Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Oh I agree. Putin must not be allowed keep one piece of occupied land. Not one inch.

I wonder if the Chinese are looking at all this and considering keeping the status quo with Taiwan. I know Winnie The Pooh has dreams, but they're probably looking at Russia and thinking they dont wanna go down that route.

Iran, surprisingly could be the one that turns all heads shortly.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

More simply put, it's more members of the military being brought to bear on Ukraine during an illegal war. However they're being brought in, whatever happened in March, it really doesn't matter - their purpose is to abet the killing of Ukrainians in an illegal war and will only serve to prolong it.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

The one part of all this back and forth flexing between NATO/Russia/Ukraine and the talk revolving around nuclear aggression that keeps me from worrying too much is Putin's prerequisite of Russian territory being threatened.

As far as I know, Ukraine and/or her counterparts have already gone into Russia and bombed arms depots so is that not already calling Putin's bluff?

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2022-08-19/russian-villages-evacuated-suspected-ukrainian-strike-arms-depot

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The President of the Ukraine confirmed them in his speech to the UN.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

And that is a very good outcome and long may it continue. Because great leaders often throughout history have also made fantastic mass murderers.

So thanks we will keep our weak handicapped limited power leaders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

LOL 😀 It does suggest though this is no mere "partial" mobilisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

@Gatling I'll ask you for a 3rd time now. Have you any evidence to back up the claim you made about an hour ago that i would welcome Russians fleeing into Ireland? It's okay to admit you mixed me up with another poster pal, iv'e done it myself before.

A bunch of old alcoholics and kids with no combat experience.

Talking about spoofing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Let's face it the nuclear threat is nothing new. The scramble to hold the elections is purely so he can send the recent conscripts into battle on "Russian" soil. Remember it's still a SMO and not a war, so he still needs to abide by the law (I know that's such an oxymoron).

As the results from the sham referendum are rubber stamped, the fresh conscripts will be boots on the ground in Ukraine (or as Putin will announce, Russian soil)

• Advertisement

No its not,because a nuclear attack on Ukraine will send nuclear waste and radiation across Ukraines neigbours that happens to be NATO countries,and this might trigger article 5,just like Russia was warned when sabotaging nuclear powerplants in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'm suspicious of that anecdote as well. If it were true that all of the Ukrainian POWs had been castrated then this would very likely have been announced by the Ukrainians rather than hidden away. There are many reasons why:

1. Show the world, once again, the depravity and cruelty of the Russians.
    2. Spur on the Ukrainians to fight to the bitter end. No man will surrender if he knows that that is his fate.

Do I think some of them could have been castrated? Absolutely.

Do I think all of them were? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

No different to bikie gangs in many countries, including such hell holes as the US, NZ and Australia, who also are lovely lads. Still waiting for your documentation of attrocities by neo nazi's in Ukraine apart from killing way more than their fair share of real Nazis who invaded from Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

The trolls are saying that Russia will win 'eventually', but Russia are even worse-equipped to manage an insurgency than the United States would be, if only because their resources and logistics cannot be as good, not to mention that Russians wouldn't give a flying fúck about winning hearts and minds. So, even if Russia could win the conventional phase of this war (which doesn't exactly look likely right now), their military couldn't withstand protracted guerrilla warfare.

Once again i think it would be more about boots on the ground in Russia or what Putin views as Russian territory not hitting targets with missiles. It does raise an interesting question though to how would Russia respond if the west supplies Ukraine with longer range weapons to hit targets further into their supposed territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

Yes. Also, I find it hilarious when anyone says “I’m not bluffing”. :D As someone already said upthread, it’s such a giveaway. If you weren’t bluffing, you wouldn’t feel the need to bring up the concept at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

If Putin uses a nuclear weapon, he's gone. Even if the only life he cares about preserving is his own, that's enough of a deterrent. If he was going to use them, he would have used them. He hasn't even broken out the gas yet, and we're supposed to be scared he's going to use nuclear weapons?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Article 5 needs to be triggered by an armed attack on a NATO member, I don't think fall out from an armed attack on a non NATO member will satisfy the test.

IIRC the attack on nuclear power stations triggering Article 5 claims was nothing more than Twitter conjecture from a few members of the House of Representatives and UK House of Commons, it was not an official NATO position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

I don't completely disagree with you.

But there is a myth propagated by the west, that becoming a democracy will solve your problems. It may solve some of your problems, but it will also make many of your problems worse. (and maybe even add a few more that you didn't have before)

Where there is weak leadership, there will be unhappy people... you can pretty much guarantee this. And when your system of governance promotes weak leadership, then you are guaranteed to have lots of unhappy people in your society. Permanently.

If you don't believe me, go into any company/business that has bad leaders... look around and see how happy or unhappy the employees are.

And democracies might act as a safeguard against dictatorships. But if you get enough rubbish leaders, over a long enough period, they can do just as much damage to your society in the long run. Rome didn't collapse because of a dictatorship... it collapsed because of poor leadership within a democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Jesus fecking Christ - will you two (and certain other posters on here) stop trying to score points off each other with your puerile bickering? It's dull and actually detracts from any sensible posts you make.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Not sure where you're getting your news from, but no one likes Berlusconi in Italy anymore. His comeback to Italian politics was a disaster and his party are currently polling at just 7% for the Italian election this Sunday.

Excuse me it's not point scoring. The poster made an accusation against me in error. It's been sorted.

Relax and stop back seat modding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

Short circuit the rhetoric and keep going; flood Ukraine with all the weapons they need and ignore Putin's nuclear talk. It doesn't happen until it happens so, steady as she goes.

By the way, did you notice Putin did not mention nuclear weapons directly and now he has the west talking nuclear war? This gives him a chance to accuse the west of nuclear hysteria.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

This have allready been discussed by lawmakers,and the chance of it triggering article 5 is very high,espesially if human life is lost as a consequence

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Housefree

Ah yeah just lads being lads. Nazi apologist much?

In territory controlled by the Government of Ukraine, OHCHR identified a pattern of sexual violence perpetrated in places of detention against individuals perceived to be a part of, or affiliated with armed groups, in order to punish and humiliate them, and / or extract confessions from them.

The victims were mostly young and middle-aged men, threats were directed at female members of their families; at times the perpetrators even detained female family members for a short time, to exert pressure on the male detainees. In most cases, such threats were used to force the victim to “confess” or otherwise cooperate with the investigators, security or military actors. In many cases, sexual violence amounted to torture, causing severe physical pain and mental suffering. Rape, threats of rape, beatings and electrocution of genitals were often used as an interrogation technique. Such violations most often perpetrated against individuals, mainly men, detained by the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) and volunteer battalions

2014, members of the “Azov” battalion, who claimed to be acting upon the orders of SBU, abducted a woman near her house in Zaporizhzhia region. They subjected her to threats and torture which lasted for four to five hours. Her captors, who were all masked, bound her hands and legs with zip ties tightened by a metal chain, beat her with their feet and with the butts of their guns and forced needles under her nails. She was also subjected to the ‘swallow’ torture method. One of her captors threatened to gang rape her by subjecting to oral and vaginal penetration. One of the perpetrators, believed by the victim to be an SBU officer, ordered him to stop. The victim was released on the same day.

69. A medical volunteer for the armed groups of the ‘Donetsk people’s republic’ was detained by Ukrainian forces in July 2014 along with four other individuals. She and another female detainee were regularly threatened with rape, and were once ordered to undress and interrogated by male soldiers while standing naked and blindfolded. On 2 August 2014, the woman was released.64 70. A man arrested by Ukrainian forces in November 2014 while visiting his family on the Government-controlled part of Donetsk region, was subjected to electroshocks (with wires attached to his fingers and genitals), mock executions, and threatened with rape and being cut into pieces.

On 12 September 2016, a woman who was travelling via one of the transport corridors in Donetsk region was told by an officer at the entry-exit checkpoint that there was a problem with her permit and was referred to a coordination centre at the checkpoint. An officer put her passport aside, asked her to enter the container with him, after which he closed the window and locked the door. He told her he had noticed her a month before and liked her, and had therefore intentionally made an error while renewing her permit. He then ordered that she should go with him to a hotel and that she would otherwise be kidnapped and buried alive. He then forced her to sit on his lap and touched, smelled and licked her whole body. She was crying and begging him to let her go. After one hour and a half, he agreed to release her on the condition that she would return to the checkpoint, threatening her with blackmail and physical violence. The victim agreed so that he would set her free. She immediately sought to report the case. OHCHR assisted the victim in filing a complaint to the police.79 As of 15 January 2017, there had been no progress in the investigation into the incident.

on 17 October 2015, a couple was attacked by two drunken soldiers from the 92nd brigade of Ukrainian Armed Forces in Kalanchak, Kherson region. As a result, the woman’s arm was broken. On 5 December 2015, her property was attacked by intoxicated members of the ‘Aidar’ battalion (some of them armed), reportedly involved in the ‘civil blockade’ of Crimea.80 On 18 December 2015 the same perpetrators attacked the woman on the street, chased her and beat her, saying “dirty sexual words”.

The police did not take any measures on the filed complaint and, according to the victim, they were afraid to protect her for fear of antagonizing the perpetrators

November 2015, in the centre of Berdiansk, Zaporizhzhia region, three drunken men claiming to be military officers entered a café and attacked a man as he was video-recording. They insulted a pregnant woman - who was in the café with a female friend – after she asked them to stop. As the two women left, they were followed by two of the ‘military’ men. One of them kicked the pregnant women in the stomach despite her pleas that she was pregnant. He then forced her to the ground, grabbed her by the hair and dragged her along the ground causing her severe pain; he also slapped her friend in the head several times. Reportedly, the perpetrators were members of the special patrol police battalion ‘Storm’.

I could keep posting all day, but it would fill up the whole thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I agree democracy is fragile and bad economic and societal conditions can quickly bring about its end. But since the end of world war 2 and initiatives like the Marshall plan and EEC etc, those conditions have not been met. Much to the frustration of those who don’t like the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

They're not sending their best & brightest by the looks of things:

A lot of these guys are going to end up spending their 2 weeks training experiencing the DTs by the looks of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement