Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I was out on a club spin which was kept shorter and flatter than usual as most are doing the GDBR tomorrow (not me).

I got covid booster #2 on Wednesday and have been feeling crappy ever since. On the one hill we did today going from Kill towards Kilteel, I found myself struggling - legs sore and sweat dripping off me. Looking at Strava after, I did PBs on various segments here so am kinda puzzled 🤔

Overall 72km @ 29.6 with 400m.

Hopefully feeling better tomorrow for a bit more of the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was surprised to pick up some local legends on strava today; on the road between ratoath and the nine mile roundabout. i managed some with only 9 efforts in 90 days, i would have expected that road would have been much busier. clearly no-one commuting on it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Too dangerous to cycle on it regularly I'd imagine. I find from fairyhouse roundabout at the m3 to the 9 mile is atrocious

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Its a road the locals avoid like the plague, even outside of the rush hour volumes its horrible to cycle on. The road from Ratoath out by Firehouse is also terrible. Actually I'll not be able to ever get out of Ratoath!!! :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, it's not a road you see many other cyclists on. i usually only find myself on it in that direction (ratoath to nine mile and down along the broadmeadow) as it's the home stretch of a sort for me at that stage. in a northwesterly it's a good fast run.

regardless, i was surprised to get a local legend by averaging it once every ten days.

• Advertisement

I don't think I've cycled on the road past Fairyhouse alone since my first time when a driver who was held up for a few seconds before he could overtake me decided to spit on me.

yeah, that's not a pleasant road (says he who's been on it a few times recently)

Heading home this morning there were 2 lads under instruction and clearly marked as such on their bikes up the road from me. Lads stalling at lights and getting beeps from immediately behind and a truck further back who should have seen they were learners from his position. Bullies and arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Early(ish) start this morning. It was a little chilly, so I was glad of the Galibier mistral jacket.

Saw a startled heron and two sleeping swan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Cold out this morning

• Advertisement

it's cool, but i'd have been sweltered in a mistral!

windier again today than expected. i realised that a significant portion of the cycle i was going to do this morning mirrored the GDBR so just headed to the airport and did loops around the back past the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

It was 6° when I went out the door this morning. Had just the jacket and a baselayer.

I was warm by the time I got home, all right, but I definitely appreciated it at the start

ah, was about 11C when i was heading out.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭vintcerf

first GDBR, great turnout - food disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Did the GDBR today myself for the first time. Grand spin. Could really have done with a cup of tea or coffee at the food stop. It was great doing the cycling on all the closed roads and the excellent Marshall's at every junction.

Saw a bad crash at the bottom of one descent. Hopefully the cyclist is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That sharp left-hander in the midst of a quick descent....? If so that was also the site of a tandem crash in 2019. Hoping that it was minor, but there was an ambo and civil-defense/paramedic unit at it when I passed. My best wishes to those involved.

I didn't do the GDBR this year but heard of an incident at a descent and was thinking was it at the same left hander as the one from 2019.

I also heard that the marshal today was positioned at the bend (at rhe bottom.of the hill) rather than further up the hill - not sure if the accuracy of this info.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Chilly out today so opted for a bit of climbing to keep warm including Cruagh, Cunard, Knockree and Kilegar to Foxes. Had planned on getting to Enniskerry via Glencree, but came across a tractor cavalcade half way down so took in Crone wood direction instead. Only 59k but 1.34k of up and glad of full length bibs and jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭token56

Did it myself today and that is correct the marshal was no more than 20m from the bend when I came to it which really wasn't much time to get the brakes on at the speed you could be doing. Could definitely have done which more advanced warning of it. Hopefully the person involved is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I think that the marshal was in the same position, with the same flag, in 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

End of season club spin this morning. Three groups, 100km, 140km and a 166 km. Plan was we would all end up back in Gorey at near enough same time. we went Gorey, wexford town; Wellington bridge, Bannow Bay, and down to Kilmore Quay. Back via Murntown, Wexford town, Oilgate, Enniscorthy, Ferns and back to Gorey, 166km, 1115 meters, avg speed 30. 5 kph . Unfortunately one guy had 3 punctures and abandoned st 120km, we were last to show at Opera coffee shop, a great spread was thoroughly enjoyed... horloxed now 😛 but great satisfaction doing it at 65 years young

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Headed up glenaniff, first time surprisingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Lumpy spin around south Kilkenny yesterday morning, up Bishops Mountain, down through Glenmore and boreens back to Waterford. Very pleasant spin which I'd usually do going the other way. I wasn't too cold here - Having worn a Mistral last week and sweltered, I just went with a lightish long sleeve and leg warmers which was spot on.

Had a bizzare incident when on the way home when some fat lad on a Harley in a learner tabard decided to reef me out of it for no reason whatsoever on a straight section of road with no traffic. I'm assuming he was taking exception to me riding secondary which is somewhat ironic given that I don't think a learner is supposed to be on anything as powerful as a Harley (open to correction on that one)

71.5km with 720m

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Just back from a week long trip from Berlin to Copenhagen, done about 750km over the 7 days. Couldnt have asked for a better route to do my first bike packing trip on. Went from Berlin->Oranienburg->Neustrelitz->Karkow am See->Rostock->Stege->Rodvig->Copenhagen

Super jealous of both the cycling infrastructure and the general attitudes towards cyclists and bikes in both countries we passed trough

A fairly standard 50km route for me song around NCD this morning, but spotted 5 birds of prey in 4 different sightings (two red kites and three, possibly four buzzards).

And one of the worst overtakes I've seen in a very long time. Proper pants **** moment for the driver of the oncoming car.

Dublin spin today, up embankment, Lisheeen South, along Sally gap road, turned at Lawrence OToole Bridge and left up the long climb up to Sorrell Hill Gap, drop into Lacken. Lake spin, and left towards Wicklow Gap but turned along the long drag to Hollywood, coffee stop. Easy way back, Blessington and back down embankment and home.

80 km almost 1,000 metres and 24.5 avg. The view at Sorrell Gap peaking at 420m overlooking the lake is stunning.

where is that? google maps doesn't seem to know the name.

Sent you a pm, it's at back of Lacken, the other 2 lads were calling it Black Mountain but I know it as Sorrell Hill, shows on Strava too.

• Advertisement

That spot you posted is the peak, has a little viewing area on left, just before the drop to Lacken , that spot is 420m , spectacular view of lakes👌

Advertisement