Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

That's Thursday's report were now into Saturday.so that information is out for date ,no mention of grocery shopping either.

But numbers are higher than average...

So the claimed "Fake new " has being debunked,the fact Russians are queing to get into other countries...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

thread moved fast 503 posts could not read them all. what's happening with this ? pm if you like sounds very odd.

Is there a political leader of substance independent of US or Russian/Chinese influence that could work on a resolution to this crisis between both blocks?

"I am stunned," he said. "I don't understand. Why not give us an air defense system?"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Not so fast, grasshopper. :-)

Ireland imported $11b of food in 2020, while exporting $15b, so that's a net export of $4b.

Australia imported $14.5b of food in 2020, while exporting $34.25b, so that's a net export of $19.75b.

So in net agricultural exports per capita, it's Ireland with 0.78 and Australia with 0.77. That's pretty close to being even.

But we are talking food security and you don't eat US$, you eat calories. The Japanese Ministry of Agriculture has computed the relative production of the various classes of agricultural products in terms of calories per capita, and on that basis, Australia was way ahead of all other countries. The FAO had Australia third for food self sufficiency.

So, that's a yes by a country mile.

You are both right and wrong. There are grazing leases covering most of that seemingly empty interior. The carrying capacity of that sort of land is very low, so these leases are absolutely vast. I stayed on one owned by a family we knew. They owned four, I think. The one I stayed on was 523,351 acres in size, thats larger than Kilkenny. If in Ireland you ran 23 sheep per acre, there you would run 23 acres per sheep :-) Like most Stations, it had it's own small dirt airstrip and they had a small Cessna 172 and possibly another slightly larger model.

Yes, the vast majority of the population do live in a narrow strip near the coast, but the interior isn't all empty, uninhabited, and devoid of use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

This is not a 'dispute' between two countries. One country invaded the other without any provocation or warning and completely in breach of international law (with the regime that did the invading being a deeply corrupt dictatorship). Very hard to see how any intermediary could bring a halt to it.

Fair enough but it needs to end in peace. I agree Russia were way out of line here

Expect the Israelis to react angrilly and prove him right by complaning about his lack of gratitude for the 7 baskets of bandages, 16 cases of MREs and the 5 tents.

She's making a good case for a coup in China. it all could be ill health or something else, but there do seem to be signs of smoke.

That’s video I need at this hour to pass out, even better than Joe Pera

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I mean, they're sending people in to take over Ukraine. It could stop instantly if they were to leave. There's not really any middle ground when one country invades, murders, rapes, castrates your people and your country defends themselves. It's like negotiating with a rapist while he's raping your wife. I'm sorry to have used that metaphor again but that's exactly what these calls for peace are when they ignore the fact that an independent country is being invaded by their bigger neighbour.

I am not apologising for Russia. They invaded Ukraine in an unjust and unorganised fashion.

There was a war in the Donbas region for 8 years prior to it.

Massive destruction at Mariupol etc and for what?

Perhaps it could be argued that the US was over reaching in the area before this however a full scale invasion wasn’t the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

How was the us overeaching? Did they impose themselves on Ukraine without consent or something?

Pro Russians would have us believe that the Maidan revolution was entirely comprised of little green American men who caused all the trouble while the real Ukrainians stood peacfully by, asking each other who these stangers were, and that it was little green US snipers who actually shot dead protesters, to make it look like Lukashenko was a badie, when in fact he was desperately looking for the stairs to the roof so he could personally go up there and hurl these foreign snippers to their death. For some reason, he couldn't find the stairs so went somewhere else - quite a way, in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

Yes, that's why I included the Friday numbers (~12k) that were mentioned in the media. The facts are that the twitter pictures about "unprecedented" queues are not true. On Friday there were queues of about 200-300 metres.

Russians are leaving the country, and some of them cross the Finnish border.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

And all their trucks were painted military green...MAZ. KAMAZ etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

I respect your point of view and I'm pleased to see you have empathy for others. My position is that I judge people by their deeds, not their words.

"Silence is consent"

Choose from Plato, Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Pope Boniface VIII, whoever aligns best with your beliefs, but the meaning is the same.

By remaining silent in the past and by being silent now Russian citizens have given up any call upon my personal sympathies and should remain in Russia to restructure their society, or not, as they see fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Unfortunately, I do.

I grew up with a carreer soldier as a Dad, so have 1st hand experience of the mindset. A lovely man, still very much alive in his late 70's, still winning sharp-shooting competitions in gunclubs with his Lee Enfield and still riding around on him motorbike, but still has that career army mindset. He, like his current counterparts, want to go head to head with Russia for 2 reasons:

1. The World will be united against a common enemy, in an era when "purpose", or a sense of purpose has been lost over the last generation. As horrendous as war is, and words cannot describe it, many military folk and even government ministers across the world actually feel we NEED a war as a sort of reset. It will reset the status of all countries involved, it resets their economies ( which actually grow in proportion to production of weapons and associated materials), it resets the Imperalism of the US and it resets the mindset of those politicians, citizens and civil entities that have been going aimlessly from one week to the next with no real purpose. Remember, these are the opinions of soldiers, not mine, before you jump down my neck.

2. Putin has handed NATO and the West a one-time-only opportunity to expose its weaknesses for what they are and he has given the military leaders of the West a prime opportunity to test out, configure, tweak and develop hundreds of unproven or rarely tested military systems and hardware in a real-world situation without being directly involved with the enemy. This R+D circus is beyond priceless ( Russia is, of course, doing the same thing). You will see more and more "new weapons systems" being used for the 1st time the longer this goes on.

All Irish Soldiers, according to him, believe that Ireland should be in NATO and, in many ways that folks here do not realise, we are involved in NATO ( watching the landing rollout of 2 x C17's in Knock Airport recently with tonnes of room left for them to do a 360 on the runway where the wing-tips were not even over the grass) answered a few questions as to whether certain airports in the country were "over engineered "

Ireland is renowned across the world for its military training schools, especially the UN training college in the Curragh. Dad believes that when the conflict escalates, it will force Ireland to have a serious chat with itself about its tiny military budget and its standing as one of, if not the, most strategically important country in Europe.

And, in Dad's opinion, escalate it will. He firmly believes that this conflict will morph into WW3. There is fear among governments out there. Just look at what's happening right now in China and Iran.

Citizens are starting to see that, hang on a second, the Emperor isn't wearing any clothes!

They have realised that governments and autocratic leaders are only people. Not to be feared.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭jackboy

Could Putin be rounding up minorities to use at the front as human shields. It would make Ukraine and the west look terrible to massacre thousands of poorly armed minorities. It would be a new low for Putin but he is probably capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

About as reliable as your source for the arrest of Xi Jinping. People in glass houses....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

That it was likely to be a false rumour was quickly apparent from the combination of source and poster...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

This would probably be the case, if he hadn't went ahead and put them in his army.

You wear the uniform, your the enemy, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Must be great to have such an astute clairvoyant in the family with such a clear and expert view of what will play out…..however it’s just one ‘expert dad’s’ opinion,

what’s his view on the escalation to a nuclear ☢️ exchange….is that something to be salivating about…..

It’s amazing how common these ‘dads the expert types’ are, listening to the same opinion since a little boy and become convinced of their papa’s astuteness and opinions without even realising it……’well my dads always said……’ and add the topic/subject.

Post edited by Asdfgh2020 on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

Nice story for in a pub ........ or at the gun club... Also nice to hear that apparently NATO and your dad are drooling by the prospect of war with Russia ... again only confirming that you have no idea what actual war is

He is rounding up minorities ... he cannot sell mobilising to many people from petersburg and Moscow. Plus these people have a strange skin color and funny eyes which according to Putin is not how Russians should look, Throwing them in the meatgrinder in Ukraine solves that problem for him as well

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I don’t think it would make one iota of difference. Russia are hardly going to start publishing a breakdown of the ethnic demographics of their war dead.

The US was encouraging neighbouring nations to join nato. As the conflict has shown, the Russian military is incompetent. Was there really a need to provoke them.

To be fair the shear incompetence of the russian Army only came to show after they invaded Ukraine. The only country to blame for factual NATO expansion is Russia itself, basically provoking Finland and Sweden to join after they invaded Ukraine. and by doing so adding 1100km of border to defend

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

Why are you parroting properly debunked Russian propaganda about NATO provocation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭XsApollo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement