Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Same. 12 months (well, about 9 more) of fixed 7c night rate. Smart meter me hole! (Deemed FIT too, so I can turn off export to the grid and still get paid)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭markpb

I rang Energia this morning and the person I spoke to insisted that I needed a smart meter for FIT. I explained all about boards.ie and about ELM327 and MCC02 but she wasn’t for changing at all ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Thanks for the link, that was embarrassing, she does not seem to have an understanding of the problem with smart meters.Dark days ahead.

Ring again, hopefully you get someone who knows what they are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I don't mind them having made a balls of things.....fxxx it.....everyone makes a balls of something every now and then. That's fine. What does annoy and alarm me is the sheer lack of holding your hand up and saying

"D'ya know what, your right! It's not been a sucess! There are lots of various problems that we have to address, and we'd be open to coming back on here in 6 months or a year and reporting back on the changes we've made to improve things"

At least that's what decent rationale people do. This sticking to the "Ohh but you can save money" lark gets tiring. Sure, I'm positive there are edge case poeple out there, but for those of us on D/N it's a shambles. I don't mind paying for electricity (well do I actually - LOL) .....but I'm not going to pay more for the same electricity from the same supplier on a different tariff cause it's got the word "Smart" in there.

• Advertisement

I worry that some people will equate "smart" with cheaper, the whole energy industry is turning into a minefield for the unwary,I just convinced an elderly neighbour that 10k was outrageous for the installation of 10 Pv panels with string inverter, the sales/gouger also convinced the old gent that it was better to put all 10 on front of house facing east, rather than an east/west split which would have involved some gear going through the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The standing charge for Prepay Power is now 712 a year, the Indo did an article on how much standing charges have risen a few days ago. Its something I keep an eye on as Im a low user of electricity so a low standing charge is something Id look out for every year when switching. I found it a struggle to find much under 300 a year, eventually went with Energia who were 296pa for my plan but 400+ was the direction of travel. 2 years ago my standing charge was 127 a year (Glow Power)

ELECTRICITY and gas providers have been imposing huge increases in standing charges during the energy crisis.

Some suppliers now charging up to €700 a year in standing charges – these are imposed regardless of how much energy a customer uses. An investigation by Bonkers.ie and the independent.ie reveals providers have pushed up the standing charges for residential customers by more than €300 in some cases.

And then this nugget where the regulator reveals they dont actually regulate standing charges

A spokesman for the regulator, the Commission for the Regulation of Utilities, said: “We don’t regulate standing charges. They are network charges. Sometimes the providers will absorb them and sometimes they will pass them on. Standing charges are included as part of the Estimated Annual Bill information and are outlined on accredited comparison websites.”.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/cost-of-living-crisis-standing-charge-hikes-of-up-to-300-on-electricity-bills-regardless-of-your-energy-usage-41999028.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

i said it a good while back. My biggest fear of investing in PV is that at some point the Electricty Providers will go the Broadband route... one standing charge for all - wether you use a lot or a little - conserve or not. If they can provide it, make money they will opt for that model instead. watch them rise...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That will never happen, electricty usage is user bears the cost, if anything we should abolish the standing charge and put all the costs into the unit charge but that will never happen because all power companies love a complex electricity bill, you should see the amount of lines on our business invoice!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭curioustony

I have a sneaking suspicion that is related to the estimated annual bill, the standard load profile and the headline unit rate.

The suppliers want to look good to us punters -- not working.

The CRU states they must use the EAB when advertising. So to keep the headline rate respectable they load the standing charge.

Just a pet theory, have not done the math...

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Never is a long time - care to place on a bet on that? :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The f***. I take that back. My god

People on prepay meters are usually the most vulnerable too. I'd want my power for free if I was paying that.

The network charges are on esb website. And they ain't 700 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah its pretty savage whats happened standing charges over the last 2 years. I feel sorry for anyone stuck on Prepay Power paying up to 700 a year. Plus their customers are often the most vulnerable in society and these prepay meters get installed becasue they have trouble managing their money and had problems paying bills in the past. Or a lot of tenants have them because landlords got them installed and they wont let them uninstall them. And then to hear the regulator has no power to regulate standing charges is just dumbfounding to me, like of course if they are not regulated energy companies are going to do as they please.

However while Prepay is officially the most expensive standing charge on the market there are even more expensive ones out there. Cuckoo funds who own these new build to rent apartments do not allow the tenants to choose their energy provider. Instead all energy is centralised in a multi unit development and the tenants have no choice but to pay a middleman company. In this scenario standing charges can be as high as 1,000 a year. There was a post on Reddit a few months back about this and and the poster was getting walloped with rent of 2,000 a month and then massive electricity costs on top, like way above anything available in the market as we here know it.

This is set to become a major problem down the line as more and more of these apartments are built and because district heating using solar or geothermal is a part of government policy to address climate change. However the reality on the ground is our current laws allow a middleman to take over a development of hundreds of apartments and then operate an energy cartel in the development and the tenants are left paying energy bills so high that they are financially pinned to the wall. Catherine Murphy of the Social Democrats has raised this issue in the Dail recently and guess what- the regulator has no power to regulate this market. Its like the wild, wild west, anything goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'm alright with the idea of a fixed charge if it pays for the grid maintenance. Don't see why it shouldn't be different between suppliers.

Standing charge should be a fixed amount based on the MIC and set by CRU for all suppliers, regardless of meter type

Suppliers then truly compete on the per kWh rate, and the value (or lack thereof) to the customer becomes obvious

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

The higher D/N standing charges were originally to reflect the fact that ESBN had to maintain two analog meters at the property (or a single analog dual meter with an external time clock). All in a single digital meter now obviously.

To be fair those spinny meters are costing ESBN a lot for anyone who has solar since they're running backwards 😂

I'm surprised when people started asking about the higher standing charges for smart meters that ESBN didn't say it was the cost of all those text massages from the meters 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Where are people at with the standard old style meter and the fit?

I know a few friends with solar (who I advised to get installed with the super help from here) but have old school meters- do they actually spin back wards? If it’s exporting can the dial turn the meter back - therefore when you are importing it is cancelled out ?

What option do they have to gain from a fit ? Stay the same ? Get a day night meter ? A smart meter shouldn’t even be considered - thanks 👍🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Any word when Energia will pay deemed export?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

If they have a meter that is spinning backwards they should keep the head down for as long as possible and not request any meter changes. They are effectively getting full day rate for their excess which is more than FiT gives you at the moment.

but have old school meters- do they actually spin back wards? If it’s exporting can the dial turn the meter back - therefore when you are importing it is cancelled out ?

Some of the old meters will spin backwards. Some wont. It will be obvious if it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Those "cuckoo funds" or middlemen are effectively electricity provoders in that case, i would hope they are registered as such, otherwise they should be reported as unregistered providers!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Those "cuckoo funds" or middlemen are effectively electricity provoders in that case, i would hope they are registered as such, otherwise they should be reported as unregistered providers!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

ECHO.....

Echo....

echo...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Autumn 2022 that's all we know so far.

Did you get an email yet?

Then it's going to be paid on each billing period

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

No email here yet either. Anyone else yet to receive one? ESBN have confirmed NC6 on record for my MPRN.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

No email yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 phil_space

I got a 4.2 KwH PV system installed last year. I too have a meter that spins backwards and as you might expect have kept my head down since then and declined a smart meter install when offered one last year. Yesterday I got my letter from my provider Energia regarding FIT payments on the Microgeneration Scheme and how I would start to received these in 'Autumn 22'. Clearly, I'm happy with the status quo and would prefer, at this stage, to stay away from the Microgeneration scheme. Any ideas what I can expect from here on? Will someone knock on my door insisting I have a smart meter install?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Hoping someone can help me with a basic question.

I have received one quote for 8 panels made by Longi and another quote for 8 panels made by Denim plus optimisers included.

There is a 2k difference between Longi versus Denim + optimisers.

Is Denim that much better? Do optimisers worth a lot extra?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Alkers

I would say just chil as is and if you get hassled into a new meter just ask to switch to day and night straight away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@JTMan - get another quote without the optimizers and go for that. You don't need optimizers unless your panels get shading.

Advertisement