Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,825 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Any what does the truth 'happen to be', oh knowledgeable one?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

China is out for China. That's it. There's bugger all love lost between the Chinese and Russians. Russia is worth about the same as Thailand to China. Their business connections and exports to the US and the EU utterly dwarf their connections and exports to Russia. The Chinese are neither stupid nor prone to kneejerk reactions and know they're way too exposed to the Western economies compared to the backwater that is Russia. The only thing Russia has is oil, gas and mineral resources. Oh they'll take Russian those resources at massively discounted rates and using the dollar with it under more "creative" accounting.

India has always played both the West and Russia and did so throughout the Cold War and are doing it now. Russia tried to get into a currency paring with India, but the Indians knowing this was for show and pointless for them have mediated it with trade in dirhams and dollars under the surface.

Russia is no more at the apex of that alliance than the dogs in the street. The only giant in that room is China. The three giants on the planet are the US, the EU and China. The Middle East, Taiwan, Japan, Korea etc and India come in behind them. Africa and South America have a long way to go. China became a great by being the production centre of US and EU goods and sales to same. Certainly not Mother Russia, who pretty much completely missed out on the IT revolution and the very device you're typing your posts out on.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

@Run Forest Run

why has Putin and Russia made no attempts to prevent their economic progression out of fear that it might reflect badly towards their own nation? Kazakhstan would be even easier to subjugate than Ukraine.

Because Putin has a deep envy of Europe.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

To be fair to the Soviets, they did indeed grab some nazi scientists, pumped them for info, but then put them on trial for war crimes, threw them in gaol and later threw them out of the country. After that things like the Soviet space programme were local and Soviet.

They certainly didn't make one of those nazis head of their space programme. Unlike the Americans who went out of their way to "rehabilitate" their nazis and make them "good Americans". Werner Von Braun, a card carrying nazi party member who oversaw horrific slave labour to build his wonder weapons for Hitler even got his own Disney series.

On this score the Soviets/Russians win the moral high ground such as it was.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It has altered the dynamic, even from their perspective, the outright failure of Russia to directly confront a proxy force will stand as a warning to China. And America are holding 90% in reserve here. Even if they give 100billion in aid, it is a tenth of their budget. They also are showing amazing economic resiliance while the rest of the world including China is on the brink of economic collapse. I'm terms of a us 'flex', it's rather intimidating. The idea that democracies are a failure due to populist politicians and instability has been truly put to bed. Cancel out the chatter and the noise and see the influence and dominance of western aligned nations. And that's not even mentioning it's greatest strength, the ideology rules by consent, the people of Ukraine choose to come into the Western sphere, no force required. If you could project 100 years in the future, you will see a world more like the west than it is now because the superior cooperative ideology will win. Now there are lots of problems, that dictatorial propaganda likes to exploit but it is noise relative to the overwhelming improvement that true democractic governance has over 'strong man' type permanent leadership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

It’s probably a move just to spite the USA who though the course of history have treated Iran very badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

By the current look of things a regime change may be on the cards in Iran and it has absolutely nothing to do with the US

• Registered Users Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

In fairness, If I was taken from my wife and kids to be given two weeks training (likely including hellish painful hazing.) before being sent to be almost certainly slaughtered in Ukraine I'd probably want to be out of my senses too. These lads lives remaining can probably be counted in weeks or months at best.

I saw a video on Twitter of a captured Russian soldier, he said he had been given 2 weeks training and then told to drive a tank with half the electronics broken (apparently more than half the tanks didnt work at all according to the same soldier). 5 minutes later the tank in front of his hit a mine and blew up and then his tank was ambushed when they stopped, he was the only survivor...5 minutes!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I'm starting to think that it could be a tactic to turn up drunk, tell them you are an alcoholic and they might say "you've failed training, go home".

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Did I say anything about China and Russia's alliance being a strong one? Please point it out if you think I did.

It doesn't really matter what their motivations are or how strong their alliances are... like I've already said, many of them make uneasy bedfellows. But are aligning through necessity and circumstance.

The important part, is that they are beginning to create greater alliances. And the west are helping to expedite this process through their useless foreign policies.

"Do what we tell you to, or you're in the naughty corner" simply isn't going to work as an overarching plan going forward into the next generation. (and yes, I am oversimplifying that description for the sake of expedience here).

The Americans in particular, cannot handle the idea of anyone else being in charge. This unwillingness to share power equitably throughout the globle, will ultimately force nations to pick sides. I agree nations like India would prefer not to, but eventually they will have no choice. And they are leaning much more towards Eurasia rather than the west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

The Russian commanders are probably drunk as well. It would explain some of their battlefield decisions, and the way they were parking their tanks early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

Well said, but he has to say that because of Taiwan.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

What is the barrier for entry ;"can be used as human shield"?

Meanwhile Mr Xi jin ping hasn't been seen for roughly 24hrs ...

According to rumors

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'm beginning to think that these referenda might not be on the level....

And yet Apple are moving a quarter of their phone production to India and 20% of their pad and watch production to Vietnam. India is also getting google, foxconn and other tech giants to produce their stuff there. India is heavily invested in getting production of western goods increased in India and you'll note a distinct lack of Russian brands... China is seeking to move in on areas like Africa looking for their offshore labour and resources. Note again, not Russia, which is right beside them, chock full of resources and a fair number of people whose wages are low especially outside the cities like Moscow and St Petes.

Funny that.

Never mind that both India and China have been expressing "concerns" over this Russian invasion of Ukraine, that putin himself spoke about. Cut price oil is one thing, hitting everyone's wider market economic margins is quite another.

As for America not being able to handle anyone else being in charge, true and just like Russia back in the day when they had the clout, but at the same time they stupidly offshored manufacturing to cheap labour markets when it suited. Well stupidly for the average American if the average Chinese is getting more of a cut. However it also means China is very much in thrall to the soft power of economics and they're heavily exposed to both the US and the wider Western economies that provide the blueprints and licenced machinery to make the stuff they sell back to the same US and West that is measured as a trillion per year. Russia's biggest export to China? Oil and now at knock down prices. How's that for "necessity and circumstance"?

• Advertisement

And got shot of them by the early 1950's. The Americans didn't. Their nazis got the white picket fences and the whitewashing of being true blue Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

So what? You're saying the coup is back on?

In case you missed it, in July he went missing for 13 days...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Except of course Tibet, with a special shout out to Hong Kong, Taiwan, Burma, and any country impolite enough to border the South China Sea - looking at you, Vietnam and the Philippines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Actually I take that back.

They're using transparent ballot boxes just to prove that nothing fishy is going on. Boy, do I feel silly!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

"The United States has lifted into the sky some of the rarest and most unique RC-135S "Cobra Ball" aircraft.

Used to track Soviet ICBMs. That is, behind strategic nuclear weapons.

All three are now in the sky, two on the border with Russia from Alaska, one is flying from the center of the United States."

I don't like the sound of that.

They are a variant of the rivet Joint aircraft flying over EU since the start of invasion,

At the same time Russia is carrying missle testing for the last while, chances are that why its been deployed.

No biggie I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

This way it's easier to spot if someone accidentally ticks the "no" box. Then the error can be corrected and the voter can be conscripted.

• Advertisement

Its the double jackpot...

Congratulations you just become a Russian, here's your bonus prize of a military uniform and bolt action rifle..

Your first Russian vacation awaits you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement