Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭jacool

You fail to mention that Ireland beat Scotland.

You fail to mention that Ireland played Portugal off the park and only because the referee was in love with Ronaldo, did they play on until he got his record goals and the win. We were leading that game up until the 89th minute.

I have no issue with people criticising Kenny, but I'd prefer it if they acknowledged that we have some great young players coming through and I'm still waiting for the list of these super managers just waiting in the wings to take over, and bring this squad to another level completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Ok if talking budget is Kenny better than Bradley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

We're getting somewhere.

And how would they have ensured that Troy Parrott scored or that Alan Browne didn't handle the ball?

What do they bring that improves us and brings us forward as a nation with the players at hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Well someone thought it would be a good idea to get this joker in. Thats their job finished.

Gerard a guy who has achieved at the highest level and is currently managing at the highest level.

The loi fan boys porbably want vinnie perth in ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Beat me to it!

MON2 had the worst run while he developed his team and brought themmuns to the Euros after years of Lawrie Sanchez and the likes. Sounds awfully familiar...

Well again if going in hindsight Parrott shouldn't of started and that's down to manager,it's all if buts maybes.

Look I want ireland tonl do well and I don't mean to come across as negative, I feel I'm being realistic. Anyway no hard feelings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,510 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yes. Bradley has more financial backing which should be enough for the league and will constantly revert into a shell against better teams. Bradley needs to do a lot more to be considered enough for the national manager role

Not too sure about that but think yanks gave a huge cheque book to Dundalk , I'm open to correction. BTW I'm not saying Bradely should be manager ,the chat went down rabbi lt hole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

6/4 favorite to be the next premier league manager gone. He'd be a huge step up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ha, and where exactly is the money for that supposed to come from? May as well say Tuchel or Zidane or something, be as likely as Rodgers. If Kenny were to leave, our reasonable affordable options would be soooo much further down the ladder than Brendan Rodgers.

True but point of discussion is that Kenny isn't only option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

I like Stephen. The more I see him I like him. There is a decency to the man. And honourable man with principals. In a country were we lack so little leadership at the moment we see so little people you can admire at top of Irish society, Kenny stands out. He is intelligent thoughtful and likeable. His ideas are fantastic and his vision is excellent. But but it always comes back to results results results. It Always comes back to that. He has blooded allot of new players and put in good foundation. But 3 campaigns and 1 play off in 3 years all poor campaigns. Kenny in the big jobs he has got eg Dunfermline Shamrock Rover Ireland, in all 3 he struggles to win matchs. Under Kenny our record result wise is relegation form. We are always trying not to finish last. Under every other manager with exception of Staunton we were in contention to qualify at the end of group and consistently reached play offs. Yes some had better players, but O Neill and Mccarthy squads lackrd real talent but the results were better. 3 years in results should improve. We shouldn't be losing to Armenia. And we shouldn't be in relegation play off v Armenia. He gets the Euros but if we lose to a Malta Luxembourg Arzebejablin Andorra level team and out of contention in early stages and are played off the field by decent opposition eg Serbia Ukraine at home. Basically we have 4th campaigns of no victories and no chance of qualification early on than we seriously have to look at other options. Truthfully if Euros is the same as the World Cup and Nations league campaigns if it was any other manager in Irish soccer history he would be sacked. Its what Kenny stands for, I think why people are drawn to him. His vision. His personality. And we have never had successful homegrown manager. Best manager we have had our English born Mccarthy Hughton or Ulster managers eg Two O Neill. Name top 5 Irish born manager of last 50 years. Its difficult. Compare to Scotland with Busby Shankley Ferguson Stein or even Moyles. Or Wales with John Toshack or even Tony Pulis. Republic of Ireland manager Irish born manager we have never had manager as good as Pulis. Best would be Frank Farrell at Leicester Giles at West Brown O leary at Leeds keane at Sunderland. All wouldnt be considered quality managers.

If you look at Liam Brady Ronnie Whelan Frank Stapleton Irish born managers so many struggle. Why? I don't know. I think that's reason why Kenny has support. Because holy grail of Irish sport is successful homegrown Irish soccer manager. Stephen is 5th attempt following in footsteps of Liam Tuohy John Giles Eoin Hand Brian kerr. So far Stephen is more at level of Steve Stauton, when you look at the results.

I like Stephen, I really admire him. But the results have to improve dramatically. If not we need to look elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I think the writing is in the wall for Kenny ..it was him who said we should be winning this group and yet here they are battling for relegation...not good enough I'm afraid...Brendan Rodgers would be a massive upgrade but I just don't see it happening unfortunately...looks like we are Stuck with Kenny for the foreseeable future... depressing thought that

Yes, but if looking at the alternatives, it's pointless to talk about fellas that are just not alternatives in the real world. We need to look at the reality we'd be facing into if it isn't Kenny - and I'm not sure any of the likely actual replacements are any better, and daresay most (like Chris Hughton or something) are worse.

Half a million a year for a part time gig. It's the odd weekend managing international football. None of the intensity of premier league. It's still a lucrative gig.

...in taking that half a million part time job, he'd also be missing out on the many-millions he'd have been making from the jobs he'd instead be ruled out of. Or are you saying we give it to him for the 10 minutes he'd be available and then wave goodbye when something better immediately comes along for him?

It's a total non-starter of a suggestion, there is literally zero chance of anyone of his caliber being within a million miles of this job.

No. I still maintain its a lucrative job. For a proud Irish man 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Yup. You're looking at a coach who might want to get into management like John Eustace for an example, a manager that's been in the lower leagues like Alex Neil for an example, or going abroad for someone that might see the Ireland job as a way to get notice in England.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

If you think he’s just working during the international breaks then you are completely out of touch with reality.

The yanks? As in Peak 6? They came in 2018, Kenny was gone in 2018 (not that investment wasn't there, but at least Kenny exceeded expectations).

So we're still with O Neill as best nominated replacement (hypothetical of course). His start as NI manager doesn't seem concerning so.

It's a lucrative job for a random proud irishman like myself or yourself perhaps.... but for a quality professional football coach it's a total non-starter. Literally entirely impossible. Pointless to even talk about someone like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

People suggesting Brendan Rodgers as a replacement are clueless.

He's on £10m a year at Leicester.

To put that in perspective, Kenny is on €550k a year for Ireland.

No but compared to how hard he's working in the premier league it's not close. Sure Trap wouldn't even go and watch the players.

• Advertisement

Also worth keeping in mind that if we were to sack Kenny, the next person would likely have to be on even less to make up for the cost of paying Kenny off.

Ok Ok I'm clearly wrong there is no manager anywhere who would accept kennys wage who is better than him. I have seen the light ,sorry for all the posts, 3 competitive wins is now the norm. Your right and I'm wrong , I should lower standards

Or you should just acknowledge how far out of your depth you are here.

Michael O’Neill is a very good suggestion, but yet you haven’t spoken about how awful his start was with the North. Why is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Dyche is a superb tactician and man manager. Plus he would be good with championship/lower premier league level players. Also Dyche is good at the media side of things despite his trademark raspy voice.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Campaign wise I think kennys is worse, he has been in charge since playoff

• Advertisement

Also another one who is a million miles out of our level. At Burnley he was on close to 100k a week!

Who said there's nobody better? Many better coaches, doesn't mean the FAI can just hire them at will. Or is it just all ill-thought out knee-jerk reactions that mean no viable alternative can be identified?

Bare in mind I've already said lose Tuesday and he can have no complaints. I'd go as far as saying even if he is there come euro qualifying, he's under pressure and he can't blame anyone else, so let's hear some viable alternatives and why it may be better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

But those performances are not common there is no consistency, don't back up good performances. There is no future if you have no consistency.

Facts under Kenny after 3 campaigns and play off in 3 years

1 We can only beat worst teams in Europe eg Azerbaijan

2 We are out of contention in the group early on.

3 We are always fighting not to finish last. Under O Neill we were fighting in contention with Germany Wales Demmark Bosnia to qualify for tournaments. Under Kenny we are fighting with Arzebejablin Luxembourg Armenia not to finish last.

The idea we have to keep him because we have no options, no team in world soccer acts like that. Manager struggles he is replaced. That is the way of the world of international soccer.

There are many option there are even two Irish men with great CVs. Hughton who going to World Cup with Ghana and Brendan Rodger who will soon be available in coming year when leaves Leicester. Both could be candidates.

Rodgers and Hughton are better managers than Kenny. Rodgers did excellent job at Swansea and brilliant job at Celtic. Only for Stephen Gerrard slip he would have won Premiership with Liverpool. And along with Terry O Neill , Rodger is only Irish manager to win FA Cup ( O Neill did in 1979 with Asrenal). Rodgers has done excellent jobs at Celtic Swansea leiscister Liverpool playing brilliant attractive football. Rodgers will manage Ireland some day. Like Martin O Neill he would be interested.

Chris Hughton has great CV. Coached Spurs and Irish senior team before. Hughton did excellent jobs at Newcastle Norwich Brighton. Played really good football at Newcastle Norwich and when got promoted with Brighton also good football. Currently he will be involved with Ghana at world Cup. Yes he struggled at Forest, but if you have problem with that than you must have huge problem with what kenny did at Dunfermline and Shamrock Rovers. Even great managers Ferguson at St Mirren and Shankley had odd bad managerial job. But overall in 3 managerial jobs with players our level eg Newcastle Brighton Norwich, Hughton has done a great job. Hughton is the Best Irish manager of last 15 years along with Rodgers.

I got no sense from today’s two group matches that we should be overly concerned about Tuesday. If we did lose, he’d have to go though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

"While the FAI remains in debt to the tune of some €63.5 million, I can assure all stakeholders, including Government, Sport Ireland and our Bank, that we continue to make real financial progress off the pitch."

A statement of fact from the last Financial Statement y/e 31 December 2021...JD and his cronies almost bankrupted the FAI. We are where we are, a small nation where football is NOT our national sport. We were ar a low ebb, a total rebuild was required, the brand of football we played under the previous managers was truly awful to watch. Kenny has done a fine job, nobody in their right mind thought we would be qualifying for any Finals soon. The players clearly back the manager. The moanboys are only happy when moaning .

Forget Rodgers, we couldn't afford him. I'm not his biggest fan but hes light years ahead of Kenny.

Kenny should never have been given the job. He just hadn't managed at a decent enough level previously. That was clear early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Brendan Rodgers is on €10m a year. We’ll need Denis O’Brien, Dermot Desmond and few Hail Mary’s that Rodgers would take a huge pay cut.

Dont know why there’s so much chat on here about the manager’s position tonight. You get rid of a manager if and when the players are no longer playing for him. That’s not the case after tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭McFly85

Anyone suggesting current or recent PL managers is completely out of touch with reality. The money these guys are on, even for lower teams, is several multiples of what the FAI budget would be. Even the average championship wages are about 900k.

Then even if you could afford them, why would they take it? They’re far more likely to wait for another club job.

I would agree with you that the media are treating Kenny with kid gloves. But I think it is not because he is from Dublin. It is because Ireland has reached such a low at the bottom of the barrel, in an overall sense.

The Irish media don't want to 'kick a man while he is down'.

But the same Irish media, once hung Brian Kerr out to dry, because they took a dislike to him. And this was despite the fact he was from Dublin and had the LOI and youth international background. The more I think of it Kerr was really shafted, when you look at his record.

But this time around the Irish media seem as desperate for any green shoots, as the fanbase. Where positives were constantly looked at in defeat, and anything better than a bad defeat was hyped up as 'turning the corner'. There was definitely a point in Kenny's tenure where many in the Irish media were more 'fans', instead of broadcasters. The mantra was 'we want Kenny to succeed' instead of objective analysis.

But IMO this last game - although a loss was a good performance against a better side on paper away from home. With a high level of intensity Scotland brought to the game, they really wanted the win. If Kenny's teams play like that against weaker teams Kenny will do OK. He won't be losing silly points as much. But I feel that is Kenny's limit doing OK. Bring in the young lads credit where it is due for that.

There is a feel about Kenny that he is merely the substitute teacher stop gap. Until a better option comes along back from holidays. If Kenny gets third place in the next group he will have done the main part of his job, revamping the team, keeping it ticking over. And leave it in OK nick for the next fella that manages Ireland, whoever that may be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,288 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Too many lads fond of the porter around here judging by the level of comprehension and the bonkers posts tonight. Hopefully we won't here from them for another few months after Tuesday.

• Advertisement

We'll probably be digging around the championship for a manager tbh. Dyche would be good. Michael o'neill is the obvious candidate. Should also keep the loi fan boys happy too. The thing about oneill is he ended up getting it right with NI. Kenny doesnt look like doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Michael O’Neill’s record with the North was worse than Kenny’s over the first couple of campaigns was it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Kenny has been shown time and time again to be way way out of his depth. And for all those defending him here - the results don't lie and this is a results business.

The FAI need to bring in someone with the ability to get the best from their talent pool. I'd love to see Big Sam in the job, at least we'd be able to look forward to the side winning a few games.

I had a bit of a think about it logically.

It is well known the FAI don't have the cash to bring in a 'big name' manager. So it would have to be someone who would jump at the chance/is Irish. Now the obvious choice for the bookies for next Irish manager would be Roy Keane, I assume.

But given the FAI want to save money - they could go even cheaper, and I am not even talking obvious LOI choices, or even Crawford from the U21's should he qualify them.

Because the expectations of Ireland are now so low, with zero real expectation of qualifying for a tournament, in the near future. I think the FAI have a great chance to make history and get world wide positive attention.

The answer for the next Irish manager could be Lisa Fallon. Her gender, would make worldwide headlines. She could become first female to manage a male pro team, not only that - a male international team. This could attract a big sponsor and get the moolah in, even for the novelty factor.

But Lisa Fallon has had a long and varied career in sport, has the UEFA PRO licence, is clearly articulate and tactically astute when it comes to game of soccer. I think it would be a great call for the FAI to make (should Kenny ever move on) and if it does not work out - the publicity alone would be priceless.

O'Neill didn't 'look like getting it right' with the North either for the first two campaigns.

Guess what? He was given time and he got it right, after completely rebuilding the team.

The fact you're happy for him to be in charge when he went through the same crap that Kenny is currently going through is absolutely hilarious and shows a complete lack of awareness.

She'd be a great coach. It wouldnt mean she'd be a great manager. Get her on board for sure though.

Think of the headlines 'Women in sport' positivity etc etc. Modern forward thinking. And it can all be done probably even cheaper than Kenny. Fallon brilliant at the media, seems to be well able being a female in male dominated industry. After Kenny (whenever that is) giving Fallon the Irish job could be a masterstroke. I mean if fecking Noel King can be put in charge of Ireland....does he even have a Pro Licence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It would only be a great choice if she was a success, and since she doesn't have experience at that level it is more likely she would not be.

If people then start calling time on her tenure if there is a lack of success or progress be prepared for a backlash with media calling any criticism misogyny.

It's a hornet's nest not worth kicking

A coach under Caulfield at Galway? Fair enough that's highly likely to constrain her, and she talks a lot of sense, and it may be something that could get money in, but the risk-reward be far larger than what's currently in play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,870 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

If Lisa Fallon became manager it would be a mess. Positive PR or not it would be ugly with dickheads berating the team the second anything goes wrong etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement