Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭rogber

I wasn't referring to you. I thought your post was good and agreed completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

A stopped clock is right twice every 24 hours !

Sorry but this is kind of bullsh*t from Estonia. What next, men fleeing Afghanistan or Syria are told to stay where they are and go out on the street and protest against the Taliban or Assad?

There has to be a distinction between people who are fleeing only because they don't want to fight, and people who genuinely oppose the war and government - the latter deserve asylum, they risk a lengthy jail sentence if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Maybe they're the ones playing the long game - create the circumstances for Putin to make a fool of himself, be deposed/assassinated etc, so they can take over the top job?

I get the feeling that guy is going to be laughing his socks off about that for many years to come 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Have you heard the insane, rabid shíte Medvedev has been coming out with? I think that’s a message: if Putin goes, it’s going to be business as usual, because the next guy in line is fully committed to the invasion too.

Oh, I was in no way making any suggestion that 'the next guy' would be better than Putin.

Consider Nature Vs Nurture - a 'good' person growing up and living in a sick society has so many more opportunities to fall from grace, and once you've fallen, it's easier to keep falling down than to claw your way back up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

That lad has Putin's hand so far up his arse he might as well be Kermit the Frog.

Why do you think he was "president" when Vlad had to step down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Ohh ok in that case I apologise.

I didn't see anyone else posting that so assumed you meant me. I must have missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

The latter have had 7 months to flee and oppose the war. It's pretty obvious those suddenly fleeing now don't want to fight.

Just like the recent protests, they are not protesting against the war, they are protesting against the mobilisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

He's written books which a considerable number of people have claimed have really helped them straighten themselves out, and that's commendable, but it seems some of Peterson's words and ideas have been appropriated by the far right and that's given him an association with that end of the political spectrum. He's not doing himself any favours in regards to distancing himself from that by throwing his two cents in on every culture war topic going.

I agree that this war is terrible and that Ukraine in ruins is not much of a victory, but I find it annoying that the hand wringing over it so often comes from the point of view of the pressure being on Ukraine and the West to end the war, as if they started it or something, and conveniently ignores the fact that the war would end tomorrow were Russian forces just to fúck off back home, like they should.

By and large I agree. But I still think it's a difficult call to make and I can see why EU countries are split on the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

What ever happened to those who worked at that tv channel that was closed down back in February? They and the others who protested about the war at the beginning would deserve protection but I guess many of them were carted off never to be heard of again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I think the discussion is about Germany actively calling on Russians to claim asylum there, and Estonia expressly saying they won’t accept Russians fleeing.

furthermore, Estonian politicians are condemning the German policy:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I am conflicted over it. Such asylum was a very difficult thing to get back in the Cold war. In some ways, the situation that now exists between EU-Russia is worse than that. Why is the EU obliged to just let Russian's (citizens of a hostile state) in who show up at the border now, after their damascene conversion about the evils of the Ukraine war?

They can go to Turkey or Israel or whatever, most of them able to flee at a moments notice now Putin's making moves to call them up for war probably have the money to do that. Why is the EUs job to be the bolt-hole for everyone on earth fleeing these scumbag dictators? All the while we get abused and threatened with war by these dictators and strong men on the regular, while majority of citizens in these places either keep the head well down or even cheer on the revisionism/revanchism and militarism (until the dictator turns on them or their family of course)!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Housefree

Which channel RT.com? It wasn't closed down just banned by the freedom of speech loving west, it's still running but harder to access...well freedom of speech loving unless they don't like what you say, then they lock you up for life, like the journalist Julian Assange

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Germany could say that they will accept Russian refugees, but such is their security concerns that the refugees will have to live in secure camps where they will receive basic amenities in return for labour geared towards humanitarian aid in Ukraine.

Now, yes, camps in Germany housing an ethnic minority? Not a fantastic look, given the history of that, but these are extraordinary times.

It would, of course, be easier just to not accept any Russian, but that begs the question do those people stay in Russia and protest the war, or does Russia gain any advantage by sending them to be cannon fodder?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I am somewhat conflicted over the general point also, but an Estonian MP saying that all citizens bear responsibility for the actions of a dictator is a bit rich when she is basically blaming a significant portion of her own population for the actions of the USSR.

I don't believe it is the EU's "job" to look after these people, but there is also a perfectly good argument that every single man not joining the army is a win for Ukraine. Demanding they instead be forced into the army and sent to Ukraine seems like just blood lust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

No, there was an alternative tv channel. I’ll have to go back this thread to the first days of the invasion to find what it was called.

Edit: it was the Russian authorities that went in to their studio and physically removed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Exactly, it's bizarre that he would make such a stupid threat.

It's very useful though, the West can now use it to justify whatever they deem appropriate.

He's an idiot, he has no hope against the West, conventional or otherwise, so he squares up to them ????

Then again, the West knows he hasn't made any status changes to his nuclear posture so maybe it's all just for his domestic herd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Considering the hostility that has been expressed towards Estonia historically as well as now from Russia i think Estonia are doing the right thing.

I can't see how from a security perspective, with the very real prospect that they will be attacked, they can allow large numbers of Russian men have sanctuary there.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Housefree

The west are willing to fight Russia down to the last Ukrainian, they aren't going to put their population or fighters at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Yes, you're right the more that refuse a draft the better it is for Ukraine, and I don't hold each and every Russian collectively responsible for this war.

Just don't think the EU needs to be taking risks and letting them in en masse (everyone who shows up at the border claiming asylum from Putin, because they might be drafted tomorrow!).

There are many other places they can go in the world (though they are less cozy, easygoing and accommodating than EU countries) and other (though admittedly more dangerous) ways to get out of fighting if it comes to it, or oppose the regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That was Dozhd TV wasn't it? There was a BBC documentary about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

This is absurd. Overweight 50 year old supermarket workers in the Territorial Defence do not suddenly get mistaken for special forces and start performing like GI Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,411 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Russia would already be defeated by Western fighters if it didn't have nuclear weapons.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I wouldn't be letting any of the Russian F*****s into this country. And I'd rounding up all Russians here inc our man in the embassy and kicking them out. Likewise Ukrainian males wanted for service in their country, immediate repatriation for them to do their bit as best they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You might be superised what people can do when they face the threat of extinction at the hands of a foreign invader.

So much for pro Ukraine..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Aviation update:

I've mentioned a few times here about the, almost forgotten, enclave that is Kaliningrad.

Kaliningrad is unique in that it is, in the eyes of Russia, a veritable "aircraft carrier/missile platform" in a perfect strategic position in Europe, but also a particularly vulnerable one.

Airtraffic, both commercial and military, has increased exponentially into Kaliningrad over the last few weeks, with thousands of tonnes of equipment being shipped along a very circular route over the Baltic. ( Lithuania stopped all rail transits from Russia to Kaliningrad)

This morning, NATO surveillance flights all around Kaliningrad have tripled, with everything from 2 x Swedish ELINT platforms over the Baltic Sea, A US army SIGNIT King Air to the North, an RAF RC-135 conducting a complete, encircling sweep of the Enclave, which it has never done, plus numerous refuelling and support Aircraft, all in operation around the area.

Something very interesting is happening here. Kaliningrad is known to have upgraded and increased its nuclear ballistic missile facilities and is now hosting a flight of Mig-31's, among others. The Migs carry the Kinzhal nuclear-tipped hypersonic missile.

In my opinion, if a tactical nuke was to be deployed by Russia, this is how it would be done. Hence the massively increased surveillance of Kaliningrad currently underway. Please see below:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Sounds more like you're annoyed because you want YOUR side to win. Even if that means a prolonged war and more suffering all round.

What Petersen is saying makes a great deal of sense, and what I like about him is that he doesn't really care how many noses he puts out of joint with his opinions. At the same time I really don't get the impression that he's deliberately trying to get a reaction or be controversial for the sake of it.

Russia hold the better cards, no matter how many people try to convince themselves that the opposite is true. This doesn't mean that Putin and Russia cannot lose spectacularly, if they make major miscalculations. But the odds are greater that they succeed in some fashion, and leave Ukraine in a sorry mess for generations to come. If Russia are prepared to suffer until the bitter end for some sort of result, then it's unlikely that the west will be able to stop them. Their nuclear arsenal effectively makes them as powerful as any other superpower in the sense that it's almost impossible to secure a decisive victory against them... even if they're nowhere near as powerful as the US/China etc when gauged by other metrics - Economics, equipment, technology etc.

Wishing or pretending this isn't the case, doesn't achieve anything. And we all know just how much the west loves to live in their own little fantasy land when it comes to the topic of fact Vs fiction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement