Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Jaap de hoop scheffer.

Nato’s promise to one day admit Ukraine into the fold was an “ugly compromise”, but was not to blame for the threat of conflict with Russia, the military’s alliance’s former secretary-general has said. Jaap de Hoop Scheffer, who as head of Nato declared in 2008 that Ukraine “will become a member”, told the Financial Times that Vladimir Putin’s demands for the alliance to abandon that pledge was a false pretext for the Russian president’s “revanchist crusade”.

"Jaap de Hoop Scheffer, who as head of Nato declared in 2008 that Ukraine “will become a member”

This too at the NATO summit in 2008

NATO announced its support for the territorial integrity, independence and sovereignty of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia and Moldova

No its a product of Russias interference in Ukraine by using hybrid warfare,Einstein

Ask yourself why Wagner group,night wolves,Russian orthodox army,russian national unity and unmarked spetznas was doing there and maybe you are able to see the big picture

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

Yes, a Frenchwoman can produce Russian propaganda. Just as an Irishman Lord Haw Haw produced NAZI propaganda, just as you (Irish?) regurgitate and spew Russian propaganda.

It doesnt matter if you have the biggest reserves in the world if theres no infrastructure in place

1/3 of Russias GDP is based on selling oil and gas

And these are pipelines thats been around since the soviet era going to Europe.

You obviously cant see the bigger picture

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ten years ago I knew a Ukrainian woman and I asked about her country, as you do, as I had little knowledge of it. I knew way more about Russia and the USSR as I found the place interesting. Anyhoo, she described that part of the country like the North of Ireland on steroids or words to that effect. She had Russian relatives on one side of her family and in the rest of Ukraine that was pretty much a so what, but in Donbas it was far more polarised along nationalist lines on both sides. When later on post 14 I read of the conflicts there it didn't exactly come as a surprise. Nor did stories of sectarian nastiness on both sides*.

Have Ukrainian nationalists been vicious pricks in Donbas and with government collusion on top? Bloody right they have been. Did they have a "nazi" problem? Yes they did. Our media especially the easily wound up media looking for the rise of their Far Right boogyman were only too quick to report on it. Until this war when they got collective amnesia. However the Russians also have a "nazi" problem, also widely reported and Russia was supporting their vicious pricks in Donbas.

Most of all it was Russia who invaded Ukraine, not the other way around. It was Russia who sought to cut the head off the Ukrainian government(where nazi support had dwindled so much they couldn't even get a single seat). It was Russia who wanted to install a mewling puppet like Lukashenko. It was Russia who went for a landgrab to increase their land, resources and coastline. It was Russia who has caused the refugee crisis and the tens of thousands of injuries and deaths, not least among their own. And it's Russia that continues to double down on causing more death and mayhem.

There can be two sides in any neighbour dispute. Right up until the moment when one neighbour decides to kick in the door and try burning down the other neighbour's house.

*I also noticed something else around that time. I knew a few Russians, Ukrainians and Belarusians living here and they hung out together. Pre 2014. Post 2014 that started to change with the Ukrainians fading out and the Belarusians and Russians together in their own group. Another thing I noticed as a general thing was both Russians and Belarusians were much more prickly about any criticisms of their respective countries. An odd mix of pride and insecurity, not unlike us actually. Ukrainians were far more open about their internal problems, particularly corruption. They were also generally more "liberal" and "western" in outlook. Now this was of course a small sample size and they'd be in their 40's now so an older generation who remembered the 90's, which was a watershed for many across the defunked Soviet Union, but I did find it interesting. Especially now with the benefit of hindsight.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

@Run Forest Run

"The Russians are highly unlikely to tuck tail and scamper away like the yanks in Vietnam, because they will have to live with the consequences of that decision in their backyard for the rest of time."

What consequences? Ukraine wasn't threatening Russia. The only consequence, as @Wibbs points out, is Ukraine looking prosperous and progressive comapared to backward, stifled, piss-poor Russia. In a scenario where Russia has finally been driven from Ukrainian soil it wouldn't get any say in what alliances or trading blocs Ukraine joined, or how Ukraine ran its society or its economy. The Ukrainians could have gay marriages on the border with the guests mooning the Russian border guards if they wanted. The Russians could bitch and moan all they liked, and they could invade again if they fancied it, but future Ukraine would be a lot more ready for them than even 2022 Ukraine was.

Russia has a lot of growing up and catching up to do, and has no right to expect other nations to fall in line with its national macho delusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Where did I say Russia had the right to invade Ukraine?

Where does "right" come into it though?

We know that powerful nations like to exert their influence/dominance over other (usually weaker) nations.

That's the reality of the world we are living in. And Russia are not in some exclusive club in this regard either. They're just the latest one to start flexing their muscles. And of course, the west knew that Russia might very well take this action. It's not like it came as a complete surprise, as they have been warning people about it for almost 3 decades now.

Many experts warned that this situation was brewing for quite a long time actually. Historians and analysts will probably debate if more could have been done to prevent it, for many years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If this were true, it would suggest that they plan to exterminate the Ukrainian population.

• Advertisement

In the scenario I was referring to, Russia would have tried to exert its influence/dominence and failed, so what Russia would and wouldn't be prepared to accept wouldn't amount to a fart in a high wind.

I have my own insights having lived in Czech republic for several years, There were many Ukrainian immigrants there and as with your experience very open about talking about their issues. Northern Ireland on steroids is apt but I always got the feeling that it was due to malevolent external Russian interference.

Most Ukrainians (perhaps all) I met could also speak Russian, there as no (major) religious divide and intermarriage was commonplace (in fact there is a greater religous divide in Western Ukraine between Rutheran and Ortodox). Notwithstanding the fact that Northern Ireland does not have the language divide, the two communities in the North did not intermarry to the same extent, and culturally (mainly sport) the divide was greater. The singular difference appears to me is that the British government do not seek to divide in order to plunder the assets through associated criminal enterprise, and arm the loyalist community to that end nor have they sought to extend the conflict or interfere in Irish democratic process. So yes it was Northern Ireland on steriods but due more to the intentions of the Moscow government then local intentions.

In addition I have a cousin married to a Belarussian man and living here. He is from a collective farm family, one of those families who were legally enslaved by the Belarussian state under the law reintroducing the system of Serfdom. He has been saving for several years in order to bribe the collective farm manager to legally release his younger brother from the Serfdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

Correct ... ugly compromise because of US last minute changes to the text .... Not me saying this but the former security general in interviews in Dutch media after the Russian invasion in Ukraine. He provided an interesting insight in behind the scenes diplomacy.

Looks at the statements from the government and official propaganda over the last number of months, it was all about dehumanizing and demonizing the population of Ukraine a country that doesn't exist,the language doesn't exist, they shouldnt exist ,

they are all baby eating nazis .

Some on here have bought into it spectacularly,we can name them on this thread.

But if you mention Russians getting hurt they get all upset and start reporting posts

But it wasn't just bush coming out and randomly dropping Ukraine to NATO,it as discussed from 91/92 onwards .

Putin himself was at the 2008 nato summit and raised no public complaints and never mentioned red lines being crossed,,

But he later attacked and annexed part of Georgia and repeated the same stunt in Ukraine twice now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Looks like a tradeshow machine running a demo producing bags. People just post videos without any thinking.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Anne Laure Bonnell objective? You have got to be having a laugh Ted. Oh she's loved by the Russian spin machine and outlets like RT and if you watch her documentaries as I have in the past she's clearly shadowed by "advisors" when she's out and about filming her spin. There are a couple of similar "independent" westerners reporting on the Russian side with similar narratives and handlers in tow. You'll be linking to shills like the Duran next. Or one of those autistic yanks in Thailand shilling for Mother Russia.

Now the Ukrainians are bloody good at spin themselves, however there are also significantly more journalists from across the west and beyond reporting from the Ukrainian side and there have been a few strong criticisms too, like the horrors found by the BBC in a couple of Ukrainian orphanages. You see nothing like this on the Russian side. No BBC/Reuters/AP/DW/LeMonde/Al Jazeera etc reporters to be seen. Never mind actual independents looking for a story that sells and a different narrative would sell. The Russians have claimed they're open to such reporting but when reporters tried to get in there's always some excuse. Even a couple of youtubers tried, like Willy Beating cancer, an ex Aussie military guy who's been reporting on the Ukraine side and not too rosily at times either. He's been quite clear that all is not Slava Ukraine we're winning easily! He tried to get the Russian side, even if it meant, as it would, the Ukrainians would ban him from Ukraine for good if he did and again a flat nope.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

With a machine made in Germany...

PS they're too small and of the wrong type to be bodybags.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

In the Russian view of the big/little nation power dynamic, larger nations simply exert their dominance on smaller ones. Of course Russian machismo would overlook the following point which is that this dynamic is much more sustainable when the smaller nations are actively allying themselves with the larger nations, being drawn by the economic opportunity and military protection. It's not strictly one way. There's soft power involved in the equation as well -something Russia is ignoring. I'm not surprised that Russia is trying to flex it's muscle about the situation, but it must be coming as a nasty surprise to Putin that the muscles aren't up to much. Two week tops to get to Kyiv... (sad trombone).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Housefree

Patrick Lancaster reporting from the referendum areas, this guy is insane, he's had a few close calls in some of his vids

More happening on the de-industrializing of Germany

Job losses, energy crisis, refugee influx. No wonder Germany is training their riot police for the winter

Will this book be in the fiction or non fiction section of my local library?

Back in the real world, Russia ARE exerting their influence over Ukraine. And the west has thus far failed to put an end to it. (despite all their bluster and bravado)

There will be plenty of historians who will likely debate how successful their strategies are/were against Russia. But so far, it would have to be regarded as a failure. Some would probably consider it a failure of western foreign policy, that this war ever even started in the first place. (but that will of course be a hotly debated topic)

Their efforts, so far, to bring this war to a speedy conclusion - have failed to meet that objective! So as we stand right now, Russia have succeeded in preventing Ukraine from becoming a western controlled nation. (as they would see it)

If western strategies against Russia produce a stalemate, then that's how things will remain indefinitely. Russia don't really have to win decisively, in order to get what they want. They only really have to avoid a decisive defeat.

I am just paraphrasing what he said .... Putin changed after that summit ... Bush and his admin went rogue is basically what he said... with Condoleeza Rice saying to him before the meeting " you are not going to like this"

Ohhhhh dear ,

How much shite can one individual post

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

This was a Nato decision, publicised months in advance, putin knew it was being discussed at the summit,

There was no jack in the box surprise

Let him

It's good for a nice Saturday afternoon laugh and greatly increases my bowel movements at the same time

According to his statements during the interview you are incorrect

As you quoted yourself... It was an ugly compromise

Meanwhile in Russia you cannot buy a car with a seatbelt. Yawn!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Housefree

Live reporting from the area compared to your Xi Jinping is under house arrest

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement