Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭deezell

That was the case but the co.uk site now appears to be just an English language version of the EU sites. Prices are in €, they ship from Italy, they display the Stiga Group mowers, (these disappeared off the UK site on Brexit, probably due to UK distribution rights now belonging solely to a UK company), and most importantly, they don't deliver to UK anymore, as in this banner,

"Shippings to the UK are temporarily suspended until further notice, due to the upcoming Brexit restrictions. All the products are shipped from Italy"

Having said all that, you might prefer the .it or .de site using translate, just in case it was shipped via the UK without proper transit to Ireland docs.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

Hi All,

I'll soon have 2500 sqm/0.65Ac area to cut and i'm trying to weigh up the pro's and cons of the various options, i'd say i'll be collecting the clippings 70% of the time. Ground is fairly flat and i've more than enough space to dump clippings

1. Honda "professional" 21'' ~€1900 mainly because I know hondas have a good reputation for reliability
    2. Toro Timemaster 30'' ~€1850
    3. Some second hand Husqavarna/Stihl in the same price range. More maintenance headaches potentially

I know with the 21'' to 30'' comparison it's a ~5km walk compared to a ~3.5km walk, the grassbag is the same size so that element of the job wont change that much

I had an 18'' honda with the mulching function previously and i found the mulching useless most of the time with our damp conditions so the mulching functionality differences between the 2 don't interest me that much

Any suggestions?

What used Husky or Stihl walk behind mower is asking €1800? You could get a good used Stihl/Viking or Husky ride on for that. Heres a pair of Snappers in that range,

this Viking, huge for your requirements. https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/ride-on-lawnmower/31970881

or this Husq, 97cm cut from a dealer for €1200

https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/husqvarna-ct153-ride-on-lawnmower/32097058

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

Thanks deezell, was just using stihl/husky as an example of second hand ride ons I meant a ride on for point 3.

I think a second hand ride on might be the best bet tbh, is there any brand to avoid with regards to parts availability? I'll do any maintenance on it myself. Do any brands have hour meters/gauges on them so I can see how much they've been used?

• Advertisement

I think Honda, higher end Viking/Stihl 6127Z, a few others on their premium models, and also semi commercial machines have an hour meter.

I have 3 acres on a south facing slope. I cut half of it with a push mower, a pretty big McCullough, takes about 6 hours but I like the exercise. Its hard wearing grass, not a snooker table. The other half is slightly further from the house, more like an adjacent meadow, and for the past couple of years it's just grown wild.

I presume second hand ride ons are more plentiful now and are cheaper with the increase in autonomous mowers. I have sheds to store it and a friendly mechanic to service it. I'd think about spending 1 or 2k on a second hand. Any tips on makes and models given the slope and the size? The garden is very irregular shape so I'd keep the McCullough to go around the edge anyway.

Thanks.

Check out the 44" cut Viking I referenced three posts back. With up to three acres to cut, and a slope to overcome, you'll need the width and the power of the V twin engine. Viking, now Stihl, are among the most robustly engineered lawnmowers, certainly a class above some if the flimsier budget models of the GGP stable, such as earlier Castelgardens, and Mountfield. If its not already sold, it would be a good buy at a price a bit south of the asking.

https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/ride-on-lawnmower/31970881

Thanks for the info and the link. Interesting. It looks nice, and the only thing I know about lawnmowers is get a Briggs and Stratton engine! I'm a long way from Drogheda and will see if there's anything similar in Kerry/Cork. I take it from the recommendation you're saying Viking, around 50" deck and 600cc+ is what I should look for?

The largest domestic cut mower is generally 127cm, 48". The viking/stihl 6127zl occasionally shows up for sale, but not very often. Its a huge cut, balloon tyres and 22hp v twin engine. I bought mine used in 2018, oddly enough in Kerry, where I travelled to from North Kildare. It was worth pulling a trailer for, but you can arrange a van for something like this at a price.

I'm only seeing these new for sale, about €6200. There are a few 5112 44" around, like the one I linked, some with smaller engine.

If you want 50", you're into semi commercial. The countax triple blade 50"A25-50HE is mighty, don't know if there's a dealer here, maybe in NI, but you'll have small change from €10k.

The best big cut used in your €1-2k budget near you is probably this 43" John Deere in Galway https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/lawn-mower/31979356

Start visiting your nearest dealers. Tbh, any ride on above 97cm cut would be a vast improvement on a walk behind, but if you extend to the full 3 acres, it would still be a long day in the saddle.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for all the help and info...and for finding another ad. Spent 9 hours yesterday hauling a heavy gate in a trailer so Drogheda has come back into consideration!

You're welcome. Just seen this Stihl 48"/127cm on Donedeal. 4 seasons old, 125 hrs mowing which is about average for mowing 2 acres over 7 months of a season. Price a bit high. This mower currently available for €6300 list https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/stihl-ride-on-mower-rt-6127/32071826. , so I'd expect a depreciation of .8x.9.x.9x.9, 58% valuing it at about €3700 from a dealer but with no warranty from a private seller, you might offer less. If you were interested in having a look, Mullingar on the way to Drogheda if you go via Tullamore. Good hunting.

Again, thanks for that. I don't want to take up more of your time, and you've been very helpful so far...but my wife is asking why don't I get a robot mower. I just assumed that a ride on would be more appropriate for 3 acres with slopes, trees, tricky access between various sections...it about as far from the neat flat bowling green as is possible. Is that a fair assumption?

It is if your budget is €2K. Big robot mowers out there, they'll cover 3 acres, not so sure of the rough ground. €12_14K. https://www.stokker.com/robotic-lawnmower-l400i-b-30ah-4g-ambrogio-c-am450b4y1z-amb

Oh wow! Well that's the end of that line of enquiry! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I said I'd try the machine again at the weekend before returning it and what do you know she fired up straight away.

Worked perfectly and another cut today fine too.

Not really sure what the issue was, but hopefully it has rectified itself.😊

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭thebackbar

Roughly does anyone know how much it would cost to replace a briggs and stratton 675 engine on a push mower ?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭thebackbar

i can't find the model number on it, but afaik its a castlegarden with a 52 inch deck, any idea on the labour cost ?

A 52" Castelgarden would be a decent deck, worth the cost of an engine swap. I've no idea what dealers would charge, it should be about an hours work. Is it self drive? Popping off the blade, blade boss and pulley might be the stickiest task. Engine is held to the deck by 3-4 bolts, after that its the engine off switch cable, and possible throttle cable. That's it. If you're paying a dealer, ask for the price including the engine. He should be able to source that at trade, invoice the whole job at repair rate of VAT at 13.5%.

Find a reliable decent shop. He might even have a serviceable used engine, a lot of these are fitted to junky cheap decks, the engines outlast the mower by years. Heres a guy selling two for €20 each, good engines, scrap decks. http://www.adverts.ie/27814658

• Advertisement

I put in a bid of 2k on this. They said no...but I'll wait. It's been up on DD almost 3 weeks now, I figure a lot of people may be thinking more about other costs this winter, and I'm guessing the market is stronger in spring...

https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/viking-mt5112z/32037652?campaign=23

A dealer is not going to entertain an offer so far below asking. These mowers are about €4600 new, in the new Stihl colours, but with the Stihl own brand engine. This viking has the Briggs V twin. A four year/season old 5112Z is worth about €2,700, a bit more if sold by a dealer with a warranty. €2000 would be the value of a 7 season old machine. The ad doesn't give the age or hours worked, but it looks immaculate. If it's 4 years old or has mowed low hours, its probably priced well. A realistic offer might be 10% below asking if you're not trading in, a longer warranty, say end of next season, a free service next year. These machines don't come up that often, and in that condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 LV-426

Can anyone comment on maximum slope which a ride on mower can cope with?

Is the issue with slopes a power/traction issue or a safety issue with the possibility of overturning when turning the mower?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Overturning or feeling like you are going to overturn is the issue. Normally the "sh!!!!!t" factor will stop you going to steep.

The steeper you get the more weight is transferred to the lower of the drive wheels increasing the chance of all the power going via the differential to the higher wheel which leads to wheel spin. Mowers (normally pedestrian) designed to cut across slopes often have no dif or wheel brake steering. Steering also gets difficult and less responsive on a steep slope.

Another issue can simply be the seat safety switch, as you go across the slope your weight moves and the engine cuts out.

The real killer can be turning on a slope. If you are driving to a flat area you can turn but if you are left to turn on a slope the pucker factor may be high.

I go to about 20 degrees which feels a lot steeper than it actually is. Bare in mind that and lumps, bumps, hollows or mower wheel ruts might suddenly increase a manageable slope and make it a lot more interesting.

Finally think about the engine. Worth checking on the engine manufactures spec what angles the engine is good for.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Thanks for that. I have approx .4 acre over 4 parts if you get me and most of it is sloped. Don't have the time or energy these days to be walking behind a machine but it seems I'm stuck with it!

Maybe. Is that doable when lawn areas are separated though? Also lawns aren't the most manicured as in not the smoothest surface.

@deezell what do you think of this?

I'm looking at every 43/44" Viking/Stihl that comes up on Done Deal!

Is cruise control handy or a gimmick? I see them on the larger Stihl. I said I have 3 acres, but when I take out house, patio, drive, area under trees etc it's probably closer to 2.

Thanks.

I never use CC mowing , but it cab be useful for some fixed speed task, like towing a sprayer for accurate coverage, or if you were cutting very heavy sward at a crawl.

Rule of thumb for depreciation from new is 80% residual value year one, 90% year two and subsequent. €4550 x.0.8 x 0.9 is €3276, which is probably more realistic for a private sale machine with no warranty and no trade in option. A dealer might list at the price asked, but will have both of the latter options. The hours are relatively low though, assuming it has an hour meter to confirm them, it would suggest about 20-25 mins mowing time weekly, over two seasons of about 25 weeks each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭techi

A delayed update :)

i ended up going with the Honda HF2417hme, well it just works. Delighted with the decision, thanks for the suggestions and info guys.

Advertisement