Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iranian Women Protest and Burn Headscarves

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Sadly, the regime in Iran has cut off the internet for most people. I’d watched some of the videos over the past few days and a real movement had started. The women were being supported by men their own age and also their elders.

#MahsaAmini

Videos from Iran are few and far between now and I’m unsure if the comments I read are coming directly from Iran either. The regime could be doing untold atrocities as I type Anonymous were advising how to bypass the internet ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I think its odd that its embraced and promoted by supposedly "liberal" parts of society.

Isn’t that the very definition of liberal though, as opposed to the idea of only permitting ideas and behaviour which suit a person’s own standards? It really shouldn’t be any surprise then that people who hold liberal values would wish to celebrate and promote the wearing of the hijab by those women who want to wear it, and at the same time are opposed to the idea of women being forced to wear it. It’s not actually a double standard.

What IS a double standard though, is a society which claims to uphold liberal values, but only those that are in line with their ideals, ie countries like France which have introduced bans on women and girls wearing traditional clothing worn by women and girls of their culture.

It’s also easy to suggest that religions are patriarchal, given your point of view, but that doesn’t really make any sense from the point of view of people who don’t share your understanding. Theirs is that in Christianity, the Church is feminine, referred to in Christianity as the Bride of Christ. It also can’t have escaped your attention that there are dress codes in all religions for both men and women, exemplified by constant references to the clergy as ‘men in dresses’ 😁

I dunno what Eileen Flynn was thinking either, but ‘celebration’ does fit the context better than the idea of suggesting she might have been calling for a national holiday; it was probably intended to ape the New Zealand Prime Minister’s efforts to show solidarity with Muslim women -

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-newzealand-shootout-headscarves-idUSKCN1R71Q9

Some praised her actions, others not so much 😬

FWIW, Navaratri begins on 26th of this month -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navaratri

Be lots of Indian men and women in Ireland wearing some, interesting… get-up 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Be lots of Indian men and women in Ireland wearing some, interesting… get-up

As long as they don't try turning up in the pub in their jim jams and fluffy slippers like some of the locals, live and let live.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I have never seen it In Ireland "on TV yes" i'm sure around Diwali it happens. Not even seen one Sikh "only on tv again". All my local Indian restaurants are Pakistani. Seen tones of Women in head to toe black though not by choice. As their walking behind the husband. Quite an odd statement to make TBH.

• Advertisement

This is great news, and I've been following this story for well over the past week.

The problem, if it's a problem at all, is that protests have come and gone over the past few years in Iran.

This wave of protests may, as in the recent past, die down and all goes back to "normal".

Hopefully that's not the case. Hopefully they strike for freedom. Hopefully they depose the theocratic autocrats of Iran, once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

Great admiration for the protestors but I expect it'll end in more bloodshed and oppression as usual in hellish countries run by Islamic nutcases.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

It's mad how backwards they have gone. They women were able to dress like 50s USA dresses and all that.

Mad and very sad. Makes you realise that for all Ireland's imperfections it has at least evolved away from that oppressive woman-hating religious sh*te and we're very lucky not to live in a society still ideologically rooted in the dark ages

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Anyone want to take bets when we'll get our first poster insisting it's all a CIA orchestrated plot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

I just hope Iranian women and Iranian people in general get rid of this evil regime ... you got a corrupt king Khamenei and a corrupt prince (his son) calling the shots ... oppressing the people with voodoo mumbo jumbo ... a useless president called Raisi who serves no purpose apart from making it look like 'democracy' .. the president won a rigged election and is a silent, useless tub of lard with 0 charisma and 0 ability and cannot think for himself ... exactly what the Khamenei clan want. This Raisi refused to talk to CNN's Amanpour because he knew he could not argue any valid point ... but gave the excuse because Amanpour would not wear a headscarf ... Amanpour is Iranian and Raisi dodged the interview because he'd be asked tough questions that could get him into trouble with both Shah and Prince Khamenei ..

Khamenei has been in power for 41 years ... from 1983 to date he has imposed so-called Hijab on women and has made sure he continued to rule Iran as a wartime economy decades after the Iran Iraq war was over ... he has surrounded himself with paramilitaries and terrorists to intimidate his people. He is far from the 'enemy' of the West he claims to be ... he is enemy of moderates in the West and in Iran. He has many pals on the world stage both openly (Putin) and covertly (Trump, whose sanctions on Iran killed off his moderate challengers) ... he is connected in with a global far right movement of fellow neo-Nazi types and his regime is a model for likeminded people in America to form a Christian hate state ... The Handmaid's Tale and other dystopias are based on it ... David Duke of the Tea Party/KKK visited Tehran many times despite his organisation publicly hating Iran (but when more moderate governments like Khatami and Rouhani ruled there of course!!) ...

By all accounts Iran's far right kingpin is very ill ... and his pal Putin is otherwise occupied with his mess in Ukraine .. his other pal Trump is out of power. Now is the time for Iran's people to strike Iran's current far right Neo-Nazi voodoo regime with a fatal blow ..

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Ireland is definitely one of the better countries ... it is far from perfect but is streets ahead of nearly every other country especially those in the Middle East/ex USSR area ...

Iran is a mess due to many factors ... not least Western idiots such as Trump intervening with negative policy just as Iran's government was moderating ... hardliners have been given help by clowns like Trump when they most needed it and have given this regime medicine when it was dying ..

As bad as Iran may be it is paradise compared to its even worse neighbours ... you have warzone Iraq complete with ISIS ... you have Taliban Afghanistan and if that wasn't enough you have ISIS there too ... the oppressive Saudi Arabia lies to the south with a savage version of Islam worse than Iran and only marginally better than Taliban ... and to the north you got 2022 version Putin's Russia .... and another war potentially in Armenia/Azerbaijan ...

The world is sick at the moment .. thank god Ireland is located well away from these places and is in better shape economically than most ... but we cannot take anything for granted .. Iran too used to be once a great country and so too were Russia and America ... all it takes is some ultra nationalist far right idiot with a following of misguided simpletons to ruin things ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It's not something that even crossed my mind, but why would that be viewed so negatively even it was said? It's not so long ago that the Americans had their own puppet ruling Iran, so it's not so radical to assume that they might want another. It's likely not the case here, but it's not like the CIA doesn't have a history with stuff like that.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Primarily because the CIA doesn't have the power to trick the Iranian morality police into beating a woman to death and get tens of thousands of people on the streets.

Sometimes (most of the times actually), it's sh*tty misgoverened countries.

People have a schoolboy conspiratorial view of what intelligence agencies are actually capable of.

And the sh*ttier the government, the more likely they are to hallucinate the CIA in their corknflakes in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Waah Orange man bad.

Iran has been the way Iran is since I was in shorts and compromising with them never improved their behaviour. If the Iranians get rid of this regime it will be replaced in a few years by a very similar regime.

By and large, you get the government that you deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭lmao10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

I am surprised that there is no thread yet to discuss what is happening there.

Iran protests: Death toll rises to 76 as crackdown intensifies - rights group

- Started at 1, stands at 76.

- Iran's president, Ebrahim Raisi, has cancelled an interview in New York with the veteran CNN correspondent Christiane Amanpour

- People have been burning/cutting their ID cards outside of Iran

All because of the death of 22 year old Mahsa Amini in the hands of morality police for showing hair.

The modern history of Iran (from the CIA seeking to topple Mossadegh onwards) is a tragedy, cumlinating in the living nightmare of the current ultra-oppressive dictatorship.

One of the great historical nations stuck in a cesspit of religious sh1theadery.

Rory Stewart was very interesting on this in the podcast yesterday. Saying Iran is essentially two countries - a highly educated and relatively progressive young urban population and an extreme conservative rural one. The latter having complete control over all aspects of the state and security though.

Hard to see how they give up that control without it getting very messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

It never fails to strike me as to how much religion really hate the female of the species.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Religion (pick any of them) has always really been about a way to control..going all the way back to Mayan/Incas and even before

And how women were revered in pagan times, the religious must have seen women as a threat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

I dunno but they definitely have a very big gripe against them. Perhaps its the fact that they have the children and that the men must submit on some levels to get offspring, its such a definite thread in all religions its uncanny.

The three big monotheistic religions: all absolute fountains of stupidity.

What's happening in Iran is a tragedy and I don't hold out much hope for change in the near future. Don't know what else there is to say ....

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

You cannot compare Islamic traiditions with regards to female rights to Christian ones. Yes, the new testament had some colouration to Islam with extreme measures againt womens rights but it has evolved today in the western world.

Islam is still only 500 years old, it has yet to evolve and they are still living off the koran/hadith doctrine - which they shouldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The sad thing is that I cannot see this ending in any other way than the protesters being slaughtered by the men with the guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Oh aye, pagan times, you say? Gwan share some new age bolloxology with us about that.

I wasnt comparing traditions with regards to female rights. I was judt being general in thst religion has been used as a means of controlling the masses (no pun intended)

Agreed, particularly in poor countries but Iran is not poor. They need to accept change and adapt, the UN will be allover this

As the OP pointed out its the conservative rural regime having the majority of control. I can see accepting change and taking advice from the west as going down like a lead balloon. Will be interestimg to see how it all pans out

When Mahsa Amini was pronounced dead, the government claimed they had nothing to do with it, UNTIL her CT scan was leaked and it became obvious that she died as a result of severe blows to her head, for lack of proper hijab.

You know what the government did next? To prove they didn't kill Mahsa, They started killing more people!!! This is the reality of how brutal the Islamic republic of IR is treating their citizens, specifically women.

Yes taking advise from the west may go down like a led balloon however people in Iran are begging everyone around the world to share the story of what is happening, using social media. Especially due to the internet blackout over there. A quick google, "what can I do to help the protesters in Iran" would likely provide many specific suggestions.

If we choose to do nothing, it is what it is, but it isn't true that there's nothing we can do. Share the news. Talk about Mahsa Amini. Trust me. We (the west) can help iran ALOT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah, you wouldn't get a "Christian country" imprisoning and abusing women without trial for alleged "immorality"

Oh wait.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement