Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

Some high scored being rung up in this thread. 😁

But whats the "Your Dogs Make Us Look Stupid" about?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Hit a petrol station , lucky enough it was pretty much empty at the time

And not all is boots on the ground either,most are logistics and support roles

logistics wins wars,not manpower

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wes M.

With mobilization, Putin is declaring war on his own people, and I'm reminded of Adolf Hitler throwing Berliners to the wolves as Allies forces inched closer to the capital. Its obscene that so much power can be wielded by one man and a few gangsters behind him. Life is cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

It's a nice theory wibbs, but there are plenty of well respected academics who would disagree with you on that. And plenty agree with me. Who is right? We'll probably never know without a time machine.

You're going with a "happiness index" as the foundation of your argument? Really, that's what you're going with? lol

Rome didn't collapse in a day, and neither will western democracies. But because our system of governance is now consistently producing sub-par leadership across the board, just like Rome it's only a matter of time before our societies begin to crumble. And most people with their eyes open can already see the early stages of this process.

You seem to think I'm trying to endorse Putin and Russia. That was not my intention behind these remarks, I was simply pointing out that our own systems here in the west are not as strong or impressive as many people think. But again, just like in Rome, there is this supreme arrogance in our society that seems to blind many people to the reality unfolding in front of them.

We have much bigger problems on the horizon than Putin and Russia. In fact, this war in Ukraine has actually been described by a number of people as a symptom of western decline. You said yourself that Rome engaged in a number of stupid wars near the end, and I don't disagree with you on that particular point... but how many foolish wars have the west now been engaged in within recent memory? (proxy or otherwise)

I'm sure the Romans probably made valid excuses for these conflicts at the time too. But hindsight being 20/20, they were deemed to have contributed to their ultimate demise.

• Advertisement

Exactly and they lost how many thousands of vehicles already ,let alone finding qualified technicians to keep running what they already have

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If only.

"As a result of the enemy attack of Odessa by kamikaze drones from the direction of the Black Sea, the administrative building in the port zone was destroyed.

A fire broke out at the site of the hit with a total area of 350 sq.m. The fight against fire continues. The blast wave damaged several surrounding houses. One civilian was killed.

https://t.me/operativnoZSU

"

And for the craic look up the various happiness indexes of world countries. The top ten are all European liberal democracies, other than New Zealand which save for her geography is yet another "European" liberal democracy(ditto for Canada and Australia). You have to go down the rankings to get to theocracies like Saudi Arabia and Mother Russia languishes in the doldrums in the mid 70's.

So it seems being a western liberal democracy strongly tends to make citizens better off, with lower crime rates, lower rates of corruption, freer, with a stronger sense of themselves and yep happier.

You'd really think the "weak democracy" canard would have been consigned to the dustbin of rhetoric long ago.

Hard man-led Russia: having its ass handed to it by a country that aspires to becoming a weak western democracy.

Hard man-led Iraq: kicked out of Kuwait by the weak western democracies. Then the weak western democracies came back and beat him again.

Hard man-led Argentina: kicked out of the Falklands by a weak western democracy. Hard man kicked out of power and democracy embraced instead.

Hard man-led North Korea: beaten back north of the 38th parallel by the weak western democracies.

Hard men-led Germany, Italy, Japan: utterly beaten and occupied by the weak western democracies. Embraced western values and democracy afterwards.

...and so on, as Mrs Doyle might say.

These dictator guys may be well 'ard, but they're not too bright are they? The Russians dumped their oppressive communist system and replaced it with another oppressive regime. They remind me of the Empire in Star Wars: "Well that Death Star was a bit of a disaster, wasn't it? All that work, resources, money and time wasted. I know! Let's build another one!"

Democracies can be more relaxed about how they treat their citizens because they are confident that the system will basically stay intact no matter how the electorate votes. That's sef-confidence...strength even. Unlike the dictatorships who fill their cacks at the thought of the great unwashed actually having some say over them, and act accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Slava_Ukraine

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

yes but even if we wanted to we couldn't attack and occupy the Isle of Man for even a half an hour

Dundalk, Co. Louth

Has steven segal been drafted yet I wonder 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No matter what the total number is inflated to, they can't all be deployed just like that. And even if/when they do move larger numbers of conscripts in, Ukrainian military will know their movements closely thanks to Western remote intelligence services. I'm sure a warm welcome will be given where possible, just to remind them what a f***ing awful decision they've gone along with. Which could scatter them like fleas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

I don't even think Russia has the food logistics to feed a million man army never mind arm them. Putin is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Last I recall the Russians stopped with all of the BS about maintenance issues and just straight up said "We're shutting it down until you remove sanctions".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭roosterman71

These million folk being rounded up - how many will be sent to the front? I'd expect lots to be put into logistics jobs like emptying ammo by hand and the like. The more experienced ones probably up front alright so the existing crew get a break. Plus throw a lot all along the lone to stretch the Ukrainians out again. And if that clown in Belarus enters the party, that would stretch the Ukrainians even more. All these extra lads turning up is a definate problem for Ukraine. Lets hope they show the brains they have already to come up with a plan to negate it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

These drones are insane.

Imagine Al qaeda or isis got there hands on some.

2500km range.

I imagine these are the future of wars, terror groups etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

All jokes aside, this sounds like some solid advice

• Advertisement

10x richer, but yet can't find or afford a roof over our heads? hmm interesting that. It's interesting how people choose to define a nations status. (and which bits they choose to ignore)

I'm not going to get into a debate with you comparing Russia with Ireland, because like I said, that wasn't the point I was making. I'm not trying to endorse Russia.

It's perfectly possible to admit that both Russia and the west are poorly run places. (I'm not really interested in which is run worse, as it's not a competition to see who can be more screwed up)

You do realise that you can't eat what comes out of a facebook data center, right? And you can't put it in your boiler to heat your house either, to keep you warm over winter!

Anyway, this war in Ukraine has proven, that when it comes down to the crunch, old world industries and resources are still far more important than facebook data centers or google HQs. But again, the arrogance of many westerners blinds them to this - even when the reality of it is literally slapping you right in the face.

If we get prolonged global fuel and food shortages, nobody is going to give a damn if you're an affluent debt ridden western nation with half of your bloated economy depending on google or facebook. We're more concerned with status than substance. (substance keeps your belly full, status just merely feeds your ego)

Ah crap.

They need to be asking for C-Rams from the Americans while waiting for missle defense systems to be deployed,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

You would think with decent radar and a machine gunner with a high caliber machine gun in the back of a hind helicopter they could take them out in daylight. They seem to be flying low and slow. Sure beats wasting an AA missile on them.

Yes, the west needs to stop messing around and supply some really high end gear like C-Ram and Sky Sabre, and A-10s, Reaper drones and so forth.

The UK gave/lent a Sky Sabre system to Poland, which isn't being attacked. It should be in Ukraine protecting civillian infrastructure and lives.

You do realise that you can't eat what comes out of a facebook data center, right? And you can't put it in your boiler to heat your house either, to keep you warm over winter!

It is possible though!

Trying to shoot one down with an AK isn't to to happen unless they are rediculously lucky,

They could easily mount 50 cals on roofs around important infrastructure at least they would have a fighting chance of stopping them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭rogber

What I'm seeing and hearing from Iran is dozens killed, doubtless many more imprisoned and probably followed by new repressions. If that's what you call "nothing happening" I'd hate to see your idea of turbulent events.

Massive respect to the protestors but it's ugly out there.

I of course agree with the basic point about Russia being a kind of failed state and highly dysfunctional society.

Ah come on, I didn't say AK, I said high caliber like a browning M2. The hind has a side door, so should be easy to get side by side to it.

Didn't spitfire pilots use to tip v1's using their wingtips during WWII.

Anyway, Ukrainian are pretty good at adapting to an ever changing war, I'm sure they will come up with a counter or better defense against them.

Don't worry, I'm sure they know how to survive such things.

It's interesting that Ireland can't feed itself or keep the lights on without outside assistance, but yet you're clearly more impressed by the fact that we have some swanky corporate parks.

There are plenty of people who would consider that to be both supreme arrogance and breathtaking stupidity.

It's worth ruminating on these things, while you're looking down your nose on other nations. (not to say that other nations don't deserve criticism too)

• Advertisement

I bet it is. That three-legged symbol looks very suss.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement