Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Doesn't turn 22 until after the first round of fixtures next March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

There would be a minority with the misogyny aspect, true enough. But I think in today's climate Fallon's gender would be a massive plus point. OK, maybe full time Irish manager might be a stretch.

But the FAI could easily give Fallon a few games as caretaker manager, at some stage. It would be all the publicity without the risk.

Also, it would be a good way to gauge public reaction to a future full time female manager of the male team. At worst publicity stunt, at best she performs beyond all expectations, which are low anyway.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

A lot of jumping the shark going on here tonight. Hard to know if they’re serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I don’t really see a huge amount of progress under Kenny to be honest. Sure he’s introduced a lot of younger players but I think any manager would have done the same as we had quite an old team in place when he was given the job and it was obvious that a lot of older players would either be retiring or phased out. The football is marginally better but partly because we are conceding lots of goals as well as scoring a few more. The actual results are crap in the main. It’s hard to gloss over that. His best result was beating Scotland 3-0 but that was a few days after Scotland had been knocked out of the World Cup qualifying. I’d say their heads were gone by the time they rocked up in Dublin. I think he’ll be given the next qualification cycle but it’s **** or bust for him then.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ramasun

We're far enough on the Stephen Kenny road that it makes more sense to see it through than change course now.

If we need a new coach at the end of it then at least they can start fresh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Brendan Rodgers wouldn’t be a bad shout if Leicester get rid of him .

i still think Kenny deserves a euro qualication campaign tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭chicorytip

It's all about players though. You can't coach the technical type of game that Kenny seems to prefer if the players you have at your disposal don't possess the required technical ability. As a manager you sometimes need to adapt your strategy and compromise in order to be successful. Guardiola and his peers don't need to do this because they have the great players they need in order to implement their plans. Kenny does not have this luxury, which is an understatement. Charlton , McCarthy, Trap and O'Neill each qualified Ireland for major tournaments by adopting a pragmatic approach in order to make the most effective use of the resources at their disposal and all were good managers of Ireland and good value for money for the FAI. Kenny needs to learn how to be adaptable, flexible and how to make compromises in order to save his job. As it is, I fear we may never qualify for a major tournament again.

I think he has adapted his plans and strategies. He dispensed with 4-3-3 for 3-5-2. He dispensed with overdoing it with playing out from the back while the players have steadily improved with possession as time went on. He’s playing younger players but I don’t think I’d have picked a different line up than he did tonight. Maybe would have played Duffy because he may have been useful at those corners we got. Would have made some subs a bit quicker to replace players like Doherty who was out on his feet. Parrott should have come off a bit quicker than he did.

He will get the Euros and with some more tweaks here and there I think he’s already beginning to get the best out of this group of players which is all you can expect from any manager. He’ll need success in the next campaign though because even relatively successful managers have a shelf life.

The players are playing for him, that’s the most important thing. A little bit more maturity and experience and we would have drawn or won that game tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Didn't think it was that bad, that is bleak alright.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,096 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We were at least equal to Scotland last night. We deserved a draw at least. And even a win wouldn't have been that much of a shock had our forwards a bit more composure.

And that's our level. We have to accept it. Ukraine are a better team than us, we will lose to teams at that level in competitive games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭athlone99

As pointed out to you, Kenny has changed his style, formation and way of playing since he started. From your post to me it seems like you dont watch the games or pay much attention to anything other than results.

This thread is mental. Many calling for Stephen Kenny to be sacked becuase he shouldnt have gotten the job in the first place, hasnt managed at a high enough level etc etc...... then people seriously suggest Lisa Fallon as manager? Jesus wept

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

My goodness, the sense of entitlement in here is astounding. As a neutral I can see the project that Kenny has started and it is still a work in progress. You can tell the players have bought into it and to throw it away now would take you back years. The passion and team spirit in those players has been impressive. Last night was a fantastic match, Scotland are the best they’ve been for decades and Ireland more than put it up to them. The league of Ireland (of which I am a regular attendee at games) is one of the worst in Europe yet people in here seem to think Ireland should be a top 16 in Europe nation. Get a bloody grip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭deisedude

What planet are you living on?

Stephen Kennys salary is €510k per year

Brendan Rodgers is reportedly on £10m a year at Leicester

The FAI is broke and bailed out by the government. The days of washed up big name managers are gone and not coming g back unless another sugar daddy pays the salary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,288 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Brother Brendy, Big Sam, Hughton, Fallon. It's been some 12 hours of sh1t fuelled nonsense in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

So are Scotland to be fair. Massive difference in quality of players in the midfield and forward areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The problem with Kenny as we saw with Kerr is that a LOI level manager is not good enough for international level.

So suggesting Fallon is silly, she would be far more out of her depth even than Kenny.

You need someone who has at least managed at EPL or equivalent to be doing this job successfully.

Chris Houghton would be a natural option were the FAI to get rid of Kenny.

I agree with your first paragraph. Kerr was a genius compared to Kenny though! I have a soft spot for him, but ultimately he wasn't good enough either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭McFly85

Him being an LOI manager has nothing to do with it. We’ve only had 2 managers in our history to ever qualify us for a World Cup, and since then we’ve qualified for 2 Euros, something Kenny hasn’t been given a chance to do yet. In his first full campaign he finished 3rd, which was our seed, which is generally where Irish managers finish.

I really think the scale of what Kenny has done is lost on some people. He’s brought in new players in every area of the pitch, and he’s done it while updating the way we play. He gets judged far more harshly than any manager we’ve had in the last 15 years even though he’s put far more effort into the job, it’s bizarre.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

But Chris Hughton will bring us back to the stone ages. It might work for a campaign or two but eventually it will be found out for what it is and Hughton has shown zero ability to adapt and bring a team to the next level. Look at where Nottingham Forest were when they sacked him and where they are now.

Ireland has to move on with the times. If that means taking some pain for a long term gain, then I’m all for it.

There is some weird delusion that we should be beating Scotland at Hampden Park. The Nations League is designed to be set up that you’re playing teams who are on your level and that on any given night any side can beat the other. Yet you have people here calling for Kenny to be sacked after losing to Scotland at Hampden Park and then suggesting we go back to the dinosaurs while the rest of football moves on.

• Advertisement

As a fellow 'neutral' I agree with most of that. I think we'll return to results based appointments after this experiment though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

This is it. Looking at it plainly is there any competition on paper between Molumby, Cullen and Knight against McTominay, McGinn and McGregor? It's night and day. They were bringing PL forwards off the bench. We looked competitive with them and should have at least drawn. It was a positive game for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I don't think anyone is questioning his effort. You can see that he is trying his best however I don't think it's anywhere good enough for international level. He even himself said we should be winning this nations league group...his words ..yet here we are in a relegation battle with Armenia....not good enough

My point is that no manager we’ve had recently has been significantly better than him. He hasn’t had a full campaign in the Euros yet, which is the only thing we’ve qualified for recently. The way people go on we’ve been qualifying for everything and this is some quantifiable step down.

. If that means taking some pain for a long term gain, then I’m all for it.

But when are we going to see the gain ?

It's been over two years of nothing but inconsistent results time after time after time.

And Kenny supporters keep telling us to wait, we have to be patient.

So when are things going to get better ?

When we can stop struggling against Azer-by-fuckin-Jan ?

Under Mick we struggled against Gibraltar and Georgia. Both lower seeds and arguably worse than Azerbaijan. Were you calling for his head?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Important to get the result Tuesday night, defeat would be unthinkable and put Kenny back on the ropes.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

But it was Kenny himself who said we should win this group...so he must think the playing group is good enough, so if this is the case he's simply not getting the best out of them when you look at his results ..

And do you think things will improve if he has a full Euro campaign?

For someone like me who has been following Ireland for 40 years I know we don't qualify for everything every time but for the most part we have been in the hunt for a place or a playoff place late in the campaigns.

That's not the case here.

We have been out of the running in two Nations Leagues and one WC after a few games.

How can anyone see that changing under Kenny?

I dare you tell me, because I'm sure I could go back and find the same people telling me the same thing for the last two plus years.

"Just wait, he's blooding players, he's changing the system, this upcoming Nations League will show us etc etc etc "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yep, such a stupid thing to say and it's come back to bite him now with our ridiculous 4 points from 5 games. Shocking.

He said he was targeting top spot, so what? Kenny is definitely the type of manager to put belief into his players with these type of statements, he wants them to believe they can do it(unlike previous managers who would publicly state how limited we are).

If he had of said he didn’t think we could win the group and it’ll be okay if we just don’t get relegated he would be crucified for that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

What would you change? What players are going to elevate them to this team that will be winning groups against teams with much better players? They were on a downward spiral at the end of both O'Neill and Mick. At least with Kenny it looks like they're capable of winning games even if it's not played out like that.

And what did you want him to say? We should be relegated?

This is the Nations League which is designed so that any side can beat the other on any given night. If Kenny said we should be in a relegation battle then that would tell me that he doesn’t trust his players. It’s such loser talk.

We showed this campaign that we had the capabilities to beat Scotland and Ukraine, but likewise they were capable of beating us too. That’s literally how this competition works.

But we were still competitive, came third in the group in Euro 2020 qualifications, were in with a chance to the end, only lost a single game.

So what are saying so is that they don't believe in him... because his statement didn't seem to inspire them for this qualification stage ..look I hope he turns it around for the Euros, I really do but I just can't see it from what I've seen over the last 2 years

• Advertisement

We came third in the World Cup 2022 qualifiers as well.

You can go back and see I’ve said he deserves this Euros, and if he doesn’t qualify and gets the boot then nobody can have any complaints.

But he’s put enough work in to deserve the chance. Getting rid of him now makes zero sense, especially because people want to replace him with a PL manager, which is fantasy stuff.

Don’t forget the Steven Gerrard suggestion lol.

Are you watching anything?

You seriously don’t believe this lot don’t have faith in him?

Ive read some absolute bollocks on this forum but that is right up there with the best of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

What exactly is wrong with Big Sam? Under him we could at least look forward to a few wins and being competitive.

• Advertisement

If results aren't as important as pleasing a fan base then the FAI have a unique opportunity.

Assuming this goodwill towards trying something different continues there are potentially lucrative options.

An FM competition to be the next manager would be my choice or pick a coach from another sport like Davy Fitzgerald or Mickey Harte accompanied by a camera crew as they unravel the complications of International soccer management.

Lets think outside the box.

They clearly believe in him. But people are calling for his head for simply being positive. It’s ridiculous.

Parrott would have scored tonight under Big Sam would he?

Would he shite. Under Big Sam he wouldn’t have got the chance in the first place and Obafemi would have been hooked for not booting the ball as far away as possible.

Big Sam wouldn’t guarantee anything, would revert us to hoofball, and would cost millions.

If the FAI find a few million behind the couch, they should be investing in youth development instead of handing it over to a mercenary.

I’m not sure some of these posters actually watch the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,172 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'd get a manager that has more experience than just LOI and a disastrous stint with a Scottish team.

As we have seen with both him and Kerr (who had an infinitely better squad) LOI level manager just doesn't cut the mustard at international level.

You need a pragmatist that will try to find results in a game where all that matters is results.

Pick up Houghton after his spell with Ghana at the world cup.

Hopefully Armenia win in a few days, because prolonging this is just making things worse and worse in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I presume you mean Hughton? God no. Bad results and horrendous football. Why would anyone want that?!

He’s a lovely fella, but the game has well and truly passed him by as a manager.

And tying off the opinion nicely by hoping we lose the next match… have I fallen for a parody post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Not necessarily. A different manager could set the team up for counterattacking instead of this playing out from the back for which this team doesn't have the players. An international manager doesn't have the time with the players to develop them and that's Kenny's real problem: he's managing an international side like a league side. He doesn't have them every day to develop them, he gets the players in short windows so he needs to work with what he has. That means he has to change his system to work with them, not the other way around.

A manager with a bit of experience like Allardyce would recognise that. Results are all that matter at the end of the day, and where has this "attractive" football gotten us? Plenty of unattractive scorelines...

Yea Chris Hughton.

He's a far better option than the guy currently in charge who has proved nothing over two plus years.

It's hard to say it but the only way I can see an end to this is a loss to Armenia.

If Ireland win this spoofer Kenny will get a bit more rope.

So I hoping for a Armenia win.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement