Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Oh they're serious. Which makes it all hilarious. Absolute chancers.

Imagine watching decades of hoof ball and wanting to return to that under the mistaken notion that we can't pass the ball.

Did you watch ANY of the match last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Jesus the thread has become a shi*show over the past 14 hours, very predictable and the knives were bound to come out if we lost.

My thoughts - it was a fairly decent performance but very frustrating to lose, I don't think we deserved to lose the game. Parrott really should have buried that chance, you are not going to get much better. Thought Ogbene looked lively when he came on but agree with those saying it felt like Kenny took off the wrong striker, maybe Obafemi was tiring having not played much lately. Collins and Molumby our two best performers on the night, Doherty, Parrott and some of the subs who came on did not have great games. Overall it is probably a fair reflection of where we are - Scotland on paper have a better side than us and in the end they won despite us having arguably the better of the play.

Calling for him to be sacked after losing to a (slightly) better team away from home is over the top, especially when the performance itself wasn't bad. The fear I would have now is getting a result against Armenia. These games have been the major blotches on the Kenny era so far - losing to Luxembourg and Armenia 1-0, drawing with Azerbaijan. Another major slip up like that and all of a sudden the posts from last night become much more justified.

I think he deserves a shot at the Euro qualifiers and am confident he will get one, but we need to be beating the weaker sides regularly. You can deal with a defeat by the odd goal to teams ranked ahead or around you, it's the results against the smaller teams that would have me worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Do you know who has crossed over the GAA/Soccer divide and has soccer management experience abroad? Jimmy McGuinness. High profile in the GAA, organiser motivator of men, and ex North Carolina manager. Coleman and Given could be in his backroom team!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭McFly85

I genuinely can’t believe that there’ll be people who claim to be Irish fans watching the game next week and hoping Armenia win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ramasun

That was a bit too orthodox for my example but you could also include former Munster rugby player Jerry Flannery, having worked with Arsenal before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You do realise Hughton had Forest heading for league one? Did not win a game for 7/8 games and was sacked for Cooper. Sometimes a manager has a 'sell by date'. And it appears Hughton has reached his.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

I've been won over to an extent by those who championed Stephen Kenny for manager. We shouldn't be shopping for coaches in the lower leagues of neighbour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Well it's a choice of losing this and a return to winning ways, or them winning and and failing badly in the next outing.

Kenny's had his bacon saved twice by the players pulling out a performance and the **** show has continued. If a loss is required to call time on this nonsense well you can't blame the supporters for wanting that.

Hopefully Armenia win?

And you call yourself a supporter?

Why are you even in here? Ridiculous carry-on.

You and your ilk are better off getting your entertainment elsewhere. Hoping for your country to lose? The state.

I'm sure you'll be at Lansdowne on Tuesday night giving it socks and booing like the clappers to get your point across?

He's as much a supporter as those excusing **** performances and results just because it's a LOI man at the helm.

A return to winning ways? We haven’t had a team that could consistently win since long before Kenny. At least he’s trying to raise the ceiling of the team.

Putting it as a choice between Kenny or instantly winning all of our games is completely nonsensical.

• Advertisement

Victories on the players, losses on the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,172 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ah so when we lose it is Kenny's fault but when we win the players bail him out. 🤣

I couldn't care less if it was an LSL or Sri Lankan National League lad managing the team. I can see where we are with my own eyes and I know where we came from.

What would you have done if we won, as was looking likely for long parts of last night? You'd have slunk off to lick your wounds like you did in the summer.

Imagine complaining about the results of the team in one breath and then defending a poster who wants us to lose. You haven't a notion what you want other than "Kenny Out".

It's such a load of sht the way LOI is brought up anyway because an honest agenda free poster would admit it was his work with the underage set up got him the job and the credit he has.

But I suppose these fellas who think we are getting Brendan Rogers in probably don't even know we have an u21 squad because the players the team don't play in the Premier League

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,288 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

You can't reason with people who think we'd be better off with Big Sam or Hughton. They're literally deluded. Putting aside the football side of things how would you even pay Big Sam, with free burgers and pints? Absolutely deluded, Kenny living rent free in their heads and driving them demented.

Anyone who can't see that we as a small nation, with a limited supply of players need to try something different just aren't being genuine.

Thirty years ago there were less nations in Europe, qualification was easier, we had a generational team. The game itself was different, it has moved on so much and we as a country haven't. We ploughed money into expensive dinosaur managers. Their legacy was that there was nothing coming through and we now are in the situation where we are rebuilding. Plenty of other countries have done it, Wales, Hungary, Denmark, Finland, Iceland. Bringing through youth, getting underage structures and pathways aligned.

We've no divine right to qualify for anything. Stop living in the past. We are so much better to watch this past year or so than any of the previous 10/15 years. Good, honest, talented younger players coming through and learning their trade at this level. It'll stand to us...in time. It can't be turned around in a short space of time.

Bringing in another mercenary manager would dismantle everything we've spent the last few years putting together and would have been for nothing and the cycle will just continue and the same lunatics will be here calling for a different flavour of the month mercenary in 2 years time.

Tl/Dr: fcuk off with your Big Sam and Hughton nonsense.

You just know when LOI is brought up where the rest of the post is going.

That's a terrible thing to say about a domestic league. There's a bit of a "them v us" vibe to it.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Its nothing to do with an LOI man being at the helm.

It's to do with the fact that he has essentially had to start from scratch with a whole raft of new players and that rebuild doesn't happen overnight.

Look at last night's starting team team.

Seven players - Bazunu, Collins, O'Shea, Molumby, Knight, Parrott, Obafemi - were U21 for the 2021 Euros campaign

Five players - Bazunu, Collins, Knight, Parrott, Obafemi - are still underage for this campaign

Two players - Bazunu, Parrott - are underage for the 2025 campaign.

That seven players I just listed is the spine of our team. They had never played at this level before Kenny came in and they had to do a lot of growing up very quickly.

He has had to give the team a complete facelift. Gone are the days of the Keanes, Duff, Dunne etc. This is the group of players we have now. He doesn't get to spend all year round with them. He has only a week/10 days on 3/4 occasions of the year.

You come in here and beat the LOI drum all the time but fact of the matter is this Ireland team needed a major change in direction. That takes years and the only thing Kenny is missing now is luck. It was a hard watch at the beginning but if you look at where we are now it's leagues beyond where we were when he took on the job. That's significant progress. How you can't see that is your own issue but Chris f*cking Hughton isn't the answer either if you want this Irish team to move on with the times.

I can't believe that we're at this point and this still has to be explained to the same people who come in here and mock the LOI, which this f*cking country needs to succeed if the national team is to succeed because our players aren't breaking into the top English sides anymore.

This isn't 1990 or 2002. Wake the f*ck up and realise what is going on in the state of Irish football instead of just holding a wierd vendetta against Stephen Kenny just because he came from the LOI.

I find it bananas that anyone who purports to support the national team can in the same breath run down the LOI with no self awareness.

Ah here, another poster said Michael O'Neill should get the job.

A good suggestion, but it's very obvious self-awareness is not the forté of this bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I'm quoting this so I can technically like it twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

You ignored what I asked though. What's another manager going to drastically change?

Kerr has the highest win % of any Ireland manager since as far as I know. So what does that say?

But I think the LOI has to be part of the conversation because it's the only level that Kenny has had any level of success at.

And the only other time he left the LOI and managed at a higher level was a complete disaster.

The reality of it is is that LOI level success is not good enough for senior international level management.

Kenny may have blooded players but that's not his job as senior international manager.

His job is to get results and have a good shot at qualifing for major tournaments.

Kenny has done none of that.

He is out of his depth at this level and needs to be gone.

Chris Hughton has far far more experience at the highest levels of the game than Kenny will ever have.

That's why you need someone with that level of experience in the game as manager, not a guy who has had LOI success and nothing else.

Kerr had a fantastic squad to play with.

But he couldn't get them to beat Israel after being 2-0 up at home.

He hung his had on this notion that "one piece of brilliance from Henry' denied them qualification, when in reality they would not have qualified regardless of what Henry did.

A different manager will bring in pragmatism, will bring a level of experience to get the best out of what is available to him, and be totally results focused, regardless of how they play the game.

Not some guy trying some crusade to reinvent the way Ireland play, if that is even what Kenny is trying to do.

• Advertisement

Blooding players is part of his job. He was hired as under 21st while mick tried to get to the euros by any means. The plan all along was then for Kenny to refresh the squad.

"Is pragmatic and results focused."

Until the 'pragmatism' is found out and the results stop coming. Then what? Get another 'pragmatic' and 'results-focused (whatever the f*ck that means)' manager in and repeat the cycle over and over and over again?

We had a pragmatic manager in before Kenny and he set up to not lose against Georgia in a game where a win would have given us a much better chance of qualifying automatically for Euro 2020. At least Kenny is trying to actually win games instead of hitting and hoping.

Shane Long's Ireland career was ruined by manager after manager asking defenders to pump the ball up to him and hoping he could do something with it. He'll always have the goal against Germany but what else does he have? He forged a very successful Premier League career for himself and yet in an Irish shirt he was left hung out to dry by successive managers because they were 'pragmatic'.

Bollocks to that. The time for pragmatism is over and it's time to move on with a progessive form of football because if you think it's bad now, then 'pragmatic' managers will send us tumbling down the rankings. Teams like Luxembourg can gain some success playing progressively, yet the geniuses here believe we need to be 'pragmatic' like we have any f*cking entitlement to be qualifying for major tournaments with team whose first XI last night contained 2 U23 players, 3 U21s and 2 U19s.

Clueless and delusional. There's no other way about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It's reassuring to see the Sunday papers and some of the pundits from last night are questioning the direction forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Amazing to have so much to say about something with apparently little or no knowledge or insight.

It has everything to do with a LOI man at the helm. Only a LOI man would be given the time and the excuses by the media and some sections of support to carry on not getting results.

Remember the aim here was to win the group - and even I would excuse that as just a bit of manager puffery to back the players. If we are all honest, the aim would have been a decent NL campaign, second in the group would have been respectable. A relegation fight is where the team is though and that's on the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭athlone99

How do you know he was told to win games and qualify? Who in the FAI gave you that info? How do you know the FAI havent written off two campaigns because Kenny has to build a brand new team?

Every ex Irish International has said it took them 20-25 caps to feel comfortable and like they belonged in International football. All these young players getting caps and playing gopd football will stand to them in the long run, it might not be Kenny who brings them to a major tournamemt but he deserves the Euros. If it wasnt for bad luck he would have no luck.

How many games have the team been hammered? How many games have they lost by a single goal? How games have the lost to screamers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I thought it was a great game. Thought we played some really good incisive football for most of the game.

Pity Parrott couldn't finish what would have been a great goal and probably would have secured the win.

Id agree with people dissapointed with our points tally and current position in the table. Losing to Armenia put Kennys head on the block and you can't argue with that.

The Ukraine home loss was also dissapointing but I think the war etc gave that match an odd feeling.

Other wise results and performances have been decent in this tournament imo. Win against Armenia is a must. A convincing one at that too. Anything less and I think you'd need to sack him on pure principle and be done with it.

Anyone calling to bring in big Sam if Kenny does go is a moron, sorry to say it. You've no clue.

Most stupid thing of all from the people complaining about us losing to "minnows" is they all went through the process we are now and that's why they are beating us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

I find anyone that calls to bring in your Big Sam's etc is the type that isn't even involved in their local club. Because involved in grassroots football understands what an absolute mess the system is and appreciates what Kenny and his coaches are trying to do.

The Big Sam supporters remind me of the U10 coaches that show up in their spotless tracksuits, shout at kids to "GET IT OUT" "PUMP IT UP TO JOEY(the tallest kid on the pitch)" and then celebrates like hes Carlo Ancellotti because they won division 4 of the Carlow League. Thankfully in my experience those types of coaches are disappearing and being replaced by coaches that want to teach how to play football, none of this pragmatic shite spouted on here

• Advertisement

When we do win it is often comfortably too which hardly any Irish manager ever achieved. Almost all of them sat back on a 1-0 lead and ended up with a draw. So ya we used get draws against better teams and then draws against weaker teams and usually end up not qualifying anyway.

Was McCarthy a pragmatic manager? Late stage O'Neill? I can't remember enjoying many of those games or even the performances in them. Even if the results haven't gone our way there is a sense that the performances and the players becoming more accustomed to playing with each other will have them playing above themselves. As it is with the teams out yesterday I don't think there can be any expectation that we could beat them. They could have with a bit more composure from Parrott and Obafemi in the first half. The manager would find it very hard to legislate for that.

Teaching players how to play football is not the role of the senior manager. One would expect that they know how to do that already.

The role of the senior manager is to get results. Results do not have to be attained by "attractive" football. A pragmatic approach is required at senior level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

What Kenny is doing IS the pragmatic thing. It's the thing that's been proven to be how football has developed and evolved. Attractive doesn't even come into it, it's just the thing that now gives you a chance, where teams lumping it up the field and hoping for a break definitively no longer works. If you can't pass a bit to take the pressure off, you'll simply be eaten alive, as we increasingly saw with our own teams under O'Neil and McCarthy. Our problem is just that we've started this process later than everyone else, so we're playing catch up a bit, but anyone watching can see we've improved a lot as a team and that the players are fully invested.

• Advertisement

Doing what is needed to get results.

If that means taking off a good technical player for someone less so but that can cause mayhem, do it.

Sacrificing a system to adapt to the opposition.

Look back at the closing minutes of Ireland v Germany in Japan.

Ireland under Mick v 1.0 were great for passing it around, and that's what they were doing that night.

But what got that result was a big long ball into the box.

And no one gave a s**te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Our team demonstrably HAS been adapting to the opposition, like even the most cursory glance at our matches has shown that. Do you really think we've been going into games against Portugal the same as against Luxembourg? Cause if so, I don't know what to say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I would be confident that ireland will win next week and we will limp to a mid table position in the next qualification campaign based on the evidence of the last few matches. I think the longterm damage will be that the next ireland manager will go back to the lump the ball up the field tactics to scrape wins. He will not trust this group of players to play good football and win.

Ferguson looking like he might be our best striker prospect might fast track a move to this. If he turns out to be what he looks like he could be then rather than playing a system like he'll no doubt be learning at Brighton it will be to get the ball to him in the box ASAP and let him try score.

The likes of Ogbene and Molumby are good players for us now and for the next few years that would probably be obscure under any of these other managers. It may not work out to the level we want but it's a lot better than it could have been with another 2 years under Mick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

You dont think it is depressing that the manager who has been brave enough to play good football will most likely end up with our worst win record in 50 years? There is no way that if the next manager is told to qualify for a tournament that he will ever risk playing the ball on the ground.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement