Joe Hodge has impressed me. Working hard, good on the ball, and his passing is quick and incisive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Against the run of play but what was the keeper at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Just about to type that the Irish Keeper is a bit dodgy and we concede

Have to try and raise it now

• Advertisement

The bloody goalie. Hes much to small anyway but thats dreadful stuff. He looks about 5'9 or 5'10 at a push.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Such a poor goal to concede.

Changes needed. Joe hodge playing better than coventry who has been invisible. Ferguson offering nothing. Wright poor too. Connolly started really well but has gone quiet. We'll need a draw at least.

We'll regret not taking one of them chances in the first half. Spain advanced from the 2017 play offs thanks to away goals so chances are they still count. Feel like Israel will sit back now and look to counter in the second half.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement