Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe electric, would they certify electrical work

Options
  • 21-09-2022 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine self built a house extension and rewired the existing house as well as wiring the extension.

He needs to get the work certified and I am wondering would Safe electric Ireland inspect the work and certify it for a fee.

All electrical work can be easily accessed for inspection.

Appreciate any advice or recommendations. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

No not safe electric themselves. They are a sedentary crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I had elecric supply cut off .eg esb said. Meter was too old and out of date I got new meter installed by elecrician a. Then I looked up recci certified electrician. Also cost 100 euro to fit new earth rod. Connect to to new meter

I think I paid electrician b recci member to inspect the meter. Test it and send in certificate to esb networks. Paid electrician b 400 euro .total cost 1,200, eg I went to elecrical wholesaler. and bought the new meter myself. As far as I know only electricians reci members can complete cert or registered electrical contractors can complete a cert

My work was done about 8 years ago .

Eg he did no work apart from plugging into meter with device maybe 10 mins work eg he did not fit or install the meter or remove the old one

Look on www.safeelectric.ie for more detailed info

I built extension with friend. He did all the wiring 40x14 in size wiring c c connected. To main consumer unit in 4th house. Side extension built 2012

beside house. I cant remember if he needed an electrical cert like in 2012,

Extension was inspected by local authority and it was applied for in the normal way

Im not sure I heard all meters are being replaced with digital modern models in the next year or two. But thats another issue

It would probably cost more to get a cert in 2022

I was only dealing with esb networks and the 2 electricans I employed

The system might be different now

The website says only Rec Registered conctractors can carry out electrical work and provide a cert

The cert is required to connect new wiring. Meters etc to the electrical network

I think in 2012 there were reci and eccsa registered electricans

Google Rec eletricians contractors in your area

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JL spark

Only way safe electric will inspect your friends work is to employ a reci electrician and do a change on contractor ,

this will get expensive quick ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

It wasn’t a rec that did the work in the first place

it’s not permitted to certify someone else’s work

no reputable rec will put his name to this.

it’ll have to be redone from scratch

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JL spark

You can as a registered electrician do a change of contractor, safe electric take a payment from the owner of property,

safe electric then give the electrical contractor the go ahead to inspect the work , fix any thing that’s not regs , or as I have done a few times , pull it all out and start again , a inspector will then come and inspect that job because of the change of contractor

• Advertisement

. I’m really surprised because only a rec can work in a domestic installation. Tho op doesn’t say a rec is involved originally so I don’t think that’s the case here with a change of contractor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

It was not a Rec that did the work to date, unfortunately. So I am unsure what is the best way to resolve the issue. The person who did the work is competent and from what I can see the work is done to a high standard and is fully compliant other than not being installed by a certified electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Unfortunately, no RECI/ECCSA electrician in his right mind would certify that work.

Safe electric could prosecute him for doing it. It’s restricted work. It’ll have to be redone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Thanks for all the advice and info. I'm not hugely surprised but thought I might be able to find a solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭monseiur

Not wishing to hijack OP's tread but instead of starting a new tread ... Got a reci electrician to fit a new consumer unit and rewire all the sockets in my house some years ago. (House was originally wired in 1960's)

The electrician was Polish and completed the work just before the Christmas break, he went home for xmas but for some reason never returned (much to the suprise of his employer) so I never got any certs etc. He was employed for over 7 years by a big company and used to do side line jobs like mine at weekends etc. How do I go about getting the necessary certs for ESB ? If I was to get another electrician in to rewire all the lights in house, by that I mean replace all cables, switches etc. would he be ''allowed'' to inspect and certify work done by the Polish lad and certify the whole job.

No he shouldn’t have done this work in the first place

no reputable company will touch this

chances are that distribution board is the wrong height anyway

or the socket heights

did he install new mains cables or upgrade the earthing which are regulations with a distribution board upgrade

”sideline jobs”= nixer merchant

it’ll all have to be redone and certified by a rec

Advertisement