Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Housefree

How would the US react if Russia imposed a leader in Mexico? Would they be ok with Russian arms on their border? Where was Cuban sovereignty when they wanted to put Russian arms on their country. It's do as I say not as I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

That phrase you (and the Russian administration) keep using isn’t nearly as clever as you think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I'm inclined to agree at least in part with your dad. My father went off for service in WW2 and my grandfathers both enlisted and fought in WW1. I've often pondered that my generation have been lucky to escape a major European conflict as regardless of what we think of the evils of war - we would be dragged into it by societal pressure.

But and it has to be said, looked at coldly, we have a lot of fat in the system collected over the last 50+years. War has been and is a reset for society, it obliges people to make hard choices and value what is important. Put glibly, war cleans out / kills a lot of what are otherwise a drain on society, the weak, ill and elderly and those young men mostly who live blighted useless lives fueled by drugs. It gives purpose as you say, even if that purpose results in a lot of misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

This post inspired me to go back and read the first page. So, the first few posts are unremarkable and the thread was quickly forgotten about. Last November, a full five months later it's resurrected and then immediately WHAM, the Putin admirers arrive. Funnily enough you don't see too many of those posters (who aren't banned) post here anymore.

If, as it seems like, Russia is overly targeting East Russia minorities will China be okay with this? If I was XI I’d roll a few tanks closer to the open goal that is the Russian border and say, ‘nice country you got there, shame if anything were to happen to it’.

Might make Putin change his mind about sending ethnic Chinese into the meat grinder that is facing Increasingly NATO level weapons with WW1 rifles and increasingly poor “command” structure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

I referred to self delusion fact regard to your posting yesterday. Here it is again.

Elected is not imposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

How would the US react if Russia imposed a leader in Mexico?

I suppose whatever they would have done wouldn't involve mass graves full of executed civilians, including children.

And in any case, the Ukrainian leader was democratically elected and there were no NATO troops ever in Ukraine so your fantasy is just that, a russian apologist whataboutery fantasy

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Food secure by whose metric though, that's the question?

Do we have any significant heavy industry production? Can we say, for example, produce tractors? Or raw materials for spare parts, like oil based products ie: rubber for tyres, plastic etc. Can we produce enough fertilizer?

The list is practically endless. If we have to overly rely on outside assistance for these things, then you cannot really say our agriculture sector is self reliant. We're food secure based on current conditions.

I'm not referring to current conditions however, when I suggest that we are a highly vulnerable nation.

And despite our economic capabilities, because our political system consistently creates terrible leaders, we are highly vulnerable to poor decision making from these leaders. Hence why our nation went bankrupt, despite having so many apparent economic advantages on our side.

You cannot escape the consequences of bad leadership, no matter what area of society it's in.

one would hope the above post is enough to get a one way ticket to posting privileges in the conspiracy forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ukraine has been pivoting away from Russia for 20 years, first with the Orange Revolution and then Maidan. You're saying that the US is installing leaders in Ukraine, when it's pretty clear that the grassroots in Ukraine has been striving to escape the Russian sphere of influence for decades. If you're a Ukrainian, especially a young one, the choice is stark - be a part of the CSTO countries which are authoritarian, corrupt, socially regressive and economically stagnant, or be a part of the EU and the West with the prosperity and opportunity that entails. It's a fairly easy choice. Unfortunately, it's something Russia cannot handle. Well, here's a bit of truth for you - until Russia stops being such a shít country (vs what it could be), it's going to keep losing friends and partners. As the saying goes - don't go chasing butterflies, but rather tend to your own garden.

Now, as for the USA trying to invade countries like Cuba whose populations didn't want them there, that was wrong. It's about as simple as that. Similarly, the population of Ukraine do not welcome Russian soldiers, so it's time for them to go home. They will go home, but would they like to go back upright or horizontal? Talkative or taciturn?

• Advertisement

But you do see them, they have reregistered. There were 7 or 8 regular posters over the last decade who always sprouted Russian propaganda. Their decade of lies here can be quoted and shown to be lies, so instead of continuing to post under the old names where their lies can be resurrected and thrown in their faces I suspect they reregistered since February.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They would laugh at how hilarious the attempt was (and it would be hilarious given how disastrously all russians attempt at anything is going these days).

There is no one as dumb as trump in Mexico, so they would happily take the money and putin would get zilch in return bar maybe a new pair of high heel boots as a thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

It won't make the west or Ukraine look bad at all. Even thousands of poorly armed minorities need to be dealt with if they're invading your country intent on killing your people. Putin will look bad for using them as cannon fodder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

If this is the quality of equipment some of the first wave of 300,000 are getting

You wonder what the next round might get

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

We're pretty food secure in the medium term in an emergency, Irish people won't starve unless we allow Irish produced food to be exported while imports are restricted

We have plenty of farm machinery that won't all immediately break down, and there are thousands of tractors and plenty of spare parts in forecourts and warehouses around the country

If the emergency became a chronic shortage we'd be in trouble, but by that time we'd begin adapting our expectations and reallocating resources towards providing essentials

You and he are severely underestimating that weapon. Will make an excellent club… at least one or twice before disintegrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

There might be some percusson cap muskets left over from the Crimean War. Or maybe some flintlocks from 1812.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's an AK some time spent cleaning and oiling and it's still a very capable killing machine

Have you started to read any of the rubbish link dumbs you post yet. You admitted yesterday that you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

When the Ukrainian president was replaced by a US-selected administration, in an entirely unconstitutional takeover

Such wording makes it sound all very undemocratic like the US removed Viktor Yanukovych and then hand picked Petro Poroshenko as President of a puppet government.

That's misleading is it not.

Yes it's true that there are questions over the legitimacy of Viktor Yanukovych leaving office, however, many seem to forget that he actually abandoned office before resigning as President first which initiated the whole process, it was only when he decided he wasn't leaving after officially resigning that he was voted out by the Ukrainian Parliament (either way the US didn't oust him), and yes there may have been some behind the scenes meddling by the Obama administration, who knows, but the people of Ukraine democratically voted Petro Poroshenko into office, he wasn't "US-selected".

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@Housefree . No Russian will be cold this winter..

Tens of thousands of Russians will be cold ,

cold in the ground 🪦🪦🪦

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

I wonder why Russia doesn't appear to have lost ALL their friends, though?

You could actually argue that they've held onto the most important ones in the Eurasia region.

In fact, there are quite a lot of nations out there, while not supporting or endorsing Russia's actions, they do seem far less outraged than many of the western nations around this war.

Also, I think it's a very interesting point regarding geopolitics, to ask the question what would the west do if any of these nations became more friendly with Russia or China etc? What would America do, if Mexico decided to become communist and cozy up with China?

Some people probably consider it a mute point, because we're unlikely to ever find out. But then many Russians probably feel the same way about Ukraine, because they will never allow it to be controlled or backed by the west. The idea of Ukraine cozying up to America is every bit as unpalatable to your average Russian as Mexico doing the same with China.

And it's not about what we think tbf... if Russians think that the yanks in particular, are interfering with Ukraine, then they will fight pretty damn hard to prevent it from happening. (regardless of whether it's actually true or not)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Yes, while everyone's preferred outcome was for russia not to invade with their next preferred outcome to be russia retreating with their tail between the legs.

In the absence of russia doing anything honorable.

Then yes, the next best thing is that the western equipment built to efficiently kill enemy troops while keeping their own troops safe, be used by ukrainians to defend their home country accordingly and as efficiently as possible to put as many invaders out of action as possible.

You, of course, agree with that assessment? That russia should toddle away and get working on fixing their broken economy?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

The more arms the US pumps into Ukraine the more dead on both sides

No, actually it's the opposite. If russians are allowed to advance there will be more mass graves, so helping Ukrainians with arms and intel and resources actually saves lives. In the areas they occupy there will be ethnic cleansing like they did it many times before, so this kind of peace and appeasement should not be an option.

And while US are no angels, certainly they are no evil scum like the russians, so please stop. And even if they were, it doesn't matter now, it's of no consequence to what happens in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

You're 100% right.

I find this is the best way to treat bad-faith posters such as this:

(That's how posts appear when you add someone to your Ignore list - you can find it on your profile page)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Its so simple, russia started this war, its the one threatening nuclear war. This ends when russia stops threatening and stops the war.

Russia is not up against the UN or other countries, just ukraine. A country getting material from other countries, russia is doing the same. But its russia threading a very thin line, cross it and it will be crushed. Putin knows this, its why he's doing what he is currently doing, sending ill equipped and non trained poor unfortunates to their deaths. The russian people will eventually snap and rise up. Now toddle off and make your report to your supervisor, comrade.

• Advertisement

That's one option, the other is to ridicule the poor quality content of their posts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement