Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I never said you Said AKs,

They were shooting at them with small arms in the videos it's extremely difficult thing to do with small arms ,

They could kit out helicopters with door mounted miniguns , but the helicopters would need to be in the same airspaces as the drone was coming in ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

Just joking. But comparing it to howitzers, the steeper the angel of the barrel the closer the target. (As I understand it, there are two angles for a howitzer that lead to the same target - two solutions to a quadratic equation, if I understand correctly)

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• One country has an economy that relies too much much on multi-national corporations and is in the middle of a housing crisis.
    • The other is a corrupt kleptocracy that has a long history of murdering or locking up dissenting voices, has no freedom of the press and is engaged in a disastrous war which is killing tens of thousands of its citizens purely because one man couldn't handle lockdown.

I mean, who's to say which is worse really?

But still, democracy needs to carry a big stick - just in case.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Whatever the number is, they won't be all going in together. They'll be staggered - like putting meat into a mincer one piece at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Someone mentioning on Twitter that old flak cannons would work. I mean they are flying as slow as old WWII prop planes. In a place like Odessa, if they are coming over sea from Crimea, they should have good line of sight.

I'd say they woudkn't be used much to attack the Frontline because of the amount of AA there, so the Russians are resorting to attacking cities far from the Frontline.

Be interesting to see a map of all the Iranian drone impact and intercept locations to see if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

look at resource rich South America a paradise of natural resources.

look at the queues at the US border of people from this resource rich land risking life and limb to get into the desert landscapes of New Mexico Arizona, Texas etc.

No matter what part of the world it’s the same story. Resource rich countries are corrupt as f*ck. Resource deprived countries in the North and West tend to be not corrupt. People have to work hard and co-operate to survive in such countries. No easy pickings for most people in the western world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

But they still have to feed increasing numbers (when they can't even properly feed the numbers they still have left) - unless they expect them all to die on a rotating basis too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Actually from a food perspective Ireland produces way more than it needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Ireland could feed itself. Presently it probably cannot, unless you like lots of beef and potatoes. Most of the grains you see in fields are for animal feed, brewing and biofuels and are not really fit for human consumption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

no idea what point you are trying to make really….,how about you spend some time in Russia and see what it’s really like and then come back here and give us your opinion instead of basing it on Google searches😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

Yeap 300,000 0f those will be housefrees heros and rid the world of NAZIS (sic)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, the north and south Caucasian Mountain range , very beautiful.

No other veg? No fruit? No dairy? No pork, no lamb, poultry?

Ya make it sound like a lump of beef served with potatoes is all we can produce to feed ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Russia getting closer to being a North Korea every day….

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

Of course, but that's my point. The democracies have shown that that they can produce a big stick when they need to, and proceed to beat the jobbies out of the hard man with it. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

Francis, there are videos of Russian Military picking up students direct from their schools and colleges...straight into buses' and off to where they are taking them to...military training. By definition, students have no military training whatsoever. They are not allowed to be conscripted, much less sent to war. After getting their university degree, they start their military training, but with the rank of Major.....no hazing of the officer corp. They are actively picking up their first million even now.....full steam ahead, time being of the essence, which shows just how desperate Putin is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

46 posts and claims the 2nd most food secure country on the planet can't feed itself. Fact free and propaganda full.

We have another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

"Iranian Ambassador to Ukraine Manuchehra Moradi has been deprived of accreditation, and the number of diplomats at the Iranian Embassy in Kyiv has been decided to "significantly reduce", — the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine"

Good. Actions have consequences.

I just had a thought, and sure enough, Iran is was the 7th largest buyer of Ukrainian grain. We liked your grain so much we sold/gave drones to your enemy.

China is the largest importer of Ukrainian grain. I wonder if Putin's move on Ukraine has anything to do with wanting to gain influence over China.

Alternative reality .

The damage they will do to those poor unfortunates being dragged off only to be dumped in a trench in occupied ukraine,if they survive the onslaught to that's coming for them , they will be permanently scared psychologically,and Russia doesn't treat their veterans well ,

• Advertisement

The more of Russia I see the more it looks like a Marx Brothers film

Post edited by zv2 on

Really odd rumors xi jinping has been arrested in Beijing,

If true this is turning into a very situation across the world

Wouldn't be from some Twitter post from someone that has like 50 followers and claiming to be some news outlet?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's a nice theory wibbs, but there are plenty of well respected academics who would disagree with you on that. And plenty agree with me. Who is right? We'll probably never know without a time machine.

Nope. There isn't a single "well respected academic" - unless he/she's been hard at the vinum, or their academic specialty is plate tectonics - who would describe the western Roman empire at her end or for three centuries before it as a democracy. It went from a kingdom, to a republic to an empire ruled by autocratic emperors. Even when it was a republic democracy was loose enough, but in imperial times it was the near definition of an autocracy. There's a reason why Caesar, led to titles like Kaiser and Czar.

You're going with a "happiness index" as the foundation of your argument? Really, that's what you're going with? lol

It's a pretty good standard to judge crime, economic, corruption, equality, health, even longevity stats. And the weak western democracies rule the roost in these metrics. Put it another way: Where do those from second and third world nations look to and want to move to? The west.

Rome didn't collapse in a day, and neither will western democracies. But because our system of governance is now consistently producing sub-par leadership across the board, just like Rome it's only a matter of time before our societies begin to crumble. And most people with their eyes open can already see the early stages of this process.

Ah here we go, the open your eyes argument. Jaysus. The fall of major civilisations is generally pretty easy to see even in the throes of them. Economics is a huge part of it, famine, local climate change, war, trade declining and so on. The problem for your theory is that for the most part in the West these metrics stabalised or went up even with the "sub par leadership".

You seem to think I'm trying to endorse Putin and Russia. That was not my intention behind these remarks, I was simply pointing out that our own systems here in the west are not as strong or impressive as many people think. But again, just like in Rome, there is this supreme arrogance in our society that seems to blind many people to the reality unfolding in front of them.

We have much bigger problems on the horizon than Putin and Russia. In fact, this war in Ukraine has actually been described by a number of people as a symptom of western decline. You said yourself that Rome engaged in a number of stupid wars near the end, and I don't disagree with you on that particular point... but how many foolish wars have the west now been engaged in within recent memory? (proxy or otherwise)

The only ones calling this a symptom tend to be those who want it to decline, or those who think they have some sekrit knowledge. Those who go on about Western, usually American hegemony(while not getting that America =/= The West), mostly from places where their own people want to get into the same west. Like eejits in Africa and India in this conflict who are supporting Russia against the "West". Problem being they've not opened a history book, or stupidly think just because Russia didn't colonise them that's OK. Russia didn't need to. It carved its own empire on land all the way to the Pacific planting and ruling over all the ethniciities along the way and they didn't do it with fluffy toys and sweets. Russia is the last old style White "Christian" empire on Earth. If they had forged overseas empires they'd have been just as bad as the English, Dutch, French, Belgians etc. America for her part took over to large degree after the fall of the other European overseas empires because Hitler was trying to get in on that imperial action. While Russia was able to carve up Eastern Europe as they had planned to with Hitler.

Your other problem and the difference between Rome's end and "The West" now is that the West, or rather America could actually afford to prosecute these wars, daft as they were. Hell WW2 basically made them the economic powerhouse. They also transmitted their hard and soft power. While America has a shedload of social problems and massive wealth inequity and I put Europe way ahead of them, they're still the richest nation on earth and with the most capable military machine.

I'm sure the Romans probably made valid excuses for these conflicts at the time too. But hindsight being 20/20, they were deemed to have contributed to their ultimate demise.

Actually not so much. There was quite the pushback. That's one reason why they fell. In the West. Rome in the east kept going for another 1000 years thanks very much(and called themselves Romans, not Byzantines. Mehmet the second who took the city added to his titles Qayser i Rom/Caesar of the Romans). Indeed it can be argued the Russians/Eastern Europeans took up that mantle of the eastern empire in their structure and religion and iconography. This is the Russian presidents flag of office today:

The double headed eagle of Byzantium.

So European"Western" countries and cultures have proven to be remarkably robust and resistant to decline. Indeed the only time when the great Chinese empire had a higher economic output was during the Tang, the period we refer to as the Dark Ages in Europe. The ones that weren't so resistant were those that were stagnant; culturally, socially, politically, economically and technologically. Which fits this picture better? Russia or Western Europe, or America for that matter?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

Yes, and in fact USA also bailed out Russia during WW2 with lend lease.

The Russians had millions of men then as now as cannon fodder but this time without the US equipment and support.

Everybody knows Russia is largely a S***hole irrespective what the shills are arguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Economics101

Ireland, like all small developed countries, relies heavily on specialization. So we export loads of beef and dairy, and import cereals and fruit. Its what normal countries do under peacetime conditions (good old Law of Comparative Advantage). Its only when nasty buggers like Vlad come along that this gets disrupted. I hope we can generally count on peacetime conditions and freedom to trade.

The "we can't feed ourselves" debate is a bit pointless.

Post edited by Economics101 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

That's all here, but on a small scale. Poultry is heavy in NI, lamb is seasonal, Irish people don't actually eat a lot of pork. Ireland could do it, but it's cheaper to import so farmers look for profits elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement