Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licensee renting troubles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭newmember2

In the OPs case the property is leased to the tenant - full stop. A licencee is there by invitation of the tenant and has no arrangement whatsoever with the leaser. Their arrangement is with the tenant whether they pay for their stay or not and has nothing to do with the contract between the tenant and landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Part 4 rights are the most important consideration in the whole scenario.

If any one of the current tenants do not have part 4 rights, the landlord can simply issue that individual a notice of termination of their tenancy for no reason. If none of them have part 4 rights, any or all of them could be issued termination notices.

If any of the existing tenants have part 4 rights they could exercise those rights, remain a tenant and invite anyone as a licensee (even one of the just made ex-tenants). The landlord would have to be notified who the regular occupants were but cannot simply veto having a licensee unless it breaks one of the reasons provided for in the act e.g. unsuitability due to overcrowding....

The number of tenants is exactly the number in the tenancy agreement, no more, no less. Taking in a licensee does not change the number of tenants or the tenancy agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You need to read the op, there are other tenants. John is not the only tenant. Clearly the LL let to a set number of tenants and there is a lease agreement outlining this. John is breaching the agreement by bringing in an additional person.

Again, for the umpteenth time, please show me the legislation that supports your view that a lease agreement cannot state the number of people allowed to occupy the property. We are not talking about a short term guest, the op plans to live there, and wants tenancy rights.

All this means **** all, John doesn’t have Part 4 rights yet, unless there is a fixed term lease, which LLs don’t include anymore because they mean **** all, the LL can terminate the lease and throw all out.

And there in lies the crux, the op has not stated he/she is replacing and existing tenant, the op is an extra one (see the reference to more money for additional tenant).

I think we can all agree Threshold is biased in favour of tenants, when even they tell the op that John could be evicted for breaching the lease, you know the op is the wrong side of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Show where it is unlawful? There is no need to prove what you are doing is unlawful, The onus is to prove it is unlawful.

• Advertisement

The lease agreement is a binding contract. You show me where there is an entitlement for the tenants to breach it.

Again we are going in circles here. The lease agreement is binding within the constraints of the law. You cannot intoduce or have a term in the lease that violates the law or is proven to be non enforceable.

The right to have exclusive use of a property once you rent it by my understanding allows you to have guests or licencees on the property and the landlord can do diddly squat about it.

What law does it violate? You haven’t shown it yet.

If a rental agreement states the property occupancy is limited to a certain number of people, and the tenants sign that agreement, show me the law that entitles the tenants to breach that agreement.

The tenants have exclusive use of the property, nothing has changed that, but the op does not gain that right as he/she is an additional tenant, not a replacement, and their occupancy breaches Johns agreement with the LL.

As I posted earlier, when Threshold, an agency which is tenant focused tells the op that John is in breach of his rental agreement and can be evicted, the op is on the wrong side of this argument.

But the OP is not an extra tenant. They are a licensee. The number of tenants remains unchanged and the tenancy agreement remains unchanged.

The problem is that if John ( the longest standing tenant ) does not have part 4 rights yet the landord can just throw a strop and issue termination notices to any or all the tenants, unless the tenancy agreement John sined or the current tenancy agreement John and his brother signed included a fixed term clause of six months or more.

OP needs to have someone who knows tenancy law look at John's original tenancy agreement and the current tenancy agrement for John and his brother and take all the circumstances into account and get solid advice.

No matter how well intentioned posters here are we only have a partial picture of the situation.

As can be seen from here. The situation is a bit murky and as a landlord myself I would just advise anyone considering renting a whole property to either do it on a room by room basis or else forget about it and sell and get out.

• Advertisement

Good to know the law is interpreted and understood by someone else but me.

Would you please read the op.

Where does it say a tenant has left? The op wants to be an extra occupant, and has informed the LL that he/she wants to be a tenant, has offered additional rent above the rental agreement to be so, but the LL, quite rightly in keeping with RPZ and to keep everything “above board” has refused this.

I agree that we may not be getting the full picture, but the fact remains, there is nothing precluding the LL from having a set number of occupants on the lease agreement, nothing to stop the tenants agreeing to that when signing the lease, nothing that makes that lease agreement non binding, and no entitlement in law for the tenants who signed that contract to breach that agreement by taking in more occupants.

If you know that there is legislation that entitles John to take in more occupants than agreed in the lease, post it. Nothing you or any other poster has posted has shown that entitlement. We all know what a licensee is, they have no more rights than a guest, but that does not mean, despite what snowcat has posted, that a tenant can take one in if it breaches the term relating to the number of occupants in the lease.

Two people who are wrong doesn’t make them right.

@Dav010 Nothing in any of the OP's posts indicates a tenant has left. Similarly none of my posts or arguments indicate or are based on any premise that a tenant has left.

Nothing in any of the OP's posts indicates the OP has engaged in anything more than a hypothetical exercise to consider why the landlord might not accept additional rent if it were offered. Nothing indicates that an actual offer of more rent was made or that the landlord actually refused such an offer.

Nothing in any of the OP's posts indicates there is any clause placing an artificial limit on the number of occupants allowed in the property by John and John's brother's tenancy agreement.

I explained in some detail in an earlier post, how such an artificial limit, in the absence of a reason provided for in the RTA, would be in breach of sections 12, 16 and 18 of the RTA and therefore unenforceable.

Section 18 of the RTA precludes signing away any rights, including as I explained in the same earlier post, in the absence of other permitted reasons, the right to guest(s) and / or licensee(s).

In this instance having three people in a three bedroom house, two tennants and one licensee, would not appear to provide any other permitted reason.

Tenants can sign whatever they want in a tenancy agreement but if any terms are contrary to the provisions of the RTA they are non binding.

Exactly. You can have any clause you like in a lease be it landlord or tenant but if presently or even in future those clauses are contrary to RTA they are none binding.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Smoke420meme

No tenant has left, I am not replacing anyone. John is the tenant, I am John's licencee. The contract is a year long fixed term contract and does state that:

Not to assign or sublet, part with possession of the property, or let or allow any other person live at the property without the Landlord's written consent and to pay to the Landlord any reasonable costs or expenses incurred in deciding this request whether consent is granted or refused.

Not to receive paying guests, or carry on, or permit to be carried on, any business, trade or profession on or from the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

If John's signed lease says the above, then he can't take in extra people regardless. Simple

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Smoke420meme

I think someone said before that legislation over rules the lease. That could be wrong though, but I would believe that you can have stipulations in a lease that are unlawful. If legislation says that if you are a tenant and can have guests stay in your house, then it doesn't matter what a lease says and the RTB would side with whoever was on the right side of the law, if it came down to a LL dispute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

You can't get less rights via a lease. You can't take away rights. However there is no right to bring in other people to your accommodation. So the lease is allowed to say you can't do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,936 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Indeed. The lease cannot say "no guests".

But this is not a guests question. It's a sub-tenant one. And every lease I've ever seen says none of those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭DFB-D

I think this is best left to legal advice, leases are complicated enough even without the RTA.

Just a remark on the lease text above, the majority of it reads correctly and was more than likely written by a solicitor, except the part after "or let or allow", it looks like an addition as it reads poorly.

I would be extremely cautious about trying to enforce such a term, personally I don't think it is enforceable as per the legal advice I received, but also why would the RTA state that the landlord has the right to be informed of persons residing in the property/ cannot refuse licences to become tenants without good reason, if they can put such terms regarding licences in the lease? From my experience of tax legislation, I would be looking for decided cases before relying on it!

Anyway OP, I think none of this is relevant to you as part 4 does not apply yet, but it was interesting!

18.—(1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), no provision of any lease, tenancy agreement, contract or other agreement (whether entered into before, on or after the commencement of this Part) may operate to vary, modify or restrict in any way section 12 or 16 .

Not simple. And as one poster, as a landlord, was advised by their solicitor when drawing up tenancy agreement would be contrary to the RTA.

As the OP has clarified although John is not there six months yet, and therefore does not have part four rights, the lease has a fixed term of one year so the landlord cannot just decide to break that fixed term condition. It is as binding on the landlord as it is on John.

As I see it John (and now his brother also) has security of tenancy for a least a year, after six months of which he will have part four rights. They are jointly renting the whole dwelling. Not allowing a licensee would interfere with their right to peaceful enjyoyment of the dwelling and any such restriction in the tenancy agreement is unlawful and unenforcable.

I were the OP I would get solid legal advice before thinking of moving out. I believe the landlord is overreaching themselves in this instance. The OP does not have to be added to the lease (yet) but as I see it there is nothng to stop him being a licensee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭dennyk

Not allowing a licensee would interfere with their right to peaceful enjyoyment of the dwelling

What law or precedent suggests that allowing a licensee to live in the property would be an intrinsic part of a tenant's "peaceful and exclusive occupation of the dwelling"?

The law, under section 12 of the RTA, requires that the tenant notify in writing the landlord of the identity of each person (other than a multiple tenant) who, for the time being, resides ordinarily in the dwelling.

The landlord is looking for the right to approve or disapprove each person. That is an additional restriction and would be contrary to section 18 of the act.

18.—(1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), no provision of any lease, tenancy agreement, contract or other agreement (whether entered into before, on or after the commencement of this Part) may operate to vary, modify or restrict in any way section 12 or 16.

Post edited by FishOnABike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

There is nothing to stop the LL having an no subletting or bring in people without permission and as he's only there a few months the LL could just give notice to quit. Your only way to come out of this is for the LL to also win, you make it about you winning and LL losing then it's house back please and re rent to a better tenant

There is nothing to stop the LL having an no subletting or bring in people without permission

There is - RTA section 18.—(1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), no provision of any lease, tenancy agreement, contract or other agreement (whether entered into before, on or after the commencement of this Part) may operate to vary, modify or restrict in any way section 12 or 16.

as he's only there a few months the LL could just give notice to quit.

OP has clarified John (and his brother) have a fixed one year term in their tenancy agreement, so the LL giving them notice to quit is not an option.

The LL isn't losing. They are renting the property and they are receiving rent for the property. The LL has no right to micro-manage tenants lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

This is ridiculous. No, the lease doesn’t override a tenants rights but where does it say a tenant has the right to move in whoever they want without the LL’s consent? ’Peaceful and exclusive’ occupation does not mean you can do whatever the f*** you want with the place.

See this article in the Irish Times:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/my-tenant-is-subletting-without-my-agreement-what-can-i-do-1.4421254

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭DFB-D

I was surprised that the author didn't know what subletting means but then it was written by the person below.

Kersten Mehl is a chartered residential agency surveyor and member of the Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland

Weird person to be providing the answer, it would be similar to me writing the answer because I am member of Chartered Accountants Ireland and the Irish Tax Institute.

I had a look today at the RTB website, any case I looked at where breach of lease was mentioned was for non payment of rent, does anyone know of a relevant case here?

housey, there is nothing for you here.

The same ridiculous cut and paste keeps being trotted out. There is no term in sections 12 or 16, which deal with the obligations of landlords and tenants which entitles a tenant to add more occupants, or requires a Landlord to accept more occupants than agreed in the lease.

I asked numerous times for a link to a term in the RTA which over rides the contract in this matter, none was forthcoming, sections 12 and 16 certainly do not state that a contract is illegal because it states the number of paying occupants allowed to occupy the property, and enforcing the lease agreement, which the tenant signed does not diminish the tenant’s peaceful existence.

As I posted earlier, when Threshold sides with a LL in a tenancy dispute, you know the tenant is on the wrong side of the argument.

Let it go, the poster you are responding to will just keep reposting the same ill informed interpretation of the RTA.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be inclined to take advice from someone who doesn't appear to know the difference between subletting and a licensee either.

Advertisement