Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

But what for? Against HIMARS? It's the 21st century war....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

There is no doubt about it Putin is going all out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Tell that to the Lads for getting a bolt action mosin nagant from the trenches of ww1 to go fight against the Ukrainians .

I'd rather the ak ,it might not shoot but at least you have some fighting chance

Seems appropriate, after the middle earth inspired map of Ukraine during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,957 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If a deal is done, and Ukraine give up some of their eastern land, then they could get to keep all their coast, and become full EU members, and full Nato members as part of the deal.

And Nato should be doing a deal never to invade Russia, I mean only the freak Putin thinks they want to , so why not write it in large crayon and stick it to his large forehead so he gets the message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

Looks like another Bad day for the Russian airforce

Whilst Ukrainian estimates are usually grossly inaccurate as you would expect. The fact that two prominent Russian Milibloggers (including one that specifically trumps up the Russian Airforce) points towards this being a bad day is certainly intriguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

There would be one hell of a run on the Christmas Poitin in Connemara if you let those lads in judging by some of the videos popping up.

@Perseverance The Second Whilst Ukrainian estimates are usually grossly inaccurate as you would expect. .

They are usually spot on

I'd quibble the fully functioning bit but anyway. I've a russian shotgun here so I know they're built for revolutionary peasant 1.0 operators. I'll have theAr any day but not if it's been treated like the AK then **** that I'm heading for the rear comrade 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Ukraine may have lost a lot of officers, but they would have a better pool to replenish from. Russia's officer core is ****.

Russia's only advantage in this battle, is the sheer quantity of armour they can throw at the Ukraine forces. And the fact they have no care for their soldiers. They will expend as many lives as they need.

Ukraine are better trained, better motivated. People talk about them being supplied with western weapons, but remember, the quantity of western weaponry they have received is quite small. Can you imagine if there was no limit to what the west would supply!

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

How many times has NATO invaded Russia? Putin is a serial liar and breaker of agreements, so I don't know why people talk of ending this conflict by talking to him. He can never be trusted.

Apparently the Ukrainians soldiers released from Russia were all suffering malnourishment and conditions similar to anorexia.

Meanwhile Ukraine is looking after Russian pows with kindness and respect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

Lots and lots of Russians will never be able to leave Russia again once this concluded. That will be out of rightful and justified fear of arrest in any country that respects the authority of the ICC.

In that I include the judiciary of the Russian federation, the guys who committed a war crime by sentencing POWs to death in sham trials. While it might be expected that an ordinary Russian soldier might never expect to leave Russia anyway, the middle class Judges will never truly be safe on their shopping trips to London or Cruises in the Med, even in 40 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭zv2

All joking aside, the west needs to get real serious. This war is going to get very intense-

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

I'm not doubting you, but could you post a source of credible information for that? Seems to me if both nations loathe each other they would both equally treat POW's like crap.

She's affliated to Ukraine. Hardly impartial or objective.

• They may loathe one another but the Ukraine is not in the business (so far as we know) of War Crimes. I doubt they broke the Geneva convention rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

But this is the question? None of us know how dirty they are willing to get. And yes I denounce Putin in every possible way, but I'm not buying the whole Ukraine is pure Bull crap.

• Advertisement

• There is no evidence to suggest Russian POWs have been deliberately mistreated by the Ukraine military or government.

In the absence of such evidence, the only reasonable assumption is they are not.

Thank you, I appreciate your genuine reply. My point is, there is enough known and verifiable facts about the Russian, despicable war and aggression, so, that unfounded, biased **** like that does not need to be posted. It undermines the actual reality of what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

This whole "....y'know... Ukraine are no angels themselves.... " thing is tiresome. Nobody is saying the Ukrainian army is an army of saints or angels, but the crux of the issue is that Russia has invaded the country for no good reason, with a clear intention to stamp out the Zelenskyy government and any notion of a Ukraine free to choose its own destiny, and to smash Ukraine and Ukrainians to pieces if that's what they think needs to be done and if that's what they can do. The Ukrainian army and its civilians have every right to fight tooth and nail against that if they so choose, to defend their freedom and their sovereignty. Tooth and nail. If the Russian army find Ukrainian aggression against them in any distasteful, there's a really, really simple solution. Just fúck the fúck off out of Ukraine. Back to mammy, back to Moscow and tell Putin to shove it up his hole.

• I disagree and think it absolutely should be publicised. Think about it if they can do it and no one pays any attention do you think they’d do it more or less at that point?

my guess is far more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

Roger Waters gigs in Poland cancelled due to his stance on the war.

Not that it'll dent his bank balance much,but good all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭zv2

I don't know. Another source said they were Chechens. Either way, things are going to get very intense. This is also something to think about- Kremlin wants to introduce martial law and ban men from leaving the country | Ukrainska Pravda

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

What unfounded bias is that exactly? There is evidence of Russian war crime, there is none of Ukrainian yet and Ukraine are operating under the scrutiny of free press while the Russians are not.

I totally agree with you. My point is, the previous post was total propaganda, biased and unfounded. I am on the same side of this as the rest of you. In fairness propaganda from both sides should not be tolerated and that was unilateral Ukrainian propaganda.

@CeCe12 I am on the same side of this as the rest of you.

Which side is that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I dunno what crib sheet you're reading from but EU sanctions most certainly apply to metals. Steel, iron, silver and gold, including jewellry. Coal, gas and oil are also all on the see ya later alligator list.

Google et al are in Ireland because of tax breaks(which every country wields), an educated English speaking populace in a peaceful stable nation within the largest trading block and second largest economy on the planet. Historical ties to America helps of course, but that's the least of it. Though we need to get our moronic housing and energy issues on point and quickly.

Now Russia could have gotten into a more close attachment to the EU, maybe do a Norway if it so chose to keep her independence and the beady eye away from her mind bogglingly hilarious levels of grift and corruption, but that went well... It's now pinning hopes on BRICS, where China and India, especially the former make it look like the broken down petrol station it is, with the owners of said petrol station now looking about as stable as a one legged man on a unicycle to the BICS. And no it's not so easy and cheap to extract. Hell a large proportion of Russia's equipment and expertise to get it out of the ground, especially as the sources move ever northward were Western(mostly European). Your lot didn't really think this through. As I said China is happy to take your oil at knockdown prices, but at the same time has banned your aircraft from her skies in line with the rest of the international air authorities. When push comes to shove...

And you seem to have missed the part about me stating off shoring by American business was stupid if you were America's working man. IMHO I'd be bringing more and more manufatcuring back within the EU(and there are signs of that coming especially after covid). The fact is Covid and a Chinese ship that pulled a handbrake turn in the Suez so far caused more disruption to "our" electronics and metallurgy industries than sanctioning Russia. Yet Russian cars can't have airbags and ABS anymore.

And as you note Russia's population is only 2.2% of the worlds, though it's falling. It has incredible natural resources and an educated and previously innovative people as the old USSR showed, so why does it look more like a developing nation beyond the cities in the west? Why does it have one of the worst longevity stats in the first world? Why are average wages so much lower than the first world? Why doesn't it look like a better version of Finland? It should, if it was run by the Finns, or more, if the Finnish character was in play.

We in Ireland have many questions to ask of our own failings, our own idiotic repetiton of an oddly servile nod to the parochial authority of mostly morons and the like for our issues, which are a few. That and our mix of pride and insecurity(very like Russians). Maybe Russians should ask the same questions of their regressive cultural choices. Like all nations should. But I'll not hold my breath. Sadly. They were once sooo bloody close. When they ousted their inbred elites and tried to forge a better Russia for Russians, but sadly reverted to type. FFS since the fall of the USSR the Russian Orthodox Church has made the last Czar a bloody saint, or close to it. They had another chance when the Wall came down and that didn't go well. Though IMHO the "West" should have and could have done more. It did for her ex vassal states, but left Russia, Belarus and ironically Ukraine out of that loop in too many ways. Setting up McDonalds and the like in Russia only went so far and not far enough. Then again you'd have to get over the hump of that faded empire stuff, which was part of what carried the Brexit vote in our nearest neighbour.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement