Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭trashcan

I wonder did the keeper put Joe Redmond off ? I’d expect Joe to get to that normally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Probably so. We dont look like we have a player who can open them up either. Whats new. If they do sit back i think we should be looking at getting either hodges or Coventry off for another forward after 60 mins. Ferguson not offering much. Away goals dont count btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,172 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Not sure. I was closer to the ball than the goalie and im watching from Kildare.

Anyone know his official height? Looks tiny.

What is with that mad cackling laugh from Kenny?

Coventry is dreadful. Get him amd ferguson off and change the system. Go 3 upfront. Kayode and odebikuo on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

6 foot exactly, same height as Luke Shaw who also doesn't look tall.

Im not buying that. Too small for a keeper all the same these days.

Coventry is shocking lads.

Shaw carries a fair bit of timber so that might have something to do with it. Maher is probably 5'10. A lot of lads will add on an inch 😉

• Advertisement

Get in Ferguson ..

Thats why you leave in a player like ferguson. Doesnt do a tap and then pops up with that. Coybig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,186 ✭✭✭Xander10

Jaysus youve been quiet tonight lad. Welcome to the party. You'll get likes for that post.

Hodge off. Wouldnt agree with that.

Hodge was one of the better players tonight

That was a penalty !

Connolly brilliant tonight. If he keeps his attitude and work rate up to this level the lad will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Frustrating. We were the better team, but yet were lucky to get the draw in many ways. I think some of Crawford's selections were questionable.

Lyons should have played left back with Cashin and O' Brien in the centre. He also waited far too long to make changes. Wright had a decent game, but was clearly flagging and should have been swapped earlier. O' Connor has been a stalwart and did ok tonight, but is he only there out of sentimentality?

Positives? Thought Joe Hodge was very good, tidy in possession and always looking to get the ball. Connolly worked very hard and had a decent game, but seems to lack confidence. Smallbone probably the big of the bunch, he has an air of quality that many of the others seem to lack.

• Advertisement

I thought Smallbone was very casual. Definitely has quality, but too many fancy flicks that didn’t come off, and a lack of urgency about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Reports here are more negative than my own perception of the game, I thought we played fairly well and were the better side but gave away a soft goal. We looked good on the ball playing out from the back but didn't seem fully in sync going forward apart from one or two spells. Hodge, Cashin, Smallbone, Connolly some of the better performers for me. Wright did OK but I don't think he is good enough to start and would be playing Lyons there on Tuesday if we play the same system.

Frustrating not to get the win but if both sides perform similarly on Tuesday I think we will win. A fairly entertaining game and atmosphere in Tallaght too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Just to update this:

Guaranteed top seeds for the qualifiers will be Belgium, Croatia, Denmark, Hungary, Italy, Netherlands, and Spain.

Czech Republic, Portugal, Switzerland, Austria, France, and Poland are still fighting for the last three spots as top seeds.

England and Bosnia now join Wales as the guaranteed second seeds for the qualifiers and Romania will be third seeds with Sweden.

Tomorrow should see a few more pot three teams confirmed, let's hope we're not one of them.

Mark McCadden reporting that Stephen Kenny wants Brian Barry Murphy to be John Eustace's replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

I was at the U21 match myself tonight. I thought we played very well and definitely deserved to win it.

Not seeing what others saw in regards to Hodge. I thought he struggled to impose himself on the game and deservedly was substituted. Devoy didn't exactly improve our midfield either.

The substitutions Crawford made should have been made earlier. O'Connor offered virtually nothing the entire game. He hugged the right byline, rarely made overlaps forward and never looked for the ball, but did have it in him to produce a cross when needed. Definitely not a player capable of adding to his senior caps by all accounts. Should have been replaced by Ebosele at half time but Crawford decided to bring Ebosele on for Wright when he began to tire late in the second half.

Connolly is such a workhorse and his timing of runs is superb. Deservedly MOTM. Ferguson for me was quite good in the first half. He was a target man who was capable of winning most duels and his running and flicks showed promise.

Defensively we were solid. Jury still out whether the back 3 have what it takes to make it at senior level.

• Advertisement

Yeh o'connor is poor to be fair. Has taken advantage of us not having am alternative option at 21s level up to now. Mad to think he has a senior cap. Ebolese would give us a lot more. O'connor just hasnt developed at all.

I disagree re ferguson. I dont think he offered a lot but look he got a goal and thats what good players do. His lack of pace will make it difficult to advance at PL level.

Hodge and redmond were excellent.

As i said if Aaron continues with the attitude and hunger he'll be grand.

The goalie is a disaster. Ive never been convinced by the lad and then he does that.

As ive said if we qualify Jim should be looking at the senior squad for players. Bazunu primarily. Playing the best teams in Europe we will be exposed if we dont have our best possible team out. The likes of Nathan, Troy, Gavin, Michael and Jayson all deserve the chance to play at a Euros. Regarding developmemt that will stand to them for seniors also. Coybig.

Israel have dipped into their seniors for players? Theres an idea.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Why is Ebosele not in the squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Their senior team only have a friendly on Tuesday night and as far as I know they have been involved with the u21 squad during this campaign.

• Advertisement

U19s play Wales at 1pm and match is being streamed on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/3j3Yh1fGQtg

Thought last night would have been a very good performance away from home but Israel were there for the taking and thought we were a bit too conservative against an Israel team playing 5-4-1. Didn't expect us to go three at the back until the away game.

Can see with the subs Crawford was happy with the draw and how we remained with the same formation even when they went down to ten men.

Israel will be forced to be more open at home and with the same performance should pick up the win.

A win is a win as the U19s beat Wales 2-0 with goals from Ferizaj and Franco Umeh in the 87min and 93rd min. Wales battles hard and made it difficult for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Some win for Ukraine in Armenia

Hopefully that Ukraine shows up against Scotland on Tuesday though we gotta make sure to get 6pts ourselves to hopefully finish second. Finish second in our group and could get into pot 2 as the best ranked second team. Need Norway to do us a favour against Serbia because Sweden will likely not get a result away to Serbia.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Watched back the U21s game. Connolly looks like he has the bit between his teeth again. Was really up for it last night and you could see how much more of a level above he is at when he’s in this kind of form.

Delighted for Ferguson. He still has a lot to learn and a lot of growing to do. It took him a while to get into the game (a few loose passes in particular were quite poor) but he was quite good by the end of it.

Would I be right in saying that a draw tonight is fairly worthless and we might as well go all out for the win? Unless we win both our games we will be 3rd seeds. Also would increase our chances of a playoff a good bit if we finished 2nd over 3rd?

A draw is worthless. Even if we take six points we can still end up finishing third if Scotland beat Ukraine. If we finish second chances are we'll likely be second seeds for the draw and get a play off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Think we will do well to get a draw tonight. Scotland started poorly v Ukraine last week but took over and were by far the better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

To have any hope of a draw, that Scottish midfield has to be rattled. It will be a good game to see where Kenny's Ireland is at. Scotland away combative type team. But not an overly technical one that can play around Ireland.

So there should be no excuses, Hard work and defensive solidity should be enough to get a draw. It would be an impressive result, in light of the previous Kenny results. No Irish injuries as well, so no excuses there either.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Ukraine were absolutely muck against Scotland. So much they changed their whole starting XI today.

John Egan is captain again tonight so likely that Duffy isn't starting. They take turns when Coleman isn't starting and would have been Duffy's turn tonight.

Parrott and Obafemi kept as the front two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Very happy with that XI.

Dykes starts over Adams. Probably 4-5-1 again.

Seven of the starting XI played in the last U21s campaign. Five still qualify for this campaign, and two still qualify for the 2025 campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Just watched the Kenny pre match interview. The interview was completely incoherent. " Listen , eh ,ya know ,look...listen, awkward silence , then goes off on a tangents about something that wasn't even asked . Bizarre, the guy needs a media coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,068 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Very happy with that team, Parrott and Obafemi really feels like the right choice too given how well they connected as a partnership. By miles the highest ceilings of all our forward options, so quite happy to see them build on their great game together last time out.

great to see that midfield trio fairly nailed down now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Would’ve thought he’d go with Duffy up against that big lump Dykes, but looks like the best team available to him. Expecting Scotland to be very physical. McGinn to get booked seems likely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Surely someone should have worked with him on media skills by now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement