Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know where we're going, but we know where we are? (Part whatever)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not going nowhere nohow! Been and am back.. Glorious autumn morning so out I went, jug and bag in hand, and a more lovely and fruitful amble along the lanes, pausing to gaze at the ocean, there never was, and still abundant berries,, YAY!

AND as a bonus, met my neighbour the ferryman and his brother on their way to the pier to bring folk over. So we had a really good chat. Catching up on island news. We are a very small community. I promised them jam, of course, as every year, and then we bargained for 30 sacks of their good island turf.. They know how well I prepare for the winter and admire it. This place is HOME.

All ready here; two full tanks of gas... coal, and more paid ahead before the price rockets... and so much free ESB...

Just a really lovely start to the day. Happy I am. And my travels are over .. Just my feet to return to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Have a head cold.

Took some lemsip last night and had weird dreams. Great stuff 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Free ESB?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Time to carefully extricate myself from bed. Make coffee for wife, do some physio..

So, I dreamt the neighbour had replaced his roof and our roof with a roof made from solar panels.

And he kicked us out of our house.

Feeling crappy.

Cold + no exercise this week + poor sleep cause of worries = feel ****.

Going to knock that on the head next week. This is Sparta !!

• Advertisement

Oh, we get that being pensioner and carer. It's far from "so much". A fraction.

It covers all I use and I stay within it easily. In credit with ESB just now with that recent E200 addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,917 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Agree 💯 .

Carer here too, which a lot of people think means ooh they get money for doing nothing! The benefits package helps of course, but many think we're rolling in it.

In from out for ten minutes, coffee and a smoke.

OK... all sorted and settled for the day here.

Now where is my knitting?

Back later... Have a lovely day out there as I intend to...

• Advertisement

thomil. Hoping you continue to make good progress..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Oh, those people make my blood boil! Money for nothing? Apart from cancelling your life. And as for the ESB package, it's been reduced and was never restored. On top of that most of us carers have to use more electricity than most by the very nature of what we do. Grumpy needs bedding, towels and pyjamas washed daily and trying to get that lot dry indoors over winter and do your normal washing. I've stopped using the drier, the dishwasher, I've turned the temp right down on the washing machine and use antibacterial instead. With Grumpy being in hospital for extended periods twice I don't put the heat on, barely switch a light on and I'm STILL not in credit. Really dreading when winter sets in. Definitely going to be getting more jumpers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

There's talk of 3 more €200 electricity credits being included in the budget, not sure if there's a heating allowance mentioned. There will be a double payment of all SW payments soon too and then the usual Christmas one. The problem is no one knows how much more food and utility bills will rise or how long this will go on for. Petrol has come down a bit.

Yep, home carers taken for granted by family and the country.

Think the Eskimos would bring their dogs into the igloo on cold nights. The colder the night, the more dogs were required. I'll have to find a reference to show I'm not going crazy 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Carers are the most undervalued people in our society. The financial hardship most endure while saving us, as taxpayers, huge amounts of money is never considered.

I am especially in awe of the wonderful carers on this forum.

Sitting in town having a coffee and smoke before nail appointment...don't know what's wrong with me, no Friday feeling yesterday, not my usual Saturday feeling either, no mojo, ffs.

Totally agree re. carers, my bff has a 24 hour care adult daughter, no respite and was over the threshold until this year for the allowance due to husband's wage, I genuinely don't know how she does it and I moan so much more than her, she never even gets a lie in , the system absolutely sucks .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I have a friend who cares for her mother, she 'makes' two euro a week.. That whole ramshackle system is complete bollocks

Yup, I'm one of the "lucky" ones who gets an allowance. People who have spouses or kids who need care are often stuffed by the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

👍👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Just a tip for people drying clothes this winter...

The public dyer drums in most villages or towns can work out at really good value for bulk drying instead of turning on a tumble dryer.

I use them for bedding because of the big drum size.

Oh and I'm a little concerned about @Autosport with the hedge clipper 😆

@thomil hope you enjoy the visit from your friend

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭thomil

Not quite yet, I’m afraid. Visiting hours start at 6 PM, for whatever unfathomable reason. Also, I was just notified that I’ll be transferred to another ward shortly. Looks like they need my bed…

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Couch, blankets, tea. Is it a bit cooler today?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Oh and I'm a little concerned about @Autosport with the hedge clipper 😆

Why? Do your bushes need trimming?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Interesting protest through O’Connell street, they were literally protesting about everything except the weather.

Departing these shores tomorrow, was supposed to leave yesterday and spend the weekend in Amsterdam, but their airport appears to be a nightmare with a lack of security staff and extensive queues, so I chickened out.

@thomil when do you hope to escape ?

I’d love to be out of here by Monday or Tuesday, especially since my new room seems like the anteroom to purgatory. All that’s missing is bars on the windows. Well, at least my friend is still coming over…

Did you manage to fix your IPAD?

Nope, my friend is bringing over the new charger , so I should be sorted. But the room is just soul-destroying…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,917 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Home and in snoodie and slippers, ahhh feet are relieved 😌

Twas one of the munchkins birthday party today, lovely day for it , plus nice to have all my family together in one place 😊

Advertisement