Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

For me I rang An post was directed to another number Customs I think and was told that package was selected for random check by Comreg who come in once a week to do the inspection but never know what day it was. Anyway my package was inspected and arrived next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭littlecopilot

Mine is still stuck nearly week later. Will ask Amazon for refund tomorrow. They can stick it now at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

ordered a router from amazon , got a message today saying Delayed by Customs , your package is being processed by Customs officials , an post may require additional information from you ,

contacted an post and they had'nt a clue . gave me the customs number in Porlaoise mail center , and had to leave a message , not a business account and its only 80 euro value ,

anyone have a clue what this is about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I pre-order a lot of physical media & in about 25% of cases, Amazon are not getting the stock in until after release date. I had three pre-orders for 26 August which worked out as follows:

Blondie - shipped yesterday, arrived today

Kool & The Gang - shipped yesterday, arrived today

Now Yearbook Extra 1980 - just shipped today, arriving tomorrow.

However the Swing Out Sister box released on 19 August & pre-ordered three months beforehand still hasn’t shipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I just want to buy some sweets and literally nothing can be shipped here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭littlecopilot

When I wrote this my package arrived the following day. The tracking information on my amazon account updated just before the item arrived also. I ordered an Nvidia Shield on Friday and it's out for delivery tomorrow as I got the AnPost text message yesterday. That was £178 and no issues at all. Must be some random checks or missing paperwork like someone has said earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Oh wow, I placed an order with Amazon.de on Friday as long-distance premium, Monday I got the dispatch notice but did not check for details because usually it's Amazon's own delivery these days after a few days.

This morning I got a notification from UPS that my Amazon shipment will be delivered today, looking it up now, the items were shipped from Treviolo, Italy.

Not only did it ship from Italy, but it also shipped as UPS Express Saver, wow never had that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

What is the story with amazon and their returns?

Attempting to return something that arrived today and is faulty, I have to pay for the return and they will refund up to £9. This happened to me in the past and the return postage came to more than that and I had to fight to get the full postage refunded. If an item is faulty I should not be left out of pocket and I should not be expected to jump through hoops to ensure I'm not left out of pocket either.

Their customer service has gone downhill over the last 3 years or so, do they still claim to be " customer-centric?"

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭EarWig

Based on other countries, how long before we get an Irish Amazon website?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Fight them before you send it back. I got €60 out of them for one item. I got an estimate and got onto chat and said it was mad having to pay that and they were fine about just asked for a picture of the receipt emailed to them.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭deezell

Is it not almost already configured as 'Irish', i.e, display in euros, our vat rate applied, delivery costs for roi, possible duty if source is non EU. The only caveat is, or was, buying goods not delivered by amazon, which may not be properly customs processed, or is that kind of supplier even permitted anymore? The euro setting is only guideline btw, the final transaction is calculated in £, but confusingly may present in € if you've chosen to pay in € at their exchange rate, which used to be unfavourable. The last item I bought, a heavy duty ball joint puller set, was in January. £41 delivered. It was almost impossible to clearly determine what the final price was in € as the calculations jumped up and down so I stuck to £ and revolut. Shopfront was in China, but I just paid 23% vat and free delivery, so I've no idea where the goods were stored, and delivered from. It cost less than buying from amazon.de, as I got the free delivery, which was a £6 deduction.

Fwiw, an Italian based EU wide agricultural and garden machinery supplier, Agrieuro, had to pull out of supplying UK due to the complexity of Brexit, and now their .co.uk site is in euros, and seems to be aimed at Ireland, or european ex pat UK residents. Great place for lawnmowers and tools. It's strange, after a lifetime of almost dependency, ( from when our £ was exact value of their £, you exchanged at 1 to 1 with no fee), it's as if the UK is becoming dead to us. Johnson and his ship of fools as O'Leary said t'other day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Amazon.pl launched last year. Amazon opened their first fulfillment centre in Poland in 2014 and there are now 10 locations.

Considering Poland has over 7 times our population and it still took 7 years and 9 fullfilment centres to get a Polish Amazon site, I'd say it's very unlikely there will be an Amazon.ie anytime soon.

Just a heads up for anyone that assumes that Amazon have refunded you when you return something and then get an email to say you have been refunded, CHECK!

I'm on to Amazon now, they refunded me for half the order. I bought 4 items that came in 2 boxes. The email said I'd been refunded but when I finally checked a week later the refund was for 2 items not 4.

Easy enough to get them to sort it but I've found you have to check all refunds and that often you have to ask for your refund as it isn't automatic like they say it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I was browsing amazon Germany and I went to this page https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Crosshair-Impact-Gaming-Motherboard-SO-DIMM-2/dp/B07X55Y4SX/

I accidentally had my delivery country set to Georgia - So the price shows up as €320.99

But when I change the country to Ireland, the price goes up to €349.99.

When I get to checkout the price goes up to €361.76 + shipping €10.01 = €371.77

What is going on here? How come it is cheaper to buy from Georgia? It isn't taxes or shipping, as they get changed at checkout.

Screengrabs - Georgia - Ireland - Checkout

• Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They likely don't collect VAT for Georgia. Georgian Customs would be responsible for that. They likely have to collect it for stuff they send within the EU

When you see a difference between the product page and the checkout, that is due to a difference in VAT rates between Germany and Ireland.

349.99 = 294.11 + 19% VAT (German rate)

361.76 = 294.11 + 23% VAT (Irish rate)

Roughly what you are seeing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭newmember2

Georgia is a completely different market and has a totally different standard of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It may, but the previous post is the answer. For delivery to EU countries prices have to be shown including VAT.

VAT 18% in Georgia, customs probably 0% fron EU, but 6€ customs fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Not sure if this was mentioned already, but I would have thought the first obvious things to stock in the new Irish Amazon fulfillment centre would be power banks.... Surely these would be the main items that we'd buy if we could, but cannot due to shipping restrictions.

But no....., everyone I look at on the UK site still cannot be delivered here. If they are using historical Irish purchase data to stock this warehouse then they won't appear on it.... Annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Good point. I wonder if they record trends of items being added to baskets but never actually purchased, power banks and other items they wont ship should be notably higher than the average for other items due to change of mind etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Amazon is getting funny with Irish deliveries.

Placed a larger order with Amazon.de yesterday morning with priority delivery (some of the items are not on.co.uk) and they split it up into multiple shipment. So far so good.

This morning I'm getting an "out for delivery" notification from for one item. It shipped from Dublin instead of Germany by the looks of it.

Great, now here the kicker, I paid 2.45€ for the item and the co.uk site has it down as 6£ (kid you not).

Amazon is getting funny with Irish deliveries.

No kidding I'm waiting a month for an item that Amazon.co.uk had in stock. To a UK address it was next day delivery. After 4 chats and calls I finally got onto a guy that looked it up and said my item is down for delivery in November! Amazon.co.uk still have them in stock but the price has now gone up by nearly 40 quid (from 220).

The excuses are brilliant. Newest one is they have two in stock but they "might" be broken but so they won't be able to dispatch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭smiddyboy

I ordered a new router last week and as of Friday i am also getting a message that it is 'Delayed in Customs'. Did this ever get resolved for you?

I wonder what it is about routers that is causing this to happen??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

It took about 6 working days to clear , apparently they only check the randomly selected packages once a week

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If someone in the USA wanted to buy a gift for someone in Ireland could they buy on Amazon UK or Amazon European sites to avoid duties etc ?

Yep no problem. Amazon aren't bothered where the money is coming from only where its spent and where the item is shipped to. My son has had stuff bought for him by someone in the US from Amazon.co.uk.

Don't see why not, if they add the address to their list of addresses. Like when we could use parcel motel, you'd set delvery address to NI, then get free UK postage and 20% vat. Them were the days. I send gifts to a Netherlands address from amazon.de, its no problem, but I remember at first I couldn't log on to amazon.de until I registered my email and and password, it didn't use the .co.uk one. I guess someone in America would be registered on .com, may need to register on .de or .co.uk.

I only ever use amazon on a browser, can have co.uk and .de, even .es or .fr open at the same time to hunt for bargain parts and compare cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Advertisement