Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There will likely have been the aspect of some people rushing to buy "while we can". i.e. those currently with access to credit who think that a worsening economy will mean that they won't get it in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It said "considering". I'm sure that plenty of students are considering going abroad. If I asked a student if they were considering going abroad, I'd assume we were talking about after their studies.

Younger people always go abroad. The question would be if, or when, they come back. I think a couple of years back they were saying that more people were returning than going away. That may reverse again if things get worse here than in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think the mortgage squeeze is a big factor and is feeding through- ICS for example only giving 2.5 times salary?

Not to mention the steady rise in rates from where they were. All effects repayment capacity and mortgage qualification levels- people have less money to play with = downward pressure on prices

Friends house been on the market over 3 months- asking price reduced by €10k. Looks fairly ominous as I thought it would be snapped up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Yet more viewings where I'm the only person.

One of which was in decent part of south side. Gaff went sale agreed months but fell through. Back on the market 75k below that sale agreed price. Estate agent was saying they'd accept 5k less than that if I was interested. First time I've experienced the hard sell since I started looking. Only one other person had viewed it apparently.

No interest in the place, there's better value in other parts of Dublin. But houses around there were flying off the eh... shelves not so long ago

Not sure if it's the time of year, the amount of stuff currently on the market (is it 20k properties now on daft or my home?) or what. Feels like a sentiment shift. I've been actively looking for over 6 months and the last while fewer and fewer people are at the viewings I've been at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

And now you wont buy, you have seen the sentiment shift and will wait for more drops, wisely.

Just remember, dont be too greedy. Wait for reasonable drops, then jump.

We're certainly holding off for a while. Going to see how things pan out over the winter and potentially look to buy in Feb or so. I presume many others are doing the same. But if something comes along in the mean time we'll consider it.

The crazy thing is quite a few estate agents have said that September is usually a busy time because folk are trying to get stuff wrapped up before the end of the year. It hasn't been busy at all at the viewings I was at, except for one.

We're happy to wait for the right house in the right location. Many folk don't have that luxury, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The increase in renovation costs will also put downward pressure on houses that need some work

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Seems to be the case, new builds still rising in price while second hand homes in a poor condition are struggling in some parts. Inflation in construction costs working both ways on that one - increasing renovation costs putting people off while the increase in materials also adding to the price in new builds.

I'd say the energy crisis is also focusing people's minds when it comes to deciding between buying a new build A2 rated home and a damp and dreary G rated home that could be an endless money pit.

Defo seems to be the case at anything I've viewed that needed work/renovation, i.e., no one at viewings and still on the market weeks/months later

• Advertisement

I think too anything poorly located ie you have to drive to schools/shops is not moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

If you look at the PPR for 2019, you can see that houses jumped a crazy amount between then and 2021/22. I'm looking at houses that similar were selling for 100k+ less in 2019. There are areas near me where houses were selling for 550k on average in 2019 and now are listing at 670 and up until recently were selling for more. That's not normal and it's not sustainable. A 20-25% jump in price in the space of 2 years is absurd.

When you look at the rate of house price inflation of the preceding 7-8 years it's a steady rise and then a sharp jump in 2021. It's clearly a bubble, at least when it comes to second hand houses.

A ~10% correction would see us (more or less) back to the normal rate of inflation we would have been at had there not been a mini bubble due to 2 years worth of buyers competing for 1 years worth of houses during 2021/22.

The question is, how long will it take for vendors to start getting more realistic with their asking prices. I guess once houses are sitting unsold for a good few months. But it'll be slow to come about, no one wants to give up those kinds of gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

You have to look at other markets which are now experiencing reductions in price. They trigger appears to have been IR rises. the 30yr rate in the US passed 6.7% yesterday and now many are expecting it to go above 7%. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out the effect that is having

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Here's the first page of All Dublin price changes on myhome as they display for me - 13 shown (not sure of the "Listings 1-20..." description) with 10 out of the 13 being decreases.

Here's one down a quarter mil

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DFB-D

The door handles must not have been the selling point to get them 3m😂

I remember these houses used to fetch 1.2m with a driveway, am I crazy for thinking they are not worth much more than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Balluba

I see that Censure House Howth is reduced by €2.5 million. It is reduced from 15 million to 12.5 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,025 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Hard to price those trophy homes but they almost all go up too high, and the reality is if they were as desirable as people think they are they would have sold off market like almost places in the 5m plus bracket tend to.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,025 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The difference between now and before is that there isn’t the same pressure on people to sell, in 2012 people were overleveraged and desperate to sell at any cost, we won’t see the same pressures this time around so price decrease will be more gradual imo

For mover sellers, yes. But for probate jobs often folk are in a rush to sell, e.g., need money for their own purchase, or need to pay HSE for fair deal etc.

Not sure we'll see a dramatic drop in the short term or at all. But that jump in 2021/22 is wild. Do we expect a 20-25% jump to be absorbed and for normal house price inflation to continue on from that baseline? Not sure about that either. Affordability as a function of interest rates is most likely key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

I suppose what might happen is not a big drop, just a period of flatlining, until we end up at the same point we would have ended up at if the 2020/2021 spike had never happened. And then prices resume climbing 'normally', whatever that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Don't drink the BER rating kool aid. It is a fairly hamfisted way of measuring and can often be improved without huge investment.

Keep your powder dry another few months. Supply seems to be increasing every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Hard to know

17-Sept-2021

All - 12,689

1-Oct-2021

All - 12,123

Currently 16,392

Definitely higher, if it keeps trending up, likely to affect price but still early days IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

I posted here before but I went sale agreed very recently on my first home - but with all this talk in the news of downturn etc it's very hard not to get a bit worried.

I offered an initial price about 5k under asking but owners wanted asking price firmly. When I offered that it was accepted 15 minutes later.

Was looking for about 18 months prior and was in a bidding war that I was priced out of each time before that.

If you bought a house your really like and can see yourself there long-term then i wouldn't be worried about it. BTW congrats on the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AySeeDoubleYeh

If you can afford the repayments and you're happy with the location and size for the medium to long term then I wouldn't overly worry.

If you fear you'll outgrow it soon / the house needs extensive renovation / you don't like the area then that's different.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Aongus Von Heisenberg

Certainly noticed a sharp increase in houses available. Every weekend now I have several that meet my parameters on location, size, price and condition and view them all after the other. Previously you'd be doing well to have one.

At what point does a price drop in the next 6-9 months exceed the additional cost of a rate raise on the mortgage?

say prices drop 10% but the mortgage rate is then much higher than the roughly 2 - 2.5 % I can get now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

I keep an eye on the bidx1 auctions and to me they had the biggest auction that i have ever seen a couple of weeks back.

Also, a property across the street from where i work asking price has been reduced from €350k to €295k. another one up the street further has been reduced by 10%. both commercial properties with flats above the shop in one about 50 km from Dublin.

Was also speaking to an auctioneer yesterday and he can see a big softening in the market. houses that were previously selling in a week or two are now taking three months to sell

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement