Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

I hate to go on about this but Ive started so Ill finish. This is exactly the kind of melodramatic exaggeration that lots of posters have been engaging in about this tour. Wales' club teams have been absolute garbage for a decade and it's largely the responsibility of the welsh union yet somehow by sending a team on tour early in the league season, leaving frontline test players available to the provinces, the IRFU risk alienating Wales and SA which might threaten the competition? All while the Irish system is probably the best managed in the league and the provinces are all in good/excellent health...this is the comment that gets the gold medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

We are talking about a 10 day tour involving 2nd and 3rd string players. Do you not think that’s reaching a little?

I think the IRFU think so. Not sure our players last longer than their international counterparts though. Sexton is just a massive outlier.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I did say in extremis. I do not think this tour will cause this, but it is just yet another example of the flippancy that the IRFU show towards the domestic competitions and further evidence of why they will never be taken seriously.

We already do not have a domestic competition to match the Premiership and Top14 on numerous parameters. The IRFU showing continued disregard for the competition will help ensure that continues.

I am well aware Wales have their own problems, but their consistent bitching about Ireland not taking the competition seriously clearly have merit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Pointless...I'm not sure whether you are trying to make a point about rugby or, what seems more likely, just a bad faith online pissing contest.

Wow, ok....

Were it not for the Maori starts I doubt he would be starting for Leinster this weekend...

See, I'd largely agree with this and the rest of your post. But the logical conclusion is that "those opportunities are were far less likely to come with Leinster".

There's a big difference.

I think his start 2moro night is a bigger opportunity than the games against the Currie Cup teams. You don't have to agree but it doesn't make what I'm saying "a bad faith pissing contest".

Not only is it a bigger opportunity, but he'll learn more about how to actually play 10 in a proper game.

Not offering this as evidence by any means, but just as an interesting aside, I remember looking into the top 100 oldest players to play at a RWC awhile back and 5 of them were 10's. The breakdown in descending order was:

• ROG in 2011 was 35.5
    • Stephen Jones in 2011 was 35.4
    • Butch James in 2011 was 34.2
    • Johnny Sexton in 2019 was 34.2
    • Dan Parks in 2011 was 34.1

If Sexton doesn't get injured, he's a cert to travel, at which point he'd be overtaking ROG by almost 3 years. He's a machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I sometimes wonder how he gets out of bed the day after an international. My experience of playing rugby in my late 30s (very social rugby) was not being able to move properly until Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

10 is probably the least attritional position on the pitch. You can canter from ruck to ruck and off load tackling duties to fatties and gorillas. As opposed to back 3 who you might think have the least work to do on the pitch are in fact racking up multiples of shuttle runs and sprints to get across the pitch to cover sweep defence and then get back in position. The amount of park to cover and ground to make up has you shuttle running all day. I’d say back 3 when played properly racks up big digits on the gps tracker and thus has you knackered after games.

• Advertisement

@Podge_irl He’s playing against Benetton with what’s almost a full strength Leinster team. It’s great that he’s playing as we need another option at ten in Leinster and Ireland but this match should not be too taxing. On tour he will be one of the senior players. It’s a totally different experience, whether it’s better or not isn’t obvious tho.

@aloooof When this tour was planned maybe Leinster had committed to playing him at ten, we don’t know. But nothing last season indicated that it was part of their plans. You are retroactively assuming that Farrell was in a position that he probably wasn’t in. As far as he was concerned if Frawley was going to get time at ten before the WC it would be with Ireland. Arguing that he’s going to learn more playing against Benetton (debatable, see above) is moving the goal posts. To me it looks like Leinster mind was made up by Farrell.

10 is probably the least attritional position on the pitch.

Except that’s not at all how Sexton plays.

He takes it flatter, releases it later and still makes line breaks.

And defensively, to suggest he offloads his tackling duties to fatties and gorillas isn’t remotely close to the truth.

You are retroactively assuming that Farrell was in a position that he probably wasn’t in. 

Not at all. I'm assuming there was dialogue between Farrell and Leinster about the possibility of time for Frawley at 10.

You seem to be assuming there was no dialogue, so the IRFU had to setup this tour to offer Frawley time at 10 that he wouldn't get a Leinster.

He’s playing against Benetton with what’s almost a full strength Leinster team... but this match should not be too taxing

The irony here is the first choice internationals wouldn't be playing BUT for this tour.

He’s also missing matches against Ulster and the Sharks which would have been plenty taxing.

There is also plenty of precedent of the provinces being dictated to for selection in the URC level at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Likely sexton will start both those games though.

That's magical thinking, he goes from being nowhere near ten at Leinster to starting 3 matches if he just wasn't gong on the pesky tour with Ireland. He may be getting time at ten because Farrell asked for it or it may be coincidental but one way or another this tour is Farrells way of guaranteeing him some games at ten in the Ireland set up. Leinster may be part of that or may be playing catch up.

On Frawley, Harry Byrnes continued absence and almost perma injured state may also be a factor in Leinster looking at Frawley again as a 10. Tector and Prendergast may be the future but this season would be fairly thin if Harry doesn’t manage an injury free run.

• Advertisement

Leinster can also shop for Sexton's replacement for next season. I imagine they will.

You mean a non Irish 10? Never going to happen.

Magical thinking? If Farrell can take players away from the provinces for a silly mid-season tour he can certainly make them give a player gametime in a certain position.

If these matches were the only gametime at 10 that Frawley gets then Farrell would be utterly insane to consider him at 10 seriously.

Not sure there is really any need for it either - maybe for one year but then who are you going to get that's anyway decent for one year.

To get someone definitely better than Ross Byrne would be big money. I can’t see the IRFU sanctioning that. There’s a reason that every 10 in the provinces are IQ. Anyone coming in would take minutes from the two young lads. There is very little upside to that.

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about what is behind RB for next season but hopefully one of he academy lads will be flying by the season after. I don't think RB is good enough to win us Europe, but like you say they are not about to splash out on someone significantly better than that.

Since we are in the Ireland thread. From an Irish perspective I’d be far more worried about succession than from a Leinster perspective. Where RB might be adequate. Nearly every game Ireland play is at European knock out level. We still have no obvious successor. I really hope Crowley steps up and kicks on at Munster.

Ah yes true. All the more reason there will be no NIQ 10 incoming.

Personally I have decided to become irrationally invested in Prendergast.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

I’m not necessarily saying sexton does this, I’m just pointing out the possible reasons for the supposed longevity of outhalves.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but your point was overly focused on the miles a player racks up from just running around the field as a rationale as well. Even a 10 who stands deep in the pocket and has a first instinct to kick is still getting hit a lot in games. You'll also face a very steady stream of defensive work down that channel.

The injuries and attrition that cause someone to stop playing the game are much likelier to occur in the multitude of collisions you're involved in rather than just the amount of ground you can cover.

I think a key reason why half backs can usually play to an older age than other positions is that you can get away with a lower level of athleticism given the importance of the roles in dictating the game. Losing a couple of yards at pace won't be found out as quickly at 10 as it will elsewhere in the backline.

Advertisement